Author Topic: LA Times: Mother Dough Pizza  (Read 2113 times)

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
LA Times: Mother Dough Pizza
« on: April 29, 2011, 08:23:47 PM »
Another Neapolitan pizzeria using a wild yeast starter:

http://www.latimes.com/features/food/la-fo-find-mother-dough-20110428,0,2990547.story

Peter

buceriasdon

Re: LA Times: Mother Dough Pizza
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 08:40:24 PM »
One word. Wow

Offline scott123

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 03:05:11 AM »
One word. Meh  ;D

Seriously, though, four months in India to learn dosa?! He must have spent 3 months and 3 weeks smoking bhang, because dosa can be mastered in less than a week.  Now... if he went to India to master naan... that's a different story.

He painted over the thermometer on the side of the oven. He didn't want to let himself rely on the numbers, on formulas.

::) I hope he blindfolds himself as well. A good pizzaiolo can never rely on sight.

The dough is hyper-responsive to slight changes in temperature and humidity, and dealing with it is a perpetual mix of improvisation, nurturing and bullying. "People ask me, 'Why don't you get somebody else to make your dough for you?'" says Compani. "I'm committing suicide here! I barely see my son anymore! They have no idea how hard it is to retain consistency. But the dough is everything that I have. It's the infrastructure of everything we do here."

Does Chad Robertson have a hard time 'retaining consistency?'  Does Nancy Silverton? Jim Lahey? Of course not.  Working with sourdoughs isn't rocket science.  You have to stay on top of feedings and control your variables, but, if you know what you're doing, you're not 'committing suicide.'  It just takes a learning curve- a learning curve that this guy most definitely hasn't experienced on his globe trotting vacat- I mean his 'international training'  ;D

Four months for dosa.  That's like saying I spent four months in a trailer park learning Kraft macaroni and cheese. Who's this guy kidding? In L.A., you expect a certain level of pretension and ignorance, but this is really pushing the envelope.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 03:09:08 AM by scott123 »

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 11:04:43 AM »

....  That's like saying I spent four months in a trailer park learning Kraft macaroni and cheese...

:-D :'( :-D :-D
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Online Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 06:29:58 PM »
Actually, it says he spent 4 months trying to find someone to teach him Dosa, and it is a good thing you predicated your comment on Mac and cheese with "Kraft".  What I like is how hard he works to keep it consistent, but in the latter part admits that the taste and texture vary because it is a sourdough.  So long as he can make it work, more power to him.

Online Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2011, 06:31:14 PM »
Also a few pics of the pizzas would have been a nice touch.

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 05:34:21 PM »
Also a few pics of the pizzas would have been a nice touch.

I was just about to say that. Also of the oven. How are you going to have a picture of the waiter and not the oven...

"When Compani ran out of Italian bufala mozzarella one night, he shut his restaurant down rather than stoop to using cow's milk mozzarella. He refuses to take any modifications to his pizzas because he can't bear to throw off the particular balance of Neapolitan pizza."

Kind of made me think of a copycat AM.

foolishpoolish

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2011, 09:11:21 AM »

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2011, 09:32:23 AM »
That pizza looks spot on perfect IMHO. And that, no doubt, is a Stefano Ferrara oven.

John

buceriasdon

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2011, 09:43:30 AM »
Ditto

That pizza looks spot on perfect IMHO. And that, no doubt, is a Stefano Ferrara oven.

John

Offline scott123

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2011, 12:33:55 PM »

John

Seriously?  Are you and I both looking at the same photo?  ;D

The char is a bit excessive, the leoparding is weak, and the cheese hasn't melted sufficiently.

I'm not saying it's horrible, but, perfect?

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2011, 09:19:14 PM »
Just Curious- whats with the screens ? cooling? cooking ?  ???
J
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

pizzapan