Author Topic: broken oven glass  (Read 2615 times)

Offline PizzaSuperFreak

• Pizza SuperFreak! Superfreak!...Rick James, b#@ch!
broken oven glass
« on: May 15, 2005, 06:40:59 PM »
well, i just broke the oven glass by a drop of water dripping on the glass when i had the oven up to around 800 degrees.

varasano, i didn't heed your warning about wrapping the glass in foil.

so my next question is, how did you have it repaired?

thanks.

i'm so stupid.

Offline varasano

• Seeking perfection
Re: broken oven glass
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2005, 11:03:17 PM »
Boy... what can I say...

You have to call a repairman. The manufacturer will have a website and from there you can find a referral to a local repairman.  Or you can try and call Sears, or Lowes or any place that sells appliances. Probably even home depot.

I should cost around $125 - $150.  Have your exact model number ready so they don't make a mistake and have to make 2 trips with the wrong glass.

When you do wrap it in foil next time make sure the foil is loose so that the heat will disperse across the surface area rather than transmit through it to the glass. 2 layers of loose foil is not a bad idea. I'm going to beef up this instruction and warning on my page.

Jeff

Offline PizzaSuperFreak

• Pizza SuperFreak! Superfreak!...Rick James, b#@ch!
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2005, 09:14:08 AM »
ok. thanks for your advice.

man, i feel so stupid. it was a drop of water from my hands, and i was just being careless. i couldn't believe how it happened. it was like slow motion watching that single drop fall, then touch the glass, and quickly shatter it like thin ice breaking on a pond.

thank goodness there's 3 panes of glass, well, 2 now. perhaps i can get away with just those 2?

well, i needed another oven anyway because we remodeled our kitichen. problem is, my wife probably wont let me experiment with this new oven. i guess i gotta start using the charcoal grill!!

thanks jeff,

- PSF

Offline MTPIZZA

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2005, 07:18:22 AM »
I broke my oven door glass on a Whirlpool oven (its about 7 years old)... I found a website that carried the replacment glass and they shipped it to me..was'tn too expensive either. My door also had 3 panes of glass and it was the inner glass I broke while spraying water on loaves of bread I had baking. Anyway, the instruction booklet with the oven allows you to pull out and down on the door and the hinges give way...off comes the door. The glass was delivered and I had to remove screws and clips surrounding the broken glass. You just have to take it step by step...the reassemble the opposite way you took everything apart. The hardest part was putting it back on the oven ..the hinges have to click into their respective slots...but I did it myself and could do it again if need be... Look into it yourself if you can't find the help you need.. Lots of companies have their manuals online and you can look up your model then hunt down the glass...good luck...

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2005, 10:07:17 AM »
I cleaned the inside of my oven door glass (long story) without much difficulty. A couple of screws and I had the door apart. The glass would be very easy to replace (I own a Whirlpool electric oven).
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.