Author Topic: Questions about using Sourdough Cultures  (Read 2984 times)

Offline tscaife

Re: Questions about using Sourdough Cultures
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2011, 10:56:34 AM »
Looks good Barry! Keep them coming!

I bought the Tartine Bread book and it has some great information about starters and how they work. I realize that when my dough was too sour I was using starter that was too mature. I decided to apply some the concepts from the book and made my doughs with the following process;

- Tuesday night pulled starter from the fridge and fed it 50g KABF and 50g cold water. Sat out overnight.

- Wed 6AM Starter had risen and receded. I mixed 1 TBSP of starter to 150g cold water and 150g KABF.

- Wed at 6PM my leaven had the overripe fruit smell described in the book. It also passed the float test.

- Made the dough with KABF, 20% young leaven, 65% hydration, 3% salt. Mixed Leaven, flour and water by hand until there was no dry flour, 30 min autolyse, added salt and kneaded for about one minute in the bowl. I stretched and folded the dough every 20 minutes for the next hour. Dumped the dough onto a work surface and made a large ball that rested for 30 minutes. Made dough balls and sat on counter in glad containers for about an hour before putting them in the fridge.

- This morning they had grown slightly and had bubbles showing a decent amount of activity.

I also received my infrared thermometer and should be getting my firebricks today. Will post pics tonight. Going forward I am going to post progress in this thread. http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13604.0.html

I still don't know what I am doing but, I feel like I have made some decent progress in a short period of time thanks to all of the info on this forum. When I stared this I thought "how hard can it be? Flour + water + yeast + hot grill = great pizzas". I wish it was that easy but, I am having a blast trying to figure it all out.

Thanks for looking!

TS

pizzapan