Author Topic: Where to get 6-in-1  (Read 2123 times)

Offline dakuda

Where to get 6-in-1
« on: April 21, 2011, 10:48:31 AM »
I am getting the deep dish pizza down pretty well.  First attempt was too light on the toppings but the crust was great.  Second attempt fixed the toppings but I cooked it a bit too long.  I view that as progress.  Third time is the charm.

Anyway, where can I get the 6in1 tomatoes that I see mentioned?  I have yet to see them in any local stores so far(NW suburbs of Chicago). 

Offline Ronzo

• Beer, Whiskey, Freedom n' Pizza...
    • New Texian Brewery
Re: Where to get 6-in-1
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 10:51:54 AM »
I am getting the deep dish pizza down pretty well.  First attempt was too light on the toppings but the crust was great.  Second attempt fixed the toppings but I cooked it a bit too long.  I view that as progress.  Third time is the charm.

Anyway, where can I get the 6in1 tomatoes that I see mentioned?  I have yet to see them in any local stores so far(NW suburbs of Chicago). 
If you can't find them in your area, you can buy them directly from Escalon. https://www.escalon.net/shop.aspx I've bought them directly before and their shipping was reasonable.
Fuggheddabowdit!

~ Ron

Former NY'er living in Texas
http://newtexianbrew.com - http://pinterest.com/NewTexianBrew

Offline loowaters

• Where's my knife and fork?
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 05:52:48 PM »
Check Jewel.  My Mom would grab some for me at the store in Ingleside near Fox Lake at 12 & 134 to restock me when she visits. She may have grabbed some at a Butera as well.

Loo
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 05:55:04 PM by loowaters »
Using pizza to expand my waistline since 1969!

Offline orlando pizza man 1

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 08:19:29 PM »
dakuda, Try looking at the website for Caputo's www.caputomarkets.com. My wife and I always go back there when we make it back home. You will find them there as well as many others. Also try their house brands, La Bella Campana and Caputo's, I have had great success with them as well. Their prices are great and if you like vegetables they have great prices on those as well. Their pastas and deli items are very good as well. I think that you will be hooked once you go. Hope that you like it as much as we do. Good luck with your pizzas as well.

Offline Lespaul20

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 09:15:15 PM »
I second buying direct. It's cheap, even with shipping. It only takes about a week to ship to me, in Iowa.

Offline jonesyb

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2011, 02:33:22 AM »
Probably been asked by me already, I forget, but a UK based supplier of these tomatoes, or any other decent tomatoes would be good. Anyone?

Offline dakuda

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2011, 10:18:14 PM »
The Jewel here does not have it.  There is a Caputo's in Algonquin though, I'll give that a shot.  I pass by there on the way to work.

If not, then mail order it is.  Thanks.

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2011, 12:28:02 AM »
Does this help?

GFS Marketplace
1930 North Rand Road, Palatine, IL
(847) 934-0403 ‎

Try the GFS in your areas...google will show you where Gordon's Foods services are located.Mine carries the 6 in 1's in KY.They will also sometimes order stuff for you if you do not see it stocked.

-Bill

Offline BTB

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2011, 10:53:16 AM »
All the GFS stores that I've been to only sell the giant cans of 6 in 1's, which I don't like to use and find storage of the unused portions difficult.  I like the smaller 28 oz. cans of 6 in 1's and either order direct (shipping at 25 cents a can is dirt cheap) or find some at local Italian deli's (which you'll have to search out). 

When I first went into the deep dish style, I used 6 in 1's successfully, but then when visiting the classic deep dish pizzerias I noted my replicas lacked some of the more chunkier tomato pieces, which really enhances the deep dish pizza experience (even tho I don't normally like chunky sauces).  So I often found adding some chunky dice pieces of tomatoes, like from Glen Muir or other good brands, along with the 6 in 1's to be really good.  FWIW.                                       --BTB

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2011, 03:47:32 PM »
I bought a few small plastic round and square rubbermaid containers and poured the 6 in 1's into them.It saves a lot of space in the fridge over the big can!

Each container can hold about 3.2 cups and the slightly larger ones can hold 7.1 cups.Really helps with the space saving and storage in the fridge.

You can freeze the remainders as well.I hate the big can sizes,but once I divide it up,it does not seem like much anymore.Just a suggestion for those,if you cant find the smaller cans.

-Bill

Offline DonC

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2011, 05:35:35 PM »
I buy the big cans for about $5 at GFS and love the savings over buying the little 12oz cans/jars for $2each.We got some glass canning jars from Goodwill for under $1 each.When I open a big can I divide it into the jars,leaving a little space in each to expand.I keep one thawed in the fridge ready to use and the rest stored in the freezer.It's worked well for me for a couple yrs now.

Offline all1knew

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2011, 05:33:23 PM »
Hello all,

In the Naperville/Aurora area there is Michael's Fresh Market off Route 59, they have two can sizes.

Anyone ever tried using 6-in-1 on an American style crust?

Bill

Offline EZPIZZA

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2011, 02:59:06 PM »
Caputo's in Addison on Lake street had 6 in 1. I bought a dozen cans for 1.39 a 28oz can last summer when I was visiting Chicago.

pizzapan