Author Topic: WFO layout  (Read 1395 times)

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
WFO layout
« on: April 16, 2011, 10:05:43 AM »
Iím helping a friend plan an outdoor pavilion with a WFO so Iíve been thinking a lot about workflow and layout.  I hope I can get your ideas on whatís important and what makes it work well. 

I made a vid of my setup (poorly done, sorry!):
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMFp0mo0Z2I" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMFp0mo0Z2I</a>

Iím right handed so the peel has to face to the left.  I use a wooden peel like typically seen in Naples but I do the job solo so I need it to be in a position where I can drag the pie onto it without holding it.  my workstation is a little more than the length of a peel away from the oven so I donít have to back up with the peel or maneuver it around much.  I can just pick it up and turn to the oven.  My station is to the left of the oven center so my fire is on the right. 

WFO guys, how does your workflow setup help or hinder your pizzamaking?  What would you change about it if you were starting over? 

Offline Jackie Tran

Re: WFO layout
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 08:16:20 AM »
Sorry I can't help bill but wanted to bump this thread.  Also wanted to say that I like your video.  Your dough and pizzas look wonderful. 

Chau

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 08:36:51 AM »
thanks Chau.  I know you've thought about this a lot.  The pavilion will have a wood burning grill so it will be similar to your ODK.  Fortunately, we have lots of space to work with. 

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 09:07:33 AM »
My layout was dictated more by the tight quarters available than by a deliberate design. Fortunately, it worked out well but I would like a convenient place to keep serving platters warm. In the winter the temp can be in the single digits or even negative digits F, so a plate that has been sitting for even a minute or two outside can be ice cold. I've tried a couple of ways to keep the plate close enough to the fire so that isn't too hot to handle and but also out of the way. Still thinking about how to solve this.

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 10:09:01 AM »
 i cannot help either,i also wanted to complement your video. your method,and the finished products are nicely done!!

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 06:09:31 AM »
cool video.....

i use a GiMetal peel, the kind that you slip under the pizza, so my setup has the workstation right by the oven.... ill try to post a pic or a video...

just found a pic.... this is old (wen the oven was built 2008) the peel was not GiMetal yet.....

« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 06:15:11 AM by andreguidon »
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." Leonardo da Vinci

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 07:38:12 AM »
Andre , Just Curious GI Square/rect  head or Round for slipping under? I like the square keeps it flat
john
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2011, 07:51:26 AM »
square front...

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2011, 08:30:02 AM »
I worked for a guy who was heavily involved in the science of kitchen design from a workability standpoint (we sold custom cabinets).  His theory was "the triangle".  Creating a triangle between the sink, oven, and counter.  As it applies to the WFO: prep area, oven, finish/plating area.  MY final plan is (standing in front of the oven with the grill next to it) is sink and finish on left, prep directly in front of oven on an island such that when I place the lip of the peel on the prep table, the handle rests on the oven entry.

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2011, 10:02:15 AM »
Zaman, i appreciate that!  i learned everything i know right here.
Andre, your setup looks great, i really like your concrete work and how the counters integrate with the oven stand.  That really gives me some ideas.
Tscarborough, i had forgotten about seeing the oven prop on some pizzeria videos before, that's a great setup. it also fits with the peel length away from the oven dimension. thanks!

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2011, 12:30:43 PM »
thanks wheelman, this picture the area was not ready, now its all painted and better finished..... i have a video i am about to upload to youtube....