Author Topic: Mystery Pizza by Steve and Me at Market Yesterday  (Read 31570 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Mystery Pizza by Steve and Me at Market Yesterday
« on: April 27, 2011, 09:08:18 AM »

This was a pizza dough Steve and I mixed at market yesterday in a few minutes.  We made the pizza about 10 minutes after we mixed the dough.  I did some stretch and folds and Steve also did some stretch and folds, because the dough was sticky. No extra bench flour was needed to be used, other than he normal amount that is used to open a dough ball.  The dough ball wasnít oiled or floured at all.  This was a 12" pizza.  Steve opened the dough ball. 

Does anyone care to guess anything about this pizza?  This pizza didnít have a lot of oven spring even with the stretch and folds.  The dough was sticky before the stretch and folds.

If anyone is interested in guessing what the ingredients were in the dough of this pizza or anything about this pizza, I will give more clues if anyone canít figure out the ingredients or what kind of pizza this was.  If no one is interested, I still will post how this pizza was made in a few days. 

Pictures below

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Re: Mystery Pizza by Steve and Me at Market Yesterday
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 09:11:08 AM »
more pictures

Norma
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 09:14:19 AM by norma427 »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 09:12:57 AM »
end of pictures

Norma

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 09:19:26 AM »
Norma - I don't have the skills to guess what the ingredients are, but the crumb is unbelievable considering just ten minutes of rise!

John

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 10:27:22 AM »
Norma - I don't have the skills to guess what the ingredients are, but the crumb is unbelievable considering just ten minutes of rise!

John

John,

The crumb was okay I think because all of the water used and also the stretch and folds. I am not saying this crust was the best, but I found it interesting that a dough and pizza could be made this fast.  This is another clue to this dough and final pizza.  The total weight of the ingredients used were 184 grams without the water.  The water used was Ĺ cup of very hot water. 

Norma

parallei

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 04:26:00 PM »
Wild guess.....self-rising flour or baking soda/powder.  Looks good whatever it was.  10 min huh?

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011, 04:52:17 PM »
Wild guess.....self-rising flour or baking soda/powder.  Looks good whatever it was.  10 min huh?

Paul,

Good guess!  :) The mix did have baking soda as one of the ingredients, but there was more yeast than baking soda.  The flour wasnít self-rising flour.  This was a very fast dough and I was surprised how fast Steve and I could use the dough.  The ingredients and very hot water were beaten with a metal spoon 20 times.  The dough was only left to then sit for 10 minutes covered.

A couple of more clues if anyone is interested: An egg product and nonfat milk were also some of the ingreidents in this dough. To be truthful, this was a way to easy dough.   

Norma

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2011, 08:30:50 PM »
Paul,

Good guess!  :) The mix did have baking soda as one of the ingredients, but there was more yeast than baking soda.  The flour wasnít self-rising flour.  This was a very fast dough and I was surprised how fast Steve and I could use the dough.  The ingredients and very hot water were beaten with a metal spoon 20 times.  The dough was only left to then sit for 10 minutes covered.

A couple of more clues if anyone is interested: An egg product and nonfat milk were also some of the ingreidents in this dough. To be truthful, this was a way to easy dough.   

Norma

It kinda looks like a chef boyardee kit or a martha white pizza dough mix made with your skills.
 :D
-Bill

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2011, 08:43:43 PM »
Bill,

You are close. It is a Jiffy pizza crust mix that was used to make the pizza. Right, Norma?

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2011, 11:14:19 PM »
It kinda looks like a chef boyardee kit or a martha white pizza dough mix made with your skills.
 :D

Bill,

Great guesses, but neither the Chef Boyardee or the Martha white pizza dough mix aren't right.  I will give another clue.  It was a mix I bought at the supermarket, just to see how it would turn out.

Thanks for playing along in guessing what was used to make this pizza.  :)

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2011, 11:30:15 PM »
Bill,

You are close. It is a Jiffy pizza crust mix that was used to make the pizza. Right, Norma?

Peter

Peter,

Nope, the Jiffy Pizza crust mix isnít right either.  I will give another clue.  The person behind this brand of mix Steve and I used is a brand name and trademark of an American Fortune 500 corporation.

Thank for playing along in this guessing game too!  Steve and I were fooled how this pizza turned out.  It turned out better than we thought it would.  

Norma

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2011, 11:35:57 PM »
Norma,

Betty Crocker.

Peter

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2011, 11:48:32 PM »
Amway Pizza Dough mix.
  :-D
-Bill

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2011, 11:53:47 PM »
Bisquick?  With some dough conditioner?  More hints are kneaded  :-D
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2011, 12:03:38 AM »
Norma,

Betty Crocker.

Peter

Peter,

You are right!  What kind of prize do you want?  Is this good enough? :pizza: :pizza: Do you think this looked like a Betty Crocker pizza?  Steve and I used really hot water right out of the spigot.  I would have thought that would have killed the yeast, but it didn't.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betty_Crocker

and

http://www.livestrong.com/thedailyplate/nutrition-calories/food/betty-crocker/pizza-crust-mix-6.5-oz/

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2011, 12:05:38 AM »
Amway Pizza Dough mix.
  :-D

Bill,

Thanks for playing along with this guessing game!  ;D  I just thought is was interesting that a cheap pizza mix turned out so good.  The crust didn't taste like crusts I usually make, but it was okay.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2011, 12:08:02 AM »
Bisquick?  With some dough conditioner?  More hints are kneaded  :-D

Jet_deck,

Thank you for playing around in this guessing game too!   ;D  I would have given more hints as kneaded, but Peter already guessed right.  I really like your post about more hints are kneaded.   :-D  That gave me a good chuckle!

Norma

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2011, 12:13:59 AM »
Norma,
Supposed you let it cold rise for 2 days?
 :)
-Bill

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2011, 12:22:44 AM »
Norma,
Supposed you let it cold rise for 2 days?
 :)

Bill,

I don't know what would happen with a cold rise for 2 days, but think a addition of some oil would make the finished crust taste better.  I would think that this dough would get out of control with a longer ferment, but maybe it might not, if really cold water was used.  This dough was really sticky to begin with and Steve and I thought about how doing stretch and folds would help this dough.  It did work.  The directions on the package say to press the dough in a pan, but we wanted to see if we could make a dough ball and make the pizza normally.  It did work.

Norma

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2011, 09:33:49 AM »
Norma,

If you look at the various commercial "instant" pizza dough mixes on the market, you will see that they are all pretty much alike, even down to the net weight (184 grams) of the pizza mix. Even the instructions are quite similar (including using 1/2 cup of hot water).

It wasn't until Bill (chickenparm) mentioned a prepared pizza mix that I got the Ding, ding, ding. Where I went wrong in guessing the Jiffy mix is that the Jiffy mix does not include any egg product.

With respect to the water temperature issue that you raised, I suspect that your water temperature was not high enough to kill the yeast. You would have to get to over 143 degrees F or so to do that. That is pretty hard to do when the yeast is buffered by all of the flour and other ingredients in the mix. You might also recall that yeast producers will often specify a water temperature of about 120-130 degrees F when the yeast (usually ADY) is added in advance to the flour and other dry ingredients. As a practical matter, and although I don't recommend it, I think you could get to around 135 degrees F without harming the yeast. I'd be curious to know what water temperature you actually used.

To Bill's point about using cold fermentation with a commercial instant dough mix, I tried that with the Jiffy pizza mix. You and Bill can read about my experiments along these lines at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,4652.msg38349.html#msg38349.

Peter

pizzapan