Author Topic: Poor mans wood fired oven...  (Read 3903 times)

James

Poor mans wood fired oven...
« on: May 16, 2005, 02:31:41 PM »
I am investigating ways to construct a wood fired pizza oven.

I am currently experimenting with ways to reduce the cost and complexity of building it.

The attached photo is mark 2 of my current oven. Constructed from house bricks (salvaged from the BBQ that was there) with a paving slab on top, sealed with mud. All high tech ;) Internal square of 600mm.

So far so good. Obviously it needs sealing properly (when it smokes to start with - the smoke comes out everywhere - very funny) and insulating. But it seems to get pretty hot already.

Comments? Advice?

Thanks
James

James

Re: Poor mans wood fired oven...
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2005, 02:35:03 PM »
Trying to get the picture uploaded.

DiamondMarco

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2005, 04:45:27 AM »
Hey James, try this site for plans and tips on building a really good wood fired pizza oven - http://www.traditionaloven.com/

Enjoy

Offline Fio

• Cook it HOT.
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2006, 11:31:26 AM »
Have you cooked anything in it?

I am intrigued; I am planning to build a full-blown oven with firebricks, domed arch, etc.  But I would love to play with an oven like that.

I heartily recommend a book called "THE BREAD BUILDERS" by Alan Scott.  One of the critical elements of the oven is that the height of the front door opening MUST BE 63% of the height of the TOP of the inside ceiling. It is a critical ratio necessary for proper heating and air circulation. 
« Last Edit: January 30, 2006, 02:14:36 PM by Fio »
Since joining this forum, I've begun using words like "autolyze" and have become anal about baker's percents.  My dough is forever changed.

pizzapan