Author Topic: used sp5 tabletop spiral mixer for sale $900  (Read 4205 times)

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
used sp5 tabletop spiral mixer for sale $900
« on: April 20, 2011, 11:38:14 PM »
I can't believe this, but I did a search the other day for used spiral table top mixers and there there are two esmach sp5 spiral mixers for sale right now in the US.   One is on craigslist and one was on a bread baking website.      I contacted both people and have decided to go with the red one because it matches my kitchen (how metro of me).    I just wanted to post this in case anyone is interested.   They have been going up in price, and new they are currently $1600 plus shipping.  Both of these sellers were willing to sell them for 900 plus shipping, which I think is a pretty good deal.   Both mixers are in like new condition.   If anybody wants the contact info for the guy with white one just let me know.   

Offline Jackie Tran

Re: used sp5 tabletop spiral mixer for sale $900
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 11:44:43 PM »
Scott, what is the smallest batch that can be mixed in this mixer?

Chau

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 11:49:32 PM »
I think about 1000g, but we have some members here that actually own this mixer,  maybe they will let us know.   I know the spirals I have used at pizzerias can do absolutely tiny batches with no issue, so I don't see why this would be much different.  I have been pm'ing with one of our forum members, matthew, and he told me that this thing is crazy windowpaining for him even at 78% hydration.   I think this is the way to go for wet doughs, but well see.   Im going to put it up against a DLX, which is also great for high hydrations.   The nice thing about these spiral mixers is that they work great for really high or really low hydrations.  
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 11:53:19 PM by scott r »

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 03:26:47 PM »
Looks like this is gone... to a happy forum member!  get ready for the shootout threads.   

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 06:44:07 PM »
Are you going to compare just the sp5 and the dlx or are you going to add in the bosch as well?

buceriasdon

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 08:56:31 PM »
I'm set on the DLX and I will be bringing one back this summer from the USA but I would be interested in such a thread. Gosh and golly, I might be even able to post on it  :P
Don

Are you going to compare just the sp5 and the dlx or are you going to add in the bosch as well?

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 09:11:21 PM »

I already know the deal on the bosch.    Theres no question in my mind that its the best I have tried so far in the range of typical pizza dough hydrations (55-65%).     I think the sp5 is going to be as good for all of that, then also be even better at high hydrations.    For me the DLX only made great dough at high hydrations, but up in that range im not really sure who's going to win.  

I sold my DLX, so I was secretly planning on asking you to help with the shootouts at some point.    Funny that you showed up here ;D
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 09:15:20 PM by scott r »

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2011, 09:54:59 PM »
I sold my DLX, so I was secretly planning on asking you to help with the shootouts at some point.    Funny that you showed up here ;D

Yea... about that, I sold the DLX back in December. Sorry... :(. I might be getting another mixer though ;D.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 09:59:28 PM by BrickStoneOven »

Offline Jraducha

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2011, 12:41:16 AM »
I want a spiral mixer.  What ones, brands do you recommend?

Thanks

Offline Matthew

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2011, 04:59:41 PM »
I want a spiral mixer.  What ones, brands do you recommend?

Thanks

The SP5 is amazing, built like a tank & does an incredible job at any hydration.

Matt

Offline Matthew

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2011, 05:11:52 PM »
Looks like this is gone... to a happy forum member!  get ready for the shootout threads.   

Congrats buddy, I'm really happy for you.  If you want to disable the kill switch so that you can lift the guard without the mixer turning off let me know & I'll explain how.  It looked really easy at first but ended up being a huge pain in the ass until I figured it out.  I also figured out how to clean it in less than 5 minutes.

Matt

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2011, 09:21:31 AM »
Im definitely going to need to do this, yes, whats you method for removing the switch and cleaning?   

Offline Matthew

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2011, 07:25:20 PM »
Im definitely going to need to do this, yes, whats you method for removing the switch and cleaning?   

Send me a PM as soon as you get it.

Matt

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2011, 08:25:42 PM »
great, thanks!

Offline Jraducha

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2011, 12:34:55 AM »
Where do you guys recommend that I get one of these SP5s?  I am ready!

Thanks

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2011, 10:20:07 AM »
sorry, been off the forum for a while.   Im not sure anyone bought the white one yet?  I found it on craigslist.   ill pm you the guys number.    If someone buys this do me a favor and post here...thx!   

pizzapan