Author Topic: NY Made With Bouncer Flour  (Read 6555 times)

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
NY Made With Bouncer Flour
« on: April 20, 2011, 06:22:01 PM »
I think these turned out pretty good.I did not rotate the pizza on time,I got distracted so one side got a little more rise than the other.
 :-D
This was for my wife and kids,half cheese,half pepperoni.The Pepperoni is under the cheese.Bouncer seems to be a very good HG flour so far.I'm amazed at how much the rim was exploding,even with a screen.

Also I didn't get a chance to take inside pics of the crumb/rim since everyone was hungry and ready to eat.They LOVED it.I also did not cook it a little longer,since they dont want a well done,more charred bottom like I prefer.

I tried to add pics directly to this page,but I cant seem to figure out how to resize them.I just tried again and gave up.
 :angel:

Here is the recipe.

17 inch pizza dough.(intended,stretched out for the 18 inch screen)

Bouncer HG,60% hydro.IDY

Flour (100%):    386.94 g  |  13.65 oz | 0.85 lbs
Water (60%):    232.17 g  |  8.19 oz | 0.51 lbs

*IDY (0.3%):    1.16 g | 0.04 oz | 0 lbs | 0.39 tsp | 0.13 tbsp *

Salt (2.0%):    7.74 g | 0.27 oz | 0.02 lbs | 1.61 tsp | 0.54 tbsp
Oil (2.0%):    7.74 g | 0.27 oz | 0.02 lbs | 1.72 tsp | 0.57 tbsp
Sugar (2.0%):    7.74 g | 0.27 oz | 0.02 lbs | 1.94 tsp | 0.65 tbsp
Total (166.3%):   643.49 g | 22.7 oz | 1.42 lbs | TF = 0.1

* IDY was dropped to 1/4 tsp. from the recipe specs.The dough was cold risen for 2 days.

The pics are at my photo account here.

http://s1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff479/BillsPizza86/BouncerPizza/
-Bill

Offline chickenparm

Re: NY Made With Bouncer Flour
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 11:50:51 PM »
Did it look that bad folks?

-Bill

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 03:01:07 AM »
let your dough warm up more before you stretch and bake it
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

Offline PizzaHog

• Heat matters!
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 09:03:22 AM »
Looks dang good to me!  Love the top char and big cornicione.  Better than anything I have ever baked on a screen.  Nice job!

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2011, 09:41:28 AM »
sorry I missed it the first time.  Looks good to me.   ;)

Chau

scott123

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2011, 12:02:12 PM »
Bill, I'm glad you're happy with the Bouncer flour. With the extra oven spring you're getting, you might want to think about dialing back the thickness factor a bit.  With less dough, you get even a bit more oven spring.

How was the form? Was it fighting you a bit? 60% hydration 14% protein flour doughs can get pretty tight.  60% might be fine for 12.7% protein KABF, but 14% bouncer has a higher absorption value, most likely in the 63% realm. As you add more water, the crust has a tendency to get a little tougher.  You can offset this with a shorter knead (cottage cheese appearance before refrigeration) and/or blending the Bouncer with some A/P.  I'm really enjoying my 66% All Trumps 33% AP blend, although I'm really biding my time until I can get my hands on a 13%ish protein bromated flour.

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2011, 01:55:25 PM »
Bill
I think it looks great, especially the bottom!!!!  It's a beauty!!

John

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2011, 04:45:30 PM »
Thanks folks.Im hoping I can get the pictures posted straight onto here soon.I'm still having trouble using this old pc here.

The TF or thickness factor,I have found for myself,the size I use lets me stretch more without tearing a hole or making it too thin in the center when opening.If I make a doughball for a certain size,I usually make the pies larger anyway,so I just left the TF alone and didnt pay it much mind.

In the beginning,I did alot of my dough mixing by hand and it did not knead very well.The bread machine does a much better job so I will try dialing back the size,and see if the oven spring is better or same.

I also make a dough one size smaller and stretch it larger.I'm finding my 16 inch doughball,even with a TF of .10 still makes a great 18 inch pie.The dough does not get any holes or tears either so it works well.

My doughs are very extensible.I can use it a few minutes out of the cold fridge and they will open up easily.I have to be careful not to stretch them too large or they will end up being too big for the screen or the stone if I make it smaller.So thats probably why it may have looked a little smaller than the screen this time.

I will put the dough down after shaping,on top of the screen, to see how much more I have to do.I only did this twice for this pie.I could have picked up a third time and opened it a little more,but said,nah this is OK for now.Im no pro at picking dough up and shaping it so I take my time and make sure I get the size I need or a tad bit smaller.

Also,making the pie smaller than the rim,gives me something to grab on to with the oven mitts while taking it out.
 :)

-Bill

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2011, 04:50:37 PM »
Scott,
If you read this,I thought bouncer and KABF had very close to the same protein rate?

I have read mixed numbers so I don't know for sure whats gospel.

Whats weird is,the doughs behaved exactly the same,looked the same,when using the same recipe.Using the machine to mix,you cannot tell the 2 apart.The only thing I noticed about the Bouncer,was the crust was a bit more chewier or border line on leathery a bit.

Im assuming it could use a wetter hydro like you suggested?

Anyways thanks for all the comments and suggestions.
-Bill

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2011, 05:00:16 PM »
Bill,

As I noted at Reply 9 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,10002.msg89757/topicseen.html#msg89757, the Bouncer flour has a protein content of 13.8 +/- 0.3%. The KABF has a protein content of 12.7 +/- 0.2%. Usually you will get a bit more chew from using a higher protein flour, as well as a bit more crust coloration.

Peter

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2011, 05:17:48 PM »
Bill,

As I noted at Reply 9 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,10002.msg89757/topicseen.html#msg89757, the Bouncer flour has a protein content of 13.8 +/- 0.3%. The KABF has a protein content of 12.7 +/- 0.2%. Usually you will get a bit more chew from using a higher protein flour, as well as a bit more crust coloration.

Peter

THanks Pete!

Its strange,I thought I read somewhere,someone said KABF was about 13.5 protein.I must have read another flour spec and thought they were speaking of KABF.
-Bill

scott123

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2011, 05:56:30 PM »
Im assuming it could use a wetter hydro like you suggested?

Yes, although, like I said, more water translates into a chewier end product. 14% protein flour cold fermented doughs have to be fairly severely underkneaded or they end up like leather. Since it sounds like you're tied into a machine kneading regimen, I would go with a blend of 66% bouncer and 33% all purpose (any brand).  As you cut the strength of the Bouncer with AP, you can knead the dough to peak gluten development and not be worried about leatheriness.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 05:59:27 PM by scott123 »

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2011, 06:23:38 PM »
Bill and Scott,

I ran the 1/3-2/3 numbers through the Mixed Mass Percentage Calculator at http://foodsim.unclesalmon.com/ on the assumption that the main or base flour is the Bouncer flour and the all-purpose flour is the King Arthur all-purpose flour, and the protein content of the blend is 13.1%. I think that that is a good number. In fact, I think that a number like that is in a kind of sweet spot. After looking at nutrition information for some well known pizza operators, I wouldn't be surprised if the pizza chains, both large and small, that have proprietary flour blends made exclusively for them have protein contents around 13%, give or take a fraction of a percent. There are at least two advantages for them. They can market that they use a special proprietary blend made solely for them, with the implication that they have a unique and special product, but cost might also be a factor, especially at times like these where the higher protein/gluten flours have become quite expensive, even if the increase is not all that much at the dough ball level. With volume, the differences add up. It might also be that the lower protein contents of the blends produce a very good product.

I think it is worth trying a blend like Scott suggests. And the blend can always be tweaked based on the results achieved.

Peter

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2011, 09:03:05 PM »
Thanks Guys!
I will try a blend in another week or so.I'm taking a minor break from pizzas for now.I say NOW,that but I will probably make another tomorrow or the next day.

I do want to experiment more with sauces more and get better at it too.
-Bill

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2011, 11:05:27 PM »
Made two 63% hydration Bouncer pies today,dough was 17 inch with a TF at .08.I stretched it close to 18 inch as possible to match my screen.It was actually 17 and half when done.

I also tried to make a pie with a smallish rim,busting the bubbles as I shaped the circle on the counter, and not cooked as well done,per my wife's request.She does not like puffy rims or well done crusts like I do.I was really blown away by how damn good the pizza was.I only had a slice,and it was so hard not to eat 3-4 more.

The picture I have of it does not do it justice at all.It flat out beat my KABF pies and my wife and family told me they love my pies with this flour over KA.You can see in the picture,the rim looks very light in color.Not my typical pie,but wow,so good!

I am amazed at how well this pizza tasted.From the machine to the fridge rise,was less than 24 hours total,and it tasted far superior to many of my KABF pies that were cold risen for 2-3 days!

It was also not leathery at all,despite being 100% bouncer and not mixed with AP or another flour.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 11:07:01 PM by chickenparm »
-Bill

Offline jever4321

« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2011, 12:37:51 AM »
Pie looks awesome Bill. I would eat that entire pie right now... With a big smile on my face. ;D
-Jay

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2011, 12:49:50 AM »
Pie looks awesome Bill. I would eat that entire pie right now... With a big smile on my face. ;D

Thanks Jay...I am really digging using this flour alot now.Scott was right about it as well.I wish I had taken some pics of the other pie I made,it was a pepperoni pie/cheese pie,and was awesome as well.By the time they ate all of it,and I made this one,I was only able to get one good picture of the cheese only pie.

That was gone just as fast.

-Bill

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2011, 02:07:27 AM »
Bill
Is Bouncer flour something you can pick up anywhere..or do you special order....in fact, how many different flours are available to you where you live??  I got slim pickins up here.  I also would eat your whole pizza...it looks great!!!

John

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2011, 06:14:16 AM »
Bill,

Your Bouncer flour pie looks very tasty!  :)

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2011, 02:11:01 PM »
Thanks John and Norma!

John,I found the Bouncer High Gluten flour at GFS (Gordon's Food Marketplace).I guess I was lucky in a sense.There are slim pickings in my area as well.Not much around here to be choosy with.

The GFS store also has Primo Gusto Flour as well.I have not tried that, did not feel the need to as of yet,because the frozen dough balls I made pizza with a while back,is made from the same Primo flour,so I felt I had a good enough Idea about it.I do plan to buy a bag of it down the road and post my results,but that may be a while.

I am still working on finding the mix that gives me the balance I'm gonna truly love.I don't plan to use it 100% strength all the time,I want to make it a little more crispier with the right amount of chew.

I do want to try other flours like ALL Trumps and a few others down the road,but am still very happy with using this one I can find locally.The others,I will have to mail order or make a long road trip to the next big city somewhere.

-Bill

pizzapan