Author Topic: Trail doughs in the Universal Bread Maker..any ideas?  (Read 16889 times)

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
Re: Trail doughs in the Universal Bread Maker..any ideas?
« Reply #120 on: June 19, 2011, 02:11:18 AM »
Peter,

Thanks for explaining what you meant by flexibility and using the stretch and folds or reballs.  I will see how the 5 dough balls handle on Monday and can understand where John’s suggestion to do the bulk ferment and then do the division and scaling later, might work, because the dough would be colder.  I know I have taken some higher hydration dough balls out of the fridge (at home), and did some stretch and folds or reballs on them and they were much easier to handle, than doughs that were just made. 

I know Tom does frequently say, it something works don’t mess with it (or something similar).  That is a great saying.  :)

Great to hear if there are any problems with the hybrid Reinhart doughs or pizzas, there is help.

Happy Father’s Day to you and all the other Father’s on the forum!

Norma

Norma and Peter
Just a quick note....I originally started experimenting with Reinhart's newest recipes because of two distinct reasons....1)they were a higher hydration dough, and also and probably mostly 2) his method of plopping down your mixed dough onto an oiled work surface to scale and ball the sticky dough.  I admit that scraping the dough out of the bowl is a chore, but once it's out the rest is simple....I  do a stretch and fold simply to coat the dough, and then scaling and balling are a snap.  I have never, ever even touched the dough again until it was time to reball.  I'm not saying one shouldn't or couldn't do stretch and folds if they thought they needed to...just saying I never have.  If I were to bulk ferment this dough, I wouldn't hesitate for a moment spraying my hands or using a little oil if I needed to...I just don't see where this will affect the dough negatively.  As an aside, I froze one of the doughs that had been in the fridge 72 hours.....just wanna see if this may be a way to store doughs and keep them fresh.  I'll test it in the next couple days.
Peter, thanks for all of the knowledge you bring....I really appreciate it!
John

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #121 on: June 19, 2011, 08:33:29 AM »
Norma and Peter
Just a quick note....I originally started experimenting with Reinhart's newest recipes because of two distinct reasons....1)they were a higher hydration dough, and also and probably mostly 2) his method of plopping down your mixed dough onto an oiled work surface to scale and ball the sticky dough.  I admit that scraping the dough out of the bowl is a chore, but once it's out the rest is simple....I  do a stretch and fold simply to coat the dough, and then scaling and balling are a snap.  I have never, ever even touched the dough again until it was time to reball.  I'm not saying one shouldn't or couldn't do stretch and folds if they thought they needed to...just saying I never have.  If I were to bulk ferment this dough, I wouldn't hesitate for a moment spraying my hands or using a little oil if I needed to...I just don't see where this will affect the dough negatively.  As an aside, I froze one of the doughs that had been in the fridge 72 hours.....just wanna see if this may be a way to store doughs and keep them fresh.  I'll test it in the next couple days.
Peter, thanks for all of the knowledge you bring....I really appreciate it!
John

John,

I also was leaning towards higher hydration doughs from trying the Pizzarium style doughs and learning better how to handle high hydration doughs.  I only began experimenting with Reinhart doughs after I saw the great results you were getting in different experiments, on your former Reinhart doughs, before the easy mixing method.  I also saw how easy the doughs were to prepare.  Where I probably went wrong in making the test 5 dough balls, is I didn’t oil the whole batch of dough.  I divided, scaled, and then oiled, when balling.  I can see your method of oiling and doing a stretch and fold, before dividing and balling would be much better in controlling the sticky dough.  I usually go about things the hard way, until someone points me in a better direction. I had a sticky trail everywhere, and kept trying to use the dough scraper to scrap it off.  :-D I will follow your method if I do another test dough batch. Thanks for the tips about what you would do if you bulk fermented the whole batch.  I will be interested in how your dough ball does since you froze it.  Looking forward to those results. 

I did try to up the hydration some on the preferment Lehmann dough and do an extra reball, but I didn’t like those results.  Your hybrid Reinhart seems to be the best.  Thanks for experimenting and sharing.  :) Hope you also have a great Father’s Day!

John, don’t you know Peter is one of the greatest Father’s of help on this forum with all his posts, experiments, and help with pizza.  It would be fitting to call him the “Father of Pizza”, for a day each year.  :pizza: Peter has held many forum members hands though all their experimenting, until they can achieve the results they want, helped with formulas, information, and also came up with so many clones.  He is also patient with all his help, even when members don’t get things right.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #122 on: June 19, 2011, 09:31:34 AM »
John and Norma,

Thank you both for your kind remarks. In return, I would say that the forum is indeed fortunate to have both of you posting on the forum as you do when you are trying to run pizza businesses that can consume a lot of your time and attention. We have several professionals on the forum but, for one reason or another, cannot devote much time to posting. I like to see professionals post because they bring a different perspective to the forum. And I think that many of our members who are considering becoming professionals themselves would benefit from the contributions of those who are already in the field. I will also single out member RoadPizza, who is a professional par excellence (his Sbarro operations in the Philippines routinely get some of the highest marks in the whole company), for his valuable contributions to the forum when he has a chance to post (I am sure he is now having to cope with the uncertainty that comes with the recent Sbarro bankruptcy filing). I have learned a lot from him, both on and off the forum, on how things are run on the other side. I am sure that Tom Lehmann will also bring a lot of useful knowledge from the other side, as I imagine he will learn a lot about how our home pizza hobbyist members think and act. I think he will be very surprised at how much our members can do, and what they know about pizza making and a lot of other things.

Peter

Offline Moondance

• Supporting Member
« Reply #123 on: July 08, 2011, 05:11:19 PM »
Hey Norma,
Look what I found at a sale.  It has, or had quite a bit of surface rust.  My husband used naval jelly and a brillo pad and cleaned it up quite nicely for me.  I didn't take a picture of that one yet.  It is in good condition otherwise.  The lid doesn't lay exactly flat, but not bad.  So I am rather anxious to try it out as you seem to love yours.  I have read most of this thread.  It looks like I can use my normal recipe eh?  What have you found is the smallest amount of dough you can make in your UBM? 

Regina

"Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where nature may heal and give strength to body and soul."
John Muir

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #124 on: July 08, 2011, 05:31:00 PM »
Hey Norma,
Look what I found at a sale.  It has, or had quite a bit of surface rust.  My husband used naval jelly and a brillo pad and cleaned it up quite nicely for me.  I didn't take a picture of that one yet.  It is in good condition otherwise.  The lid doesn't lay exactly flat, but not bad.  So I am rather anxious to try it out as you seem to love yours.  I have read most of this thread.  It looks like I can use my normal recipe eh?  What have you found is the smallest amount of dough you can make in your UBM? 

Regina,

Glad to hear you also found a UBM or “back to the future machine”.  ;D Your UBM does look in good condition.  The lid doesn’t really matter if you don’t want to proof the dough in the UBM.  Did you get the instruction book with the UBM?  If you didn’t and want any recipes from the book, I can post them for you.  The recipes are bread recipes. 

So far I really do love the UBM machine.  It seems to mix the dough gently.  I haven’t tried mixing any one dough ball doughs so far.  I think I have mixed about 1200 grams of dough so far in different attempts for two  16" pizzas.  If you don’t want to use that much of dough at one time, you could always divide and then freeze some dough.  I think you can use your regular dough.

I will be watching how you like your UBM and the doughs you make and your final pizzas.

Congrats!  :) :chef:

Norma

Offline Moondance

• Supporting Member
« Reply #125 on: July 08, 2011, 05:48:59 PM »
Regina,

Glad to hear you also found a UBM or “back to the future machine”.   Your UBM does look in good condition.  The lid doesn’t really matter if you don’t want to proof the dough in the UBM.  Did you get the instruction book with the UBM?  If you didn’t and want any recipes from the book, I can post them for you.  The recipes are bread recipes. 

So far I really do love the UBM machine.  It seems to mix the dough gently.  I haven’t tried mixing any one dough ball doughs so far.  I think I have mixed about 1200 grams of dough so far in different attempts for two  16" pizzas.  If you don’t want to use that much of dough at one time, you could always divide and then freeze some dough.  I think you can use your regular dough.

I will be watching how you like your UBM and the doughs you make and your final pizzas.

Congrats!   

Norma

I have been mixing for two 15" pizzas so I'll probably experiment with that some.  I did not get the instruction book with it.  I wish I did.  I wonder if they can be found on line.  I may do a little searching on that.  I'd love to see one of the bread recipes when you have time.  Thank you for offering.
Regina

"Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where nature may heal and give strength to body and soul."
John Muir

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #126 on: July 08, 2011, 06:18:28 PM »

I'd love to see one of the bread recipes when you have time. 

Regina,

At post 11 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13668.msg137118.html#msg137118  I posted this recipe for 4 loaves of bread from the recipe book.  Peter then helped me figure out a formula using manteca for the Lehmann dough.

As for the amounts of bread to be made in the Universal it says the No. 4 “Universal” has a capacity of from two to six loaves of bread.  It also tells about using a sponge.  One of the basic recipes for bread in the booklet says” Milk and Water Bread: 4 loaves.  1 pint scaled milk, 1 cake compressed yeast, 2 teaspoons salt, 1 pint warm water, 1 tablespoon lard 1 tablespoon butter, 1 tablespoon sugar, 3 quarts of flour. 

A little later tonight I will post more recipes if you want.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #127 on: July 10, 2011, 06:45:15 AM »
Regina,

These are some of the instructions and recipes for my UBM machine.  The number 4 “Universal” has a capacity of from two to six loaves of bread.  The number 8 “Universal” has a capacity of from four to six loaves.

Awarded the Gold Medal St. Louis Exposition, 1904

The “Universal” does the Mixing and Kneading of the dough in Three Minutes

The dough is not touched by the hands at all.

Twenty to thirty minutes of the work of hand Kneading is done in three minutes.

The Kneading is done scientifically, and the bread is much better than when Kneaded by hand.

The “Universal” mixes and kneads the dough with scientific accuracy, thoroughly and evenly mixing all the ingredients, so that each particle of flour is covered with a film of moisture, and , expanding, is thus more easily permeated by the heat in baking.

Thus every particle of starch is burst by the heat and so becomes digestible.

Imperfectly kneaded bread is full of unbroken starch cells.  That is why it is indigestible.

Bread made in the “Universal” is perfectly knead, free from unbroken starch cells, and there-fore entirely digestible.   

Milk and water bread (4 loaves)

1 pint scaled milk
1 cake compressed yeast
1 teaspoon sugar
1 pint water
1 teaspoon salt
3 quarts sifted flour

Put into a quart measure the milk and, when cooled to luke warm, fill up with luke warm water.  From this quart of liquid take ˝ cup and dissolve in the yeast.  Then pour the remainder of the quart of liquid into the Bread make and add the salt, sugar, and flour.

Shortening can be added, but it should be put into the quart measure before filling it up with the warm water.

Milk Bread
Proceed as above, using all milk instead of milk and water.

Milk Bread 4 loaves

1 quart scalded milk
1 cake compressed yeast
2 tablespoons of sugar
3 tablespoons lard
1 tablespoon salt
3 quarts sifted flour

Put into the quart measure the lard, salt and 1 cup boiling water.  Fill it up with scalded milk.  Let cool till luke warm.  Stir and pour into the Bread Maker, keeping back just enough of the liquid to thoroughly dissolve the yeast.

Add the dissolved yeast to the other liquids in the Bread Maker and lastly the sifted flour.

Rolls

Scalded Milk
1 cake compressed yeast
2 teaspoons sugar
3 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon salt
3 quarts sifted flour

Put into the quart measure the shortening, sugar, salt, and fill it up with scalded milk.  When cooled to a luke warm temperature, pour into the Bread Maker, keeping back about ˝ cup of the liquid in which to dissolve the yeast.  Pour the dissolved yeast also into the Bread Maker and add lastly the flour.

The “Universal” Break Maker will make anything that is raised with yeast.

If you want the recipes for Entire Wheat bread, Rye Bread, Raised Doughnuts, or Plain Water Bread, let me know and I will type out the recipes.

Norma

pizzapan