Author Topic: Fairmont Bagel Pizza, Thanks to Marc  (Read 9816 times)

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Fairmont Bagel Pizza, Thanks to Marc
« Reply #50 on: December 14, 2010, 10:17:26 PM »
more pictures

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #51 on: December 14, 2010, 10:19:38 PM »
more pictures

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #52 on: December 14, 2010, 10:21:33 PM »
end of pictures

Norma

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #53 on: December 14, 2010, 10:30:51 PM »
Norma,  that pizza looks amazingly good.  How was it?  -marc

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #54 on: December 14, 2010, 11:38:09 PM »
Norma,  that pizza looks amazingly good.  How was it?  -marc

Marc,

Thanks for saying the pizza looked amazingly good.  :)  It was really good.  I would never thought a bagel dough could make a good pizza, but it can.  It still didn't have the same taste as my first attempt.  I don't know why, but can now see that some doughs for pizza can be mixed for a long while. 

Thanks for starting your thread about the Fairmont Bagels.  ;D  I am having fun with these experiments with the bagel dough.  Did you try a bagel dough pizza?

Norma

Offline chickenparm

• In Memoriam
  • Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #55 on: December 15, 2010, 11:20:30 PM »
Wow,I really loved reading this topic!

I am a bread person...I love good breads,hard rolls and bagels.

Those pizzas looks great and fantastic spring...I wish I could sample some of those.

I will be sure to try the recipe after I get my mixer...I am really impressed Norma,you have outdone yourself again and again.Looking forward to more of your experiments and pizzas!
 :chef:
-Bill

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #56 on: December 15, 2010, 11:50:23 PM »
Wow,I really loved reading this topic!

I am a bread person...I love good breads,hard rolls and bagels.

Those pizzas looks great and fantastic spring...I wish I could sample some of those.

I will be sure to try the recipe after I get my mixer...I am really impressed Norma,you have outdone yourself again and again.Looking forward to more of your experiments and pizzas!
 :chef:

Bill,

Great to hear you are a bread person.  :) I love good breads, hard rolls and bagels, too.  Thanks for saying the Fairmont pizzas look great.  I still canít understand how this last pizza got so much oven spring, but think it was from whatever hydration there was in the dough.  The dough was something like a Tartine dough.  I learned a lot from reading the Tartine book and being able to then work with a higher hydration dough. 

Thanks for saying you will try this recipe after you get your mixer.  It was only a few months ago, that I bought a mixer for home.  Before that I either mixed the dough in my food processor, by hand, or even with my hand electric mix a few times.  I love to experiment and see what happens when making different kinds of pizzas.  I tried this really long mixing time for this last pizza and I never thought the dough would come out okay. 

You should look at Marcís thread on the Fairmont bagels if you like bagels.  His bagels did turn out well.

Keep up your experimenting.  ;D  Not to long ago, I really didnít know anything about pizzamaking.

Norma

Offline chickenparm

• In Memoriam
« Reply #57 on: December 16, 2010, 12:04:37 AM »
Norma,
I wanted to ask,do you know how to cook a pizza dough ball into a fine bread?

The reason I ask,I took 2 of the dough balls and shaped them so they would be in somewhat of a circle and I cooked them that way.

They blew up into a nice crusted covered ball of bread.But the insides were still a bit gooey when I cut it open when I thought they were done...so I cooked them cut in half a little longer until the inside was done.

It was one of the best tasting bread I have had in a long time...I did not even need sauce or anything to add to it...it tasted that good!

See,where I live,no one sells hard rolls,French or Italian breads that have a thicker,crispier crust,like the one I made or grew up on in NY.

Sure,the stores around here sell their version of it,but its too soft,no real crust and lacking flavor.Does not CRUNCH on the outside the way I want it to.

Im trying to find the right temps and time to cook a dough ball into a roll and reap the benefits.I was wondering if you knew a little about that?

Do I need to add a pan of water and steam the elec oven as well?I cooked it on a pizza stone around 475 for about 15-20 minutes.Best crust I ever had but not quite done on the inside...I want to make bread from these dough balls I have but not sure how...do I need to poke holes or cut them across the top or something to aid the internals to cook right?Lower my temps and increase cook times?

Thanks for any ideas.
 :)

-Bill

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #58 on: December 16, 2010, 12:37:21 AM »
Norma,
I wanted to ask,do you know how to cook a pizza dough ball into a fine bread?

The reason I ask,I took 2 of the dough balls and shaped them so they would be in somewhat of a circle and I cooked them that way.

They blew up into a nice crusted covered ball of bread.But the insides were still a bit gooey when I cut it open when I thought they were done...so I cooked them cut in half a little longer until the inside was done.

It was one of the best tasting bread I have had in a long time...I did not even need sauce or anything to add to it...it tasted that good!

See,where I live,no one sells hard rolls,French or Italian breads that have a thicker,crispier crust,like the one I made or grew up on in NY.

Sure,the stores around here sell their version of it,but its too soft,no real crust and lacking flavor.Does not CRUNCH on the outside the way I want it to.

Im trying to find the right temps and time to cook a dough ball into a roll and reap the benefits.I was wondering if you knew a little about that?

Do I need to add a pan of water and steam the elec oven as well?I cooked it on a pizza stone around 475 for about 15-20 minutes.Best crust I ever had but not quite done on the inside...I want to make bread from these dough balls I have but not sure how...do I need to poke holes or cut them across the top or something to aid the internals to cook right?Lower my temps and increase cook times?

Thanks for any ideas.

Bill,

A few times I did use pizza dough to make bread.  You can see what I did at these threads.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,11763.msg108975.html#msg108975

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,11792.0.html

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9908.msg109397.html#msg109397

I also made pizza muffins from pizza dough.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,10626.0.html

I have tried many other things with pizza dough and they all seem to turn out okay.

I think you need to tap on the dough to see if it sounds hollow to make a bigger loaf of bread with pizza dough.  It is hard to judge how well the inside is done, unless you use a thermometer.

I am not an expert on bread making and am just learning myself.  As far as bake times and temperatures, if you look at other members breads or on the internet you can see what temperatures to use to bake bread.  I did make the Tartine Bread a few times, but I also have to get more equipment before I try that bread again.

I believe that pizza dough can be made into bread as you have found out.  Keep experimenting.  ;D

Norma

Offline chickenparm

• In Memoriam
« Reply #59 on: December 16, 2010, 01:09:46 AM »
Norma,
Thanks so much! I enjoyed looking at those links and really appreciate the info.You are truly an asset to this forum and your willing to share anything info wise is a blessing for us all.

I have just started out myself about the bread Idea so anything I learn along the way,I will pass it here too.

I am going to use a lower temp to 375 tonight and cook a bit longer to see if that will help...I had noticed the first times I did it,the outside crust was perfect,but the inside was not done.I will also try and shape the dough a bit differently and try to make it to where it will possibly cook more evenly,than taking a chance on a tighter ball that can't do much except rise up,leaving the insides not done.
 :D
-Bill

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #60 on: December 16, 2010, 08:27:55 AM »
Norma,
Thanks so much! I enjoyed looking at those links and really appreciate the info.You are truly an asset to this forum and your willing to share anything info wise is a blessing for us all.

I have just started out myself about the bread Idea so anything I learn along the way,I will pass it here too.

I am going to use a lower temp to 375 tonight and cook a bit longer to see if that will help...I had noticed the first times I did it,the outside crust was perfect,but the inside was not done.I will also try and shape the dough a bit differently and try to make it to where it will possibly cook more evenly,than taking a chance on a tighter ball that can't do much except rise up,leaving the insides not done.
 :D

Bill,

I was a newbie, not too long ago.  If you are interested and want to look at the first thread or first posts I made, this is where it is located.  You can see I did have the same problems of other newbies, from opening dough balls into skins, dough management and so many other problems with making pizza dough.  I learned how to make pizza dough and still am learning from all the members of this forum. My pizzas have changed since my first posts.  That is why I would share anything I do or have tried.  Just keep experimenting and you will learn, too.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,8341.0.html

Good luck with your breads and pizzas.   ;D

Norma

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
« Reply #61 on: June 11, 2012, 08:13:55 AM »
I've never heard of using eggs in a bagel dough. I suppose you could, but then is it REALLY a bagel?
Rest In Peace - November 1, 2014

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #62 on: June 11, 2012, 09:04:36 AM »
I've never heard of using eggs in a bagel dough. I suppose you could, but then is it REALLY a bagel?

Dave,

There are many posts on the forum with using eggs in the dough.  I have tried some formulations with eggs in dough.  Some formulations for eggs in dough are at Reply 242 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,691.msg144176.html#msg144176 Reply 10 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,12883.msg125253.html#msg125253 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,14326.msg143218.html#msg143218
Reply 6 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13858.msg139176.html#msg139176  and many more if you use Pete-zza name in an advanced search and use eggs dough.

If you look at Marcís (widespreadpizza) post for his formulation for Fairmont bagels at Reply 4 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,11832.msg113617.html#msg113617 you will see he used eggs in his bagel formulation.  Peter ran Marcís formulation though the expanded dough calculating tool and came up with the formulation at Reply 10 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,11832.msg113724.html#msg113724  I tried that formulation, but made a few mistakes at Reply 50 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,11832.msg117231.html#msg117231 and thought the bagels turned out well in my opinion.  I guess it all comes down to if you want to try eggs in a bagel dough or not.

Norma  
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 09:07:09 AM by norma427 »

Online Ev

« Reply #63 on: June 11, 2012, 08:21:08 PM »
Never heard of an egg bagel?  ??? ::) ;)

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #64 on: June 11, 2012, 09:03:58 PM »
Never heard of an egg bagel?  ??? ::) ;)

Steve,

Maybe you never heard of eggs in bagels, but I did use eggs as the formulation called for.  Maybe I have to make you some.  Did you see the bagels at Reply 50 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,11832.msg117231.html#msg117231  I made?  I even used brown eggs which you like.  ;D

Norma

Online Ev

« Reply #65 on: June 11, 2012, 11:17:38 PM »
No, Norma. I've heard of egg bagels. I was just wondering if DMC had not.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #66 on: June 12, 2012, 06:36:14 AM »
No, Norma. I've heard of egg bagels. I was just wondering if DMC had not.

Steve,

Most recipes for bagels donít include eggs, but I thought Marcís idea to try eggs in a bagel dough was good.  I never ate a real Fairmont Bagel, so I know my bagels probably werenít anything like the real thing.

Dave probably was thinking about traditional bagels.  I donít know if using eggs in a bagel dough is a real bagel or not.  :-\

Norma 

pizzapan