Author Topic: Mystery Pizza by Steve and Me at Market Yesterday  (Read 41481 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Mystery Pizza by Steve and Me at Market Yesterday
« Reply #220 on: May 23, 2011, 10:15:24 PM »
Norma,

If you do a Google search using the search terms "sodium bicarbonate, sodium aluminum phosphate, monocalcium phosphate" (in quotes as shown), you will find a fairly wide variety of applications of that leavening system, including many directed to chicken breadings and pancake and similar mixes. This leads me to believe that there are companies out there somewhere that must be selling such a leavening system, either alone or with cornstarch.

Peter

Peter,

I did Google "sodium bicarbonate, sodium aluminum phosphate, monocalcium phosphate" with the quotes and then also added more words and came up with many like this and others. Maybe I need to start contacting chicken manufactures or Mc Donald’s about their Buttermilk biscuits.   :-D http://www.mcdonalds.ca/pdfs/IngredientFactsEN.pdf  Maybe I also should contact Tyson Foods. There are near me.  

You are right, there are many kinds of foods that do have those ingredients.  Somehow I guess we will track down where they purchase those ingredients.  This mystery pizza is getting more involved all the time.   8)

When I have more time later this week, I will search more.

Norma
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 10:17:25 PM by norma427 »
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #221 on: May 23, 2011, 11:04:33 PM »
I just received this email from Edna at Caravan Foods.  She is trying to help me find the kind of shortening that might be used in a pizza mix.  I don’t have time to look up these companies are what products they are, but will look them up later this week.

Hello Norma – I asked a few people for R&D regarding Spray Dried Shortening and this was the reply.  They felt a spray shortening would not blend well in a mix but some of the specialty oil companies will carry some lower melting point beaded product that would deliver better results.  Loders Croklaan carries a product called Kaorich which may be what she is looking for and Stratas Foods may have a similar product as well. I sure hope this help – Thank you.

I wonder if Edna can help me find the ingredients of sodium bicarbonate, sodium aluminum phosphate, monocalcium phosphate.  

Some products Edna told me about.

Kaorich http://northamerica.croklaan.com/System/Product.asp?action=ProductNameCategory&actionValue=Stearine%20-%20Structuring%20Fats&productID=tcm:40-5593

http://www.stratasfoods.com/defaultFoodIngredients.aspx

Norma
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 07:10:16 AM by norma427 »

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #222 on: May 24, 2011, 11:02:05 AM »
Norma,

This morning, I called the foodservice section of the Clabber Girl Corporation in Terre Haute, Indiana (812-232-9446) and spoke with a sales person (Eric) about their commercial chemical leavening systems. What I was hoping to learn is whether Clabber Girl makes the specific chemical leavening system consisting only of the baking soda, sodium aluminum phosphate (SALP) and monocalcium phosphate (MCP). The answer is no. However, Clabber Girl does make and sell each of those ingredients separately. The end user would have to devise the formulation (percentages of ingredients) and do the blending. I also learned a few more things about these ingredients. One is that even for the slow-acting acids there is some activity during the mixing (e.g., batter) stage. The percent activity will depend on the particular acid selected. Apparently, both the fast-acting and slow-acting acids can be selected to achieve a particular chemical activation profile to meet the particular needs of the end user, whether it is a pancake mix or a pizza crust mix. There can even be some encapsulation of ingredients, including the baking soda, to suit a particular end user application.

With respect to the use of cornstarch, I was told that it has to be listed as an ingredient if is used. However, if the chemical leavening system is used with flour, as is the case with the GM products we have been studying, the flour itself can act as a buffer to prevent or minimize premature chemical activity.

When I asked whether the retail version of the Clabber Girl baking powder would work for a premix application as you have been exploring, I was told that it perhaps would work but it would not be optimum in his opinion. He said that he was not a food scientist so he couldn't tell me what would be the optimum chemical leavening system. We would have to talk with a Clabber Girl food scientist.

If you decide to proceed further with your pizza crust premix experiments, I was told that you should have no problem getting samples of the three leavening ingredients from Clabber Girl.

Peter
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 01:09:43 PM by Pete-zza »

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #223 on: May 24, 2011, 11:33:50 AM »
Norma,

I found another company, called GCIngredients, that also is in the commercial chemical leavening business. So, I called their San Antonio office at 210-240-2657 and spoke with Ingrid (http://www.gcingredients.com/contactus.html). From both Ingrid and the GCI website, I learned that GCI is in the business of creating and blending chemical leavening systems. So, if you decide to do more experimentation with chemical leavening systems, GCI might be an option for you to consider. Ingrid pointed out to me that the kind of experiments you are doing usually require a fair amount of trial and error to get to the desired end objective.

Peter

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #224 on: May 24, 2011, 11:48:12 AM »
Norma,

As you know, one of the things that has been nagging me is whether it is permissible in ingredients lists to list sugar when the actual sugar form is dextrose. So, over the past weekend, I sent an email to the Food and Drug Administration posing the following question:

In food ingredients lists, is it permissible to use the term "sugar" in lieu of "dextrose", or must the term "dextrose" be used if the sugar form is actually dextrose?

Today, I received the following reply:

Dear Peter, no.  Sugar has a standard in the regulations under 21 CFR 101.4 For purposes of ingredient labeling, the term sugar shall refer to sucrose, which is obtained from sugar cane or sugar beets in accordance with the provisions of 184.1854 of this chapter.

So, absent error or intentional misleading of the public, if "sugar" is listed as an ingredient in a list of ingredients, it means sucrose (ordinary table sugar is sucrose).

I'm glad I tried the approach of sending an email to the FDA. In the past, I would search for hours trying to find things at the FDA website, often without success (even though I learned a lot from all of my reading while trying to find things). I may use this approach again if I can't find answers on my own after giving my searches a fair chance.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #225 on: May 25, 2011, 07:56:06 AM »
Peter,

I will reply to your above posts, when I have time to digest all you have researched. 

Norma

There was another Mystery Pizza made yesterday at market by Steve and me that did turn out successful.  It was made using Betty Crocker Banana Nut mix, in combination with Peter’s goody bag.  I used 20 grams less water in the mix.  The dressing for this Sukie pizza was orange marmalade.  After the bake, (additional dressings) the blueberries, strawberries, bananas, and chopped English walnuts were added.  The fruits were dusted with Fruit Fresh to keep the bananas from browning, while sitting at room temperature. The crumb of this Sukie pizza was very moist and light.  This Sukie pizza was made within 3 hrs. from start to finish.

In my opinion, Sukie would have been proud of this pizza.  :) Steve, other stand holders, a few customers and I enjoyed this dessert Sukie pizza.

Pictures below

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #226 on: May 25, 2011, 07:58:42 AM »
more pictures

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #227 on: May 25, 2011, 08:01:16 AM »
more pictures

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #228 on: May 25, 2011, 08:03:53 AM »
more pictures

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #229 on: May 25, 2011, 08:05:58 AM »
end of pictures

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #230 on: May 25, 2011, 08:10:48 AM »
I did get a reply from Laura at Abitec yesterday.  This is the email.

Hello Norma,

Your sample request was sent to me as I lead the Food, Flavor and Nutrition business at Abitec.

With regard to the best product for your application in a dry mix, the Sterotex products are best.  They are a very fine powder and would blend easily into a dry blend and stay in suspension.

As far as which one, it will depend on the other ingredients, when you want the oil to melt, baking conditions, etc.  The different products are formulated to have different melt points.

For example,   Sterotex HM melts b/w 153-156F, while Sterotex K melts b/w 178-183F.

The best thing to do would be to get samples of both and try them in your formula.

If this is agreeable, I will be happy to submit a sample request and have 8oz of each shipped.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #231 on: May 25, 2011, 10:59:03 AM »
I replied to Laura at Abitec this morning: This was my reply and then Laura’s reply back to me.

Hello Laura,

Thanks you for recommending what the best product would be for the application I am trying in a dry mix.  When I was experimenting with different pizza crust mixes and other baking mixes to see where my experiments would lead me, I had tried some General Mills products, such as their Original Bisquick, muffin mixes, and biscuit mixes, among others.  I wanted to ask you if you know what kind of product they might use in their various products?  I used some of the GM products I mentioned, in combination with other ingredients, and from those experiments did produce a good pizza crust mix.  Would a big company like GM be using something like the products you were telling me about in your email, in their mixes? 

I would appreciate if you would request samples of Sterotex HM and Sterotex K for me to try in the pizza crust mix. 

I am not sure when I want the oil to melt.  (at what temperatures)

Norma

Hi Norma,

Yes, large baking companies do use these types of products so they should work in your mix,

I will have 8 oz samples of both products sent to you.

Good luck with your formulas!

Laura

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #232 on: May 25, 2011, 06:38:11 PM »
Norma,

This morning, I called the foodservice section of the Clabber Girl Corporation in Terre Haute, Indiana (812-232-9446) and spoke with a sales person (Eric) about their commercial chemical leavening systems. What I was hoping to learn is whether Clabber Girl makes the specific chemical leavening system consisting only of the baking soda, sodium aluminum phosphate (SALP) and monocalcium phosphate (MCP). The answer is no. However, Clabber Girl does make and sell each of those ingredients separately. The end user would have to devise the formulation (percentages of ingredients) and do the blending. I also learned a few more things about these ingredients. One is that even for the slow-acting acids there is some activity during the mixing (e.g., batter) stage. The percent activity will depend on the particular acid selected. Apparently, both the fast-acting and slow-acting acids can be selected to achieve a particular chemical activation profile to meet the particular needs of the end user, whether it is a pancake mix or a pizza crust mix. There can even be some encapsulation of ingredients, including the baking soda, to suit a particular end user application.

With respect to the use of cornstarch, I was told that it has to be listed as an ingredient if is used. However, if the chemical leavening system is used with flour, as is the case with the GM products we have been studying, the flour itself can act as a buffer to prevent or minimize premature chemical activity.

When I asked whether the retail version of the Clabber Girl baking powder would work for a premix application as you have been exploring, I was told that it perhaps would work but it would not be optimum in his opinion. He said that he was not a food scientist so he couldn't tell me what would be the optimum chemical leavening system. We would have to talk with a Clabber Girl food scientist.

If you decide to proceed further with your pizza crust premix experiments, I was told that you should have no problem getting samples of the three leavening ingredients from Clabber Girl.

Peter
Norma,

I found another company, called GCIngredients, that also is in the commercial chemical leavening business. So, I called their San Antonio office at 210-240-2657 and spoke with Ingrid (http://www.gcingredients.com/contactus.html). From both Ingrid and the GCI website, I learned that GCI is in the business of creating and blending chemical leavening systems. So, if you decide to do more experimentation with chemical leavening systems, GCI might be an option for you to consider. Ingrid pointed out to me that the kind of experiments you are doing usually require a fair amount of trial and error to get to the desired end objective.

Peter
Norma,

As you know, one of the things that has been nagging me is whether it is permissible in ingredients lists to list sugar when the actual sugar form is dextrose. So, over the past weekend, I sent an email to the Food and Drug Administration posing the following question:

In food ingredients lists, is it permissible to use the term "sugar" in lieu of "dextrose", or must the term "dextrose" be used if the sugar form is actually dextrose?

Today, I received the following reply:

Dear Peter, no.  Sugar has a standard in the regulations under 21 CFR 101.4 For purposes of ingredient labeling, the term sugar shall refer to sucrose, which is obtained from sugar cane or sugar beets in accordance with the provisions of 184.1854 of this chapter.

So, absent error or intentional misleading of the public, if "sugar" is listed as an ingredient in a list of ingredients, it means sucrose (ordinary table sugar is sucrose).

I'm glad I tried the approach of sending an email to the FDA. In the past, I would search for hours trying to find things at the FDA website, often without success (even though I learned a lot from all of my reading while trying to find things). I may use this approach again if I can't find answers on my own after giving my searches a fair chance.

Peter

Peter,

Thanks for doing all the research on the Clabber Girl chemical leavening systems. It is interesting to hear that Clabber Girl does sell each of the ingredients separately. I wonder how the end user (like I am trying to do in a pizza mix) would know how much of each ingredient to use in the mix, by percents.  It is also interesting to hear you learned more about the ingredients and how the percent of activity will depend on what ingredients are used.  I wonder how I am ever going to be able to figure out what presents of each ingredient to try in a pizza mix.  I wonder if GM is using some kind of encapsulation of ingredients.   It is also interesting to hear that cornstarch must be listed in the ingredients if it is used.  Flour alone, must be a good buffer from what you learned.  I wonder how I would talk to a Clabber Girl food scientist.  I am not that well versed in stating everything correctly, but I could give it a try.  I will contact Clabber Girl for samples and also for more knowledge about their ingredients they sell.

Thanks for also finding and researching about  GC Ingredients, Inc.  I will also contact them to see if I can purchase small amounts for testing or get some samples.

I do know that the one thing that have been bugging you so far, was if it was permissible to use actual sugar when the ingredient listed was dextrose.  Good thinking on your part to think about emailing the FDA.  8) That saved you a lot of time, and you received a timely reply.  You just never know where searches will take you. 

Norma

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #233 on: May 26, 2011, 10:05:47 AM »
Norma,

Those are all good questions. Knowing what I know about what you have been doing, if you were to talk to the food scientist at Clabber Girl (his name is Pat Jobe, at pjobe.@clabbergirl.com), or an expert at any other place for that matter, I think that there would be several questions he or she would ask you, from which he or she might be able to offer you technical assistance.

First, I think the food scientist (or other expert) would want to know what you want, or are trying, to do. In your case, I believe that you would like to come up with a pizza crust mix based on a formulation of your own design (or with help from someone else) and doing all of your own blending and mixing without using "goody bags" and the like combined with commercial products. Given your success to date using the General Mills mixes for different types of products, all of which contain a specific chemical leavening system, you might even want to use the same chemical leavening system in your own formulation.

Second, the food scientist would want to know when the dough is to be used, that is, whether it is to be used soon or considerably later. There might also be other questions as to other ingredients to be used in the formulation, such as yeast (which can affect fermentation performance and time) and acidulants like buttermilk powder that can affect the balance of the ingredients used in the overall chemical leavening system. These questions are important since the answers can dictate the types of acids to use and their performance rates (e.g., slow-acting or fast-acting) and also how the specific ingredients are to be balanced to neutralize the alkaline component (the baking soda) and avoid off flavors because of an imbalance. You can see an example of a chemical leavening system from a baker's percent standpoint at the bottom of the page at http://dwb.unl.edu/Teacher/NSF/C12/C12Links/www.cosmocel.com.mx/english/c-leave.htm. The duration of use of the dough might also dictate the percent of the chemical leavening system to use (although that is something that might best be determined through testing).

In your case, you have been making doughs with fermentation periods of a few hours. Just about every pizza crust mix that I have studied is intended to be made and used within a period of minutes, not hours, and their formulations are designed with this in mind, as by using L-cysteine, dextrose, etc. This presents an important decision point for you since the duration of use of the dough can define the market. For example, consumers have been conditioned to making pizza doughs from mixes in a matter of minutes. They may not be interested in waiting up to four hours to make their pizza, no matter how much better the pizza might be. I suspect that the consumer market for the short-term mixes is considerably larger than the market for the long-term mixes (which is perhaps more in the province of large chains like Shakey's, Round Table and Godfather's Pizza that use pizza dough pre-mixes). Of course, it might be possible to have two formulations to cover both markets. Or you might decide to develop and use a dough formulation strictly for your own purposes to offer unique products at market (like some of your dessert style pizzas), rather than marketing it to consumers, in which case you would have complete control over the way the product is used. In such a case, any dicussion of market segmentation becomes moot.

I think you have a good enough grasp of the basic chemistry involved to be able to hold your own in discussion with the food scientists and other specialists engaged in chemical leavening systems. They also know that most end users of their products are not chemists. However, as comfortable as you may become with technical aspects of leavening systems, in discussions with professionals on this matter you will want to be prepared to answer questions that might relate as much to the business side of what you would like to do as the chemistry involved since the answers can dictate the course of your formulation. There will also be a fair amount of testing and experimentation with formulations and preparation times. I also believe that you will find that food scientists knowledgeable about specific parts of a formulation, such as the chemical leavening system under discussion or partially hydrogenated oils to use in a mix, aren't likely to be able to develop an overall formulation for you to use. They might, however, give you some insights in how GM and others develop their formulations or parts of them.  

With respect to your question as to whether cornstarch is used by GM in its chemical leavening system, my best guess after discussing these matters with the people I spoke with recently, is no.

For a good discussion on some of the topics mentioned above, see http://gcingredients.com/leavening.html.

Peter

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #234 on: May 26, 2011, 11:48:04 AM »
It is also interesting to hear that cornstarch must be listed in the ingredients if it is used. 

It is an allergen.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #235 on: May 26, 2011, 02:08:34 PM »
Norma,

Those are all good questions. Knowing what I know about what you have been doing, if you were to talk to the food scientist at Clabber Girl (his name is Pat Jobe, at pjobe.@clabbergirl.com), or an expert at any other place for that matter, I think that there would be several questions he or she would ask you, from which he or she might be able to offer you technical assistance.

First, I think the food scientist (or other expert) would want to know what you want, or are trying, to do. In your case, I believe that you would like to come up with a pizza crust mix based on a formulation of your own design (or with help from someone else) and doing all of your own blending and mixing without using "goody bags" and the like combined with commercial products. Given your success to date using the General Mills mixes for different types of products, all of which contain a specific chemical leavening system, you might even want to use the same chemical leavening system in your own formulation.

Second, the food scientist would want to know when the dough is to be used, that is, whether it is to be used soon or considerably later. There might also be other questions as to other ingredients to be used in the formulation, such as yeast (which can affect fermentation performance and time) and acidulants like buttermilk powder that can affect the balance of the ingredients used in the overall chemical leavening system. These questions are important since the answers can dictate the types of acids to use and their performance rates (e.g., slow-acting or fast-acting) and also how the specific ingredients are to be balanced to neutralize the alkaline component (the baking soda) and avoid off flavors because of an imbalance. You can see an example of a chemical leavening system from a baker's percent standpoint at the bottom of the page at http://dwb.unl.edu/Teacher/NSF/C12/C12Links/www.cosmocel.com.mx/english/c-leave.htm. The duration of use of the dough might also dictate the percent of the chemical leavening system to use (although that is something that might best be determined through testing).

In your case, you have been making doughs with fermentation periods of a few hours. Just about every pizza crust mix that I have studied is intended to be made and used within a period of minutes, not hours, and their formulations are designed with this in mind, as by using L-cysteine, dextrose, etc. This presents an important decision point for you since the duration of use of the dough can define the market. For example, consumers have been conditioned to making pizza doughs from mixes in a matter of minutes. They may not be interested in waiting up to four hours to make their pizza, no matter how much better the pizza might be. I suspect that the consumer market for the short-term mixes is considerably larger than the market for the long-term mixes (which is perhaps more in the province of large chains like Shakey's, Round Table and Godfather's Pizza that use pizza dough pre-mixes). Of course, it might be possible to have two formulations to cover both markets. Or you might decide to develop and use a dough formulation strictly for your own purposes to offer unique products at market (like some of your dessert style pizzas), rather than marketing it to consumers, in which case you would have complete control over the way the product is used. In such a case, any dicussion of market segmentation becomes moot.

I think you have a good enough grasp of the basic chemistry involved to be able to hold your own in discussion with the food scientists and other specialists engaged in chemical leavening systems. They also know that most end users of their products are not chemists. However, as comfortable as you may become with technical aspects of leavening systems, in discussions with professionals on this matter you will want to be prepared to answer questions that might relate as much to the business side of what you would like to do as the chemistry involved since the answers can dictate the course of your formulation. There will also be a fair amount of testing and experimentation with formulations and preparation times. I also believe that you will find that food scientists knowledgeable about specific parts of a formulation, such as the chemical leavening system under discussion or partially hydrogenated oils to use in a mix, aren't likely to be able to develop an overall formulation for you to use. They might, however, give you some insights in how GM and others develop their formulations or parts of them.  

With respect to your question as to whether cornstarch is used by GM in its chemical leavening system, my best guess after discussing these matters with the people I spoke with recently, is no.

For a good discussion on some of the topics mentioned above, see http://gcingredients.com/leavening.html.

Peter

Peter,

I did email Clabber Girl about trying to formulate a pizza crust mix last evening, and I did ask them many questions.  If I don’t get a follow-up email, I will call them and asked to talk to an expert or food scientist, probably next week.  I also asked for samples of their baking soda, sodium aluminum phosphate (SALP) and monocalcium phosphate (MCP).  I also emailed Ingrid at GCIngredients and asked her the same questions, and also if I could obtain samples to try in the pizza crust mix, I would like to try to develop. 

I did get an email from  Laura at Abitec, that I should get samples of Sterotex products in the next 10-14 days.

I do want to try to come up with a pizza crust mix without a “goody bag”. I would like to do all my own blending and mixing.  The leavening system in the Betty Crocker products in combination with your “goody bag”, seems to work out well, so I can understand that would be a good place to start.  I see in the link you have provided the baker’s percent for a typical mix are: A typical double action baking powder may have 12 % of MONOCALCIUM PHOSPHATE, 30 % of Sodium Bicarbonate, 23 % of Sodium Aluminum Sulfate, 35 % of Corn Starch.  That would be without the cornstarch.

Thanks for preparing me to know what to ask about what I am trying to do, in formulating a pizza crust mix. I will get my questions ready and think about what I should ask.  I don’t really understand chemistry, but basically do understand the technical basic chemistry and what I would want to ask and find answers to.  Making different pizzas have taught me more about leavening systems, but a pizza crust mix would be a lot different.

I can understand most home pizza makers  would want to make the dough fast, and not watch it like I did in my experiments.  Everything is instant now, so I would need to come up with some kind of formulation to make the pizza crust mix fast, just like the Betty Crocker pizza crust mix, but hopefully it would be better.  I know this whole project will take a lot of trial and experimenting, but at least I will learn more about using a different kind of leavening system for a pizza crust mix.  In the end, I don’t know if I will be successful or not, but there isn’t hurt in trying.

It is a little to early to know if I want to make dessert pizzas at market, but so far, the stand holders, some customers, Steve and I really do like them.  That would be a whole different ball game, because then I would need to source more ingredients and understand how they would work in a pizza crust mix.  The mixes I just purchased the other day were only .85 on sale, so I might purchase some more this week, to try in more experiments.  If I decide I wanted to make dessert pizzas at market, I still could buy a box of those mixes and just add the “goody bag”.  At least that would make a dessert pizza a lot easier, and the crust shouldn't be too expensive.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #236 on: May 26, 2011, 02:10:20 PM »
It is an allergen.

CL

Craig,

I didn't know if cornstarch was an allergen or not, but it looks like it is.  http://allergies.about.com/od/foodallergies/a/cornallergy.htm

Norma

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #237 on: May 26, 2011, 03:59:43 PM »
Norma,

With all of the samples you now have and will be getting, you might find it more profitable to divide the samples into small packets and sell them at market instead of pizza. Just make one pizza a day on Tuesdays at market and use that as a basis to keep ordering up more and more samples.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #238 on: May 26, 2011, 06:19:41 PM »
Norma,

With all of the samples you now have and will be getting, you might find it more profitable to divide the samples into small packets and sell them at market instead of pizza. Just make one pizza a day on Tuesdays at market and use that as a basis to keep ordering up more and more samples.

Peter

Peter,

Lol, who would buy the samples and then buy their own other ingredients, to make their own pizzas?  :-D At least my customers want a ready to eat freshly made pizza.  I did try to sell cans of 6 in 1 and not one person bought any.  I still didn’t develop a successful take and bake pizza. I posted before, I am running out of room to store all my flours, other ingredients, and now all the samples

I did talk to Nita, an R&D specialist today, at Clabber Girl and I will post on that later, but from what she told me Clabber Girl doesn’t send any samples of any of the ingredients they use for Clabber Girl, or the other products they sell.  Nita said, Clabber Girl gets all their ingredients from mills and then mixes them. 

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #239 on: May 26, 2011, 08:56:56 PM »
I posted in my last post that I talked to Nita, the R&D manager of Clabber Girl today.  I asked many of the questions that Peter had posted.  It seems like there is a lot of variances in trying to make any kind of formula for a pizza crust mix.  She said  pH of ingredients has to do with formulation, buttermilk will strengthen the protein (and if you want a buttermilk profile in the crust that is something that could be tried), and if the mix is too acidic it would need modifications.  She said it is challenging to develop a product like a pizza crust mix and get it to perform like you want it to.  I also asked Nita, about what type of flour to try in the mix and she said probably cake flour would be a good starting point.  I asked her if cake flour (something like GM might be using in their mixes), in combination with something like KABF might work.  I told her probably the protein content would be around 10.7, or something similar, and she said it could work.  We talked about many other things, but basically, it is all up to how you use the ingredients, in amounts, how your product might turn out.  She also said I could call her anytime with further question I might have.

I found a article about baking powder in this book of bakery technology and engineering.

http://www.google.com/books?id=rU1wQotD3jIC&pg=PA71#v=onepage&q&f=false

On page 71 there is a chart of three baking powders used in a batter, that shows the reaction rates of these thre types of baking powder, as tested in a simple batter.

Starting on page 64 of the link below, it reads about chemical leavening systems with leavening acids starting on page 67 with a chart on page 70

http://www.google.com/books?id=rU1wQotD3jIC&lpg=PP1&pg=PA54#v=onepage&q&f=false

This article reads about leavening applications of ICL Food Phosphates.  ICL performance Products LP.

http://www.icl-perfproductslp.com/mm/files/ICL_Bakery.pdf

Another guide for chemical leaveners.

http://www.lallemand.com/BakerYeastNA/eng/PDFs/LBU%20PDF%20FILES/1_12CHEM.PDF

Typical neutralizing values for the most common food leavening agents can be seen in the following table.

http://www.classofoods.com/page4_2.html

Norma