Author Topic: So it begins.....  (Read 23581 times)

Offline shuboyje

So it begins.....
« on: April 26, 2011, 08:13:12 PM »
With the nice weather coming I've decided it is time to pull the trigger and get started on my new oven.  My current oven was damaged by a 70 mph wind gust last fall and was going to take some major work to repair(A sheet of metal get blown into the stack like a sail and tore up the entire front section of the oven).  Perfect time to built what I wanted all along.

I decided to start with a CAD drawing of the oven brick by brick.  It's 42" in Diameter with a 12.75" interior dome height.  The dome and soldier will have 4.5" of mass and the floor will be 2.5".  I've decided to cast the entry out of castable refractory to allow me to form a true complete dome.  I haven't decided yet if that casting will be one piece or multiple.  The opening is an arch 18 inches wide and 8 inches tall.  The vent is going to go back over the dome and then vertical from the center of the oven in true naples fashion.

Needless to say I can't wait to get started.  I have the metal on hand to built the base, but have to finalize my decision on a couple of components(casters, insulation) to lock in the dimensions before I start fabricating and welding.  Odds are this is going to be a long drawn out built and done in my garage so there is no worry or rush due to the weather.  I'll post pictures as things get going. 
-Jeff

Offline Jackie Tran

Re: So it begins.....
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 08:34:56 PM »
Wow - very cool.  Looking forward to the build.  The drawing already looks like it will be a stunning oven.  If I had your skills, I wouldn't be messing around with FB that's for sure! 

Offline Tman1

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 08:52:36 PM »
I think you might want to consider some extra reinforcement on the outside. There is going to be outward pressure from the dome. Perhaps you have a ledge that it will be sitting on on the inside that I/we can't see from this drawing.

I re-read your post, and I think you're saying you might cast the dome too, so it might be a moot point.

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 09:07:00 PM »
There will certainly be reinforcement involved.  This is replacing my current low dome oven which I "buttressed" with stainless steel cable.  The current plan is to use the same method on this oven.  I also plan to use Stefano Ferrara's method of fiiling in the dome with castable but plan to use a much drier mix, figure it's a good idea since it will be on wheels(even though I don't plan on moving it frequently).
-Jeff

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 08:23:54 PM »
It lives!  I put in about 7 hours today on the base for the oven.  I figure I've got about 3 left until it's done making for 10 total to complete it.  It's a beast, the 3000 lb. caster that are going on the bottom are going to be the weakest link for sure, and that is good enough for me.
-Jeff

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 08:33:36 PM »
I'll try not to clog up your thread with my drool, but what a great start!  Looking forward to more updates.   :D

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 07:09:37 AM »
I am really looking forward to this build. Thanks for documenting the process, and hope to see alot more!

What gauge angle iron is that?

John

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 04:11:54 PM »
The angle is 3 x 3 x 1/4.
-Jeff

Offline forzaroma

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2011, 04:27:20 PM »
Are you buying every piece individually or will you buy some sort of kit?

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2011, 04:39:03 PM »
I'll be building it the old fashion way with locally sourced materials.  A kit would just lead to shipping costs through the roof and not much else.
-Jeff

Offline forzaroma

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2011, 05:07:58 PM »
yeah def way to go. Do you have a list of materials ready to go?

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2011, 07:40:14 PM »
Today was the first day I was able to work on the oven at all since sunday, but I made the best of it.  I got my hands on some scrap decking and was so excited I decided to jump the gun and work on that first.  As you can see I cut it into a 63" diameter circle which will support the under floor insulation and eventually the whole oven.  I also welded a few more small angles in to the middle opening to ensure it was rigid.  Last thing you want with a brick oven is movement.  Gotta love what I do for a living when it comes time for a project like this.  Everything I've used to far is scrap from the job site.  My total cost on the stand and deck will be a bout $5 worth of welding rod, $55 for the casters that are on their way, and the few bucks the paint will cost me.  I've seen people pay up to $1000 for a metal stand before, so needless to say I am one happy cheap man.
-Jeff

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2011, 07:54:37 AM »
Very cool! Looks like you're off to a good start!

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2011, 10:49:57 AM »
A full detailed thread on this build is going to really help out the forum, thanks for doing this!   

Offline Frankie G

• Lifetime Member
  • Wood-Fired ovens RULE!
    • Frankie G's Pizza Oven Project
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2011, 08:29:46 PM »
Very cool.... 

and really cool about reusing the "Scrap" stuff... 

looking forward to sharing your journey.

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2011, 11:33:35 AM »
She's done!  The stand is finally complete(minus maybe another quick coat of paint, it was still wet in places in this pic).  Here it is on the casters, deck installed and the temporary form ready for the hearth insulation to be poured.  The real meat of the build will start this week.  I can't wait.
-Jeff

Offline jonesyb

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2011, 11:58:56 AM »
It looks wheely good so far.

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2011, 07:09:11 PM »
Finally some progress to report.  The insulating hearth has been poured and allowed to dry for two weeks.  It is 4.5" or perlcrete which is perlite mixed 6:1 with portland cement.  Once good and dry I mixed up a 1:1 mix of sand and fireclay and made it into a wet slurry.  I then used a trowel to spread it across the rough surface of the insulating concrete.  Finally I screeded(if that is a word) it into a perfect flat surface.  Once it was dry I set the floor, which is a 42" diameter circle of fire brick 2.5" thick.  Now it's on to the most complex part of the entire build, the entry.  It will be castable refractory formed in a mold.  That means I need to build the mould(which is fairly complex) build a vibration table, and obtain some castable.  All doable, but it is gonna be fun and I'm sure I'll hit a speed bump or two even with all my planning. 
-Jeff

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2011, 08:54:39 PM »
Finally some progress to report.  The insulating hearth has been poured and allowed to dry for two weeks.  It is 4.5" or perlcrete which is perlite mixed 6:1 with portland cement.  Once good and dry I mixed up a 1:1 mix of sand and fireclay and made it into a wet slurry.  I then used a trowel to spread it across the rough surface of the insulating concrete.  Finally I screeded(if that is a word) it into a perfect flat surface.  Once it was dry I set the floor, which is a 42" diameter circle of fire brick 2.5" thick.  Now it's on to the most complex part of the entire build, the entry.  It will be castable refractory formed in a mold.  That means I need to build the mould(which is fairly complex) build a vibration table, and obtain some castable.  All doable, but it is gonna be fun and I'm sure I'll hit a speed bump or two even with all my planning. 

I have a few quick questions: what is the purpose of the sand/fireclay layer on top of the hearth, and is the firebrick mortared to the hearth? Thanks again for documenting.

John

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2011, 10:30:18 PM »
Insulating concrete is not like normal concrete.  It's rough and crumbly.  The surface would remind you of those old popcorn ceilings that were popular at some point before my lifetime.  Needless to say it's not ideal for setting a nice level cooking floor.  Most seem to mix the fire clay sand mixture into a thinset and install the floor like tile.  That is actually the method in the Pompei book.  I used it on my first oven, and attempted to use it on this one but am just not a fan.  Problem is in the heat of summer the mix dry's out so fast it is a race against the clock to set the floor before it set's up.  I decided to do it the way I described on the fly and found it to work much better IMHO.  Now if you use ceramic board insulation this is all a moot point.

The hearth bricks are not mortared in place.  If they ever have to be removed mortar would make it much harder, and there isn't really any need for it, when the oven is complete they aren't going anywhere.
-Jeff