Author Topic: Blue Steel Pans  (Read 17915 times)

buceriasdon

Re: Blue Steel Pans
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2012, 04:25:11 PM »
Once again, The maker of the pans has eliminated the "bluing process" most likely to reduce production costs. All blued pans must be first "seasoned" to make them no stick, the bluing is only to prevent rust during storage. That's all bluing does, it does not create a no stick surface. All blue steel pans start their life as cold rolled steel. The cold rolled steel pans once seasoned will perform just the same as blued steel pans.
Don

Offline hockman4357

« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2012, 09:29:00 AM »
So, in a nutshell, can someone please tell me where the best place to purchase a cold rolled or blue steel steel pan is???

Offline DSfan

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2013, 05:24:45 PM »
http://detroitstylepizza.co/detroit-style-pizza-pans/

Detroit Style Pizza Co. now offers authentic Detroit Style Pizza pans, which are the same pans Pizza Maker of the Year Shawn Randazzo used to bake his way to the championship at the 2012 International Pizza Challenge. It is the only pizza pan made exclusively for baking true Detroit Style Pizza and they are pre-seasoned with Randazzo’s own signature seasoning process.

Complete pan maintenance and cleaning instructions are shipped with the pans. Most orders are shipped within 1-2 weeks.

If looking to place an order over 20 pans contact us for discounted pricing information. See contact email in footer. If you are local and would like to save on shipping by picking up at one of our locations send us an email and we can arrange for them to be picked up.

Authentic Detroit Style Pizza pans are a slice of Motor City history. Once used as parts trays by Detroit's auto manufacturers, the square-shaped pans are made from steel. Each pan is specially-prepared to bake Detroit Style Pizza with a three-hour seasoning process that involves several cycles of coating and baking. These qualities make for the perfect Detroit Style Pizza: proper heat conduction for an evenly-baked deep dish crust that's crispy outside yet light and airy inside, cheese that caramelizes on the edges when baked and the retention of more pizza flavor with each bake.
Other companies market aluminum, chemical-coated pizza pans under the Detroit Style Pizza name, but those pans aren't the same as the original pans used for decades by pizza artisans. Aluminum pans typically cost around $30, and do not feature the same seasoned flavor.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 05:26:38 PM by DSfan »

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2013, 08:03:03 PM »
Once again, The maker of the pans has eliminated the "bluing process" most likely to reduce production costs. All blued pans must be first "seasoned" to make them no stick, the bluing is only to prevent rust during storage. That's all bluing does, it does not create a no stick surface. All blue steel pans start their life as cold rolled steel. The cold rolled steel pans once seasoned will perform just the same as blued steel pans.
Don

Interesting to see this topic pop up today, because I was about to go looking for it to post an update.  Today is my birthday and along with my gorgeous 4 day old daughter my wife went to Roselli Foods and got me steel pans in three different sizes.  The largest size is blue steel, the smaller two are plain steel.  The woman in Roselli's informed her that the large pan was part of the old stock and that is why it was still blue, the new ones are now all plain steel as Don posted in the message above.  The only wrinkle is that she was told the FDA actually caused the change and will no longer allow them to sell the Blue steel pans for food use.  Roselli's supplies a lot of Detroit Style pizzerias, and I think it is safe to assume they are very much in the loop with this info.
-Jeff

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2013, 08:48:37 PM »
This should not be an issue. It's a simple matter to turn a shiny pan a dark as you want it.
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2013, 09:21:57 PM »
Agree completely, I don't see it as an issue, but think it is relevant that "blue steel" pans are no longer actually blue steel.  I plan to season all three of mine the exact same way with flax seed oil then begin my quest to what I feel is the perfect Detroit style pizza.
-Jeff

Offline redox

« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2013, 11:13:01 AM »
Here's a little more info about seasoning the cold rolled steel pans. I contacted Shawn Randazzo via email about the seasoning of my 8x10 pan and the coating peeling off.
In part, he said, "We do 3-4 thin coats and bake around an hour each time. I did notice a handful of pans several batches ago where looking like the third coat was spotty and I have seemed to pinpoint them as the ones doing this excessive flaking. When they were being made with the blue steel pans we never encountered the problem, but since they are now made with cold rolled steel we noticed even if cold air slightly catches pan right after coming out of the oven during the seasoning process it instantly just releases from the pans, so now we make sure the pans are put into a designated area we have built for them to stay warm to cool down and now they don't do that."
So it might be helpful to factor that into your seasoning equation.
Shawn, btw is a stand up guy. He addressed my problem satisfactorily.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 11:53:19 AM by Pete-zza »

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2013, 02:49:27 PM »
A member on another thread provided a link today to a source of cold rolled steel pans: http://www.redhillgeneralstore.com/housewares/kitchen/kitacc/Blue-Steel-Utility-Dripping-Pans.htm . The website doesn't use the term "blue" but that word appears in the URL itself.

Peter
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 02:51:42 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline Homer32

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2014, 12:54:28 PM »
Hi Pete,
I called and talked to Ellen at PA Products in Livonia, MI and was told that the Blue Steel pans are no longer offered or made. (Website still shows them but Ellen insisted they were no longer available). I know you mentioned this in a prior post but wanted to give specific information. She also told me that the anodized aluminum 9x13 pan they sell has been well accepted by local chains and work the same. That said, has anyone confirmed this result? I found your posts on the Jets pizza thread enjoyed the dialog and joined so I could add my efforts and successes. The pans I have been using for my Jets copies are 12" round deep anodized aluminum and while the results have been good. I cannot reproduce the results like Norma had displayed (fried crust), so I am thinking the pan might be the limiting factor. I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks,
Paul

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2014, 03:30:00 PM »
Paul,

I can only recall one instance offhand where someone used a dark anodized pan to make a Detroit style pizza, and that was in a post at the PMQ Think Tank at http://thinktank.pmq.com/viewtopic.php?p=75816#p75816. That pan was from Lloyd Pans. You can see their Detroit Style pizza pans at http://www.lloydpans.com/standard-pans/pizza-tools/rectangular-pans-and-disks/detroit-style-deep-dish. You will want to take particular note of the prices of the Lloyd pans, especially when compared with the prices of the hard rolled steel pans from either the Detroit Style Pizza Company (http://detroitstylepizza.co/detroit-style-pizza-pans/) or from the Red Hill General Store mentioned in my last post.

In my opinion, if you want to make a classic Detroit style pizza I would try to use the same types of pans as the professionals use to make that style of pizza. Maybe someday, after the dark anodized pizza pans have gained wide acceptance by Detroit style pizza makers and the results justify the higher prices of those pans, then that might be the time to consider the Lloyd type of pans.

With respect to the PA Products pan that Ellen mentioned, you might want to get more specific details, such as the depth of the pan. The depth of the pan was a point that was raised and discussed at the PMQTT at http://thinktank.pmq.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13677&hilit=. Also, if it matters to you, I should mention that the PA Products 9" x 13" pan is not one of the standard sizes that the Detroit style pizza makers typically use, which are 8" x 10" and 10" x 14".

Peter

Online Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2014, 03:54:15 PM »
I have two of these...Had them for a few years. More expensive, and not as deep as a the Detroit style pans discussed here, but they're quite good.

Genuine blue steel. Other sizes available, too.

http://www.foodservicedirect.com/product.cfm/p/144752/World-Cuisine-Paderno-Blue-Steel-Baking-Sheet-15-3/4-inch-Length.htm
Sono venuto, ho visto, ho mangiato

Offline Homer32

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2014, 12:46:50 AM »
With respect to the PA Products pan that Ellen mentioned, you might want to get more specific details, such as the depth of the pan. The depth of the pan was a point that was raised and discussed at the PMQTT at http://thinktank.pmq.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13677&hilit=. Also, if it matters to you, I should mention that the PA Products 9" x 13" pan is not one of the standard sizes that the Detroit style pizza makers typically use, which are 8" x 10" and 10" x 14".

Thanks Pete. I called PA Prod and asked for a few more details. I don't know why, but the 9x13 size Ellen gave was the bottom of the pan. It is 10x14 at the top, 2 inches deep and she quoted $15.41 for each one. I am only minutes from PA and she offered for me to visit their showroom. If there is any information I can gather for anyone, please do not hesitate to let me know. Lids are $5.00 which are plastic.

I ordered a steel one from http://detroitstylepizza.co/detroit-style-pizza-pans/, already seasoned for $15.75. They sell unseasoned ones for $9.50.  These are 10x14. They also have the other common sizes. These are much lower in cost than the one Mmmph suggested. I'll post my results once I try it in the Jets pizza topic I followed, unless otherwise directed.

Thanks,
Paul

Offline crcurrie

« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2014, 11:17:10 PM »
I ordered two new pans from a seller on ebay that he said were from a lot of Dover Parkersburg pans, made in West Virginia, that he came into when he bought a pizza restaurant.  They weren't in a box and there are no markings/stickers on either so I couldn't verify their provenance.  I would have thought that the American-made Dover Parkersburg pans would have been "blue steel," but these look more black than blue.  Any thoughts about the origin of these pans?

Also, I'm curious about the seasoning process.  I followed the guidelines on seasoning at http://sherylcanter.com/wordpress/2010/01/a-science-based-technique-for-seasoning-cast-iron/ that have been highly rated elsewhere on this forum, except that I used canola oil rather than flaxseed oil.  How are properly seasoned pans supposed to look? These have thousands of tiny splotches of enamelized oil -- not an even coat.  And they're not very slick.  Do I need to start over?