Author Topic: Biga Help  (Read 946 times)

Offline A-Neibs

Biga Help
« on: April 23, 2011, 11:51:21 AM »
When you make a biga, are you supposed to knead it for a few minutes? I was watching some videos on making one, and they just mixed the flour, water, and yeast together to make something that looked like pancake batter. When they were done mixing it they put it in the fridge. The other day I bought the Bread Baker's Apprentice by Peter Reinhart and for his biga, he says to mix everythng together and then knead it on the counter for 4 to 6 minutes. Any insight on this would be helpful. Thanks.

Offline apizza

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: Biga Help
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 01:06:14 PM »
I don't know what is correct, but I never have kneaded a biga, and have had no problems.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 01:25:05 PM »
A-Neibs,

If what you saw looked like a batter it most likely was a poolish, which has a hydration of 100% and cannot be kneaded. I have not seen the formulation for the Reinhart biga but a biga technically is a fairly stiff dough and can be kneaded.

Peter

Offline A-Neibs

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 01:30:04 PM »
Yeah, I'm looking in his book under Poolish and it is just a thick pancake batter. He says they are interchangeable in a recipe. I'm going to try dough with biga, so I guess I'll be kneading it. Thanks so much for the clarification Peter.

Offline apizza

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2011, 01:35:02 PM »
Thank you Peter, I guess I've been making a poolish all this time.  :-[

pizzapan