Author Topic: hybrid Reinhart  (Read 17837 times)

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
hybrid Reinhart
« on: April 28, 2011, 10:48:24 PM »
I didn't know where to put this, so I hope this will do.  I've had great luck with Reinhart's recipes, and though I loved the technique of the New York style (so simple!!), I'd much rather come with recipes with little or no oil.  So, this is what I did....I took Reinhart's Classic dough recipe (adding honey, but no oil), and used a couple techniques I've learned from him.  The following recipe and procedure look like nothing you will find in one place on his website, but I have to credit him with the whole recipe because everything was learned experimenting with his stuff.  I'm using KABF this week and here is the recipe I used to make six 12 ounce doughs.

Flour (100%):
Water (75%):
IDY (.6%):
Salt (2%):
Honey (2%):
Total (179.6%):
Single Ball:
1159.26 g  |  40.89 oz | 2.56 lbs
869.44 g  |  30.67 oz | 1.92 lbs
6.96 g | 0.25 oz | 0.02 lbs | 2.31 tsp | 0.77 tbsp
23.19 g | 0.82 oz | 0.05 lbs | 4.15 tsp | 1.38 tbsp
23.19 g | 0.82 oz | 0.05 lbs | 3.32 tsp | 1.11 tbsp
2082.02 g | 73.44 oz | 4.59 lbs | TF = N/A
347 g | 12.24 oz | 0.76 lbs

I dumped everything in the bowl and mixed on stir (kitchen aid) for 4 minutes.  Dough rested 5 minutes.  Dough was mixed on stir plus one half for 3 minutes.  Dough was sticky.  Poured dough onto a baking sheet coated with about 1 tablespoon oil.  Did a quick stretch and fold to lightly coat all of dough.  Dough was then scaled, balled and refrigerated.

The following dough was in the fridge 23 hours...it was balled 6 hours prior to baking, and taken out to warm up 2 hours prior to baking.  Baked in my home oven at about 550 degrees for 7 minutes.
John

Offline Jet_deck

Re: hybrid Reinhart
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 11:14:10 PM »
Was it as good as it looks?  Was any part of it crispy, or al dente?  Thanks for sharing. :chef:
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline dmaxdmax

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 11:33:39 PM »
Looks great, John, but that's nothing new!

Why is it so important to eliminate oil?  (insert BP joke here - after all you do call this a Hybrid :)
Is it a matter of principal or does oil introduce a quality you dislike?

I really shouldn't read these threads when I'm taking a week vacation from pizza to make some sourdough bread!

Dave
Always make new mistakes.

Offline chickenparm

• In Memoriam
  • Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 11:37:58 PM »
John,
That looks so damn delicious! How was the crust as far as chewiness and crisp goes for you?
 :)
-Bill

Offline DannyG

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 07:34:53 AM »
Was it as good as it looks?  Was any part of it crispy, or al dente?  Thanks for sharing. :chef:

John, I would also like to know what you thought about taste. What do you get from the honey?

buceriasdon

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2011, 07:45:37 AM »
John, Except for the use of honey this is very close to the recipe I now use with my AP. The pizza looks superb as always. I did have a question about your work flow. You say it was balled six hours prior to baking, do you mean reballed?
Don

I dumped everything in the bowl and mixed on stir (kitchen aid) for 4 minutes.  Dough rested 5 minutes.  Dough was mixed on stir plus one half for 3 minutes.  Dough was sticky.  Poured dough onto a baking sheet coated with about 1 tablespoon oil.  Did a quick stretch and fold to lightly coat all of dough.  Dough was then scaled, balled and refrigerated.

The following dough was in the fridge 23 hours...it was balled 6 hours prior to baking, and taken out to warm up 2 hours prior to baking.  Baked in my home oven at about 550 degrees for 7 minutes.
John

Offline Jet_deck

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2011, 10:18:20 PM »
Thanks for that question Don.  I've got 3 of these dough balls in the fridge now.  I will report that my experience from the mixer to the ball stage involved alot of bench flour.  Time will tell.  ;)

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2011, 10:37:29 PM »
Bill, this crust is crispy, but tender, with a slight chew....the chew will disappear in this batch of dough as time goes on this week.
Danny, I like the flavor honey gives dough....it's not a real sweetness...it's a kind of deepness...hard to explain, maybe its just in my mind.
Dave, the reason I would rather eliminate oil is because of my wife...she watches absolutely every calorie she eats, and I would love to keep her excited about pizza, because that makes my life sweet.
Don, yes I meant reballed and I'm sorry about that
Jet, it doesn't take one iota of flour to ball this dough if you follow Reinhart's instructions and drop your dough onto a lightly oiled surface..Just a tablespoon of oil will allow you to scale and ball the whole batch.

This next dough was in the fridge 40 hours, was reballed 6 hours prior to baking, and taken out of the fridge two hours prior to baking.  As I mentioned to Bill above, there is not chewiness in this crust, it is crisp, tender, and delicious....it probably could have used a hotter oven..but it turned out ok!!

John

Offline dmaxdmax

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2011, 12:56:41 AM »
John - Great answer!
Always make new mistakes.

Offline Jet_deck

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2011, 12:53:55 PM »
....Jet, it doesn't take one iota of flour to ball this dough if you follow Reinhart's instructions and drop your dough onto a lightly oiled surface..Just a tablespoon of oil will allow you to scale and ball the whole batch.....

May I ask what type of mixer you use?

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2011, 01:52:40 PM »
Kitchen aid, jet

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2011, 07:56:31 PM »
Day 3 of hybrid...64 hours in the fridge, reball 11 hours prior to bake....absolutely excellent crust, no chew, just crispy tender goodness.....I wish there were a way to get this texture in a shorter ferment time...I just don't know how!!!

John

Offline chickenparm

• In Memoriam
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2011, 09:13:28 PM »
Wow that looks GREAT!I love the fact its a crunchy pie,I loves those once in a while.Is that ham and sausage?
 :pizza:

-Bill

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2011, 12:56:50 AM »
Yup!!

Offline Jet_deck

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2011, 07:47:52 AM »
My results: Oysters Reinhart

I think the Bosch could have used maybe a couple extra minutes, both before and after the rest to develop the gluten a bit more. But the ball did open like a well read book.

"Chargrilled" oysters, Soppresata, and a 50/50 blend of Oaxaca/Asadero cheese. More info available if needed.  Thanks John, for your work :chef:

The last picture shows the divot left from the shell.  I pretreated the areas on which the shells would sit, so that they might cook well and I guess it worked.  The divot was firm and not "doughy" at all.

buceriasdon

« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2011, 08:12:57 AM »
Jet Deck, Excellent !
Don

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2011, 05:08:03 PM »
Wow!  I like!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2011, 07:15:45 PM »

Jet_deck,

I really like your oyster Reinhart!  Looks delicious.   :)

Norma

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2011, 07:40:12 PM »
Yuuuuuuumm!!!

John

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2011, 10:39:36 PM »
Last of my doughs from this batch:

162 hours in the fridge, reballed 5 hours prior to bake, opened up cold before bake....excellent pizza all week, and this one was the best!!
John

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2011, 10:45:43 PM »
Looks super delicious.  Making me hungry... 

Regards,

TinRoof

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2011, 11:58:31 PM »
Last of my doughs from this batch:

162 hours in the fridge, reballed 5 hours prior to bake, opened up cold before bake....excellent pizza all week, and this one was the best!!
John

John,

Your hybrid Reinhart pizza does look excellent!  :)

Norma

Offline DannyG

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2011, 08:33:02 AM »
John,
Are you storing your dough balls in individual containers?

162 hours is just about 7 days. I usually go with a three day (72 hour) refrigerated rise and I've got my yeast proportioned so the dough hits it maximum rise in about 60 hours. I haven't gone longer for fear of the dough going past its prime. Can you describe how long it takes your dough to rise maximum size and does it just stay at that level over all that time?

Thanks.

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2011, 01:36:04 PM »
They really were very good Norma and TR

Danny, dough stored in individual containers...they usually fill the containers by day 3 or 4..I just let them stay that way until the day of bake.  Reballing seems to bring the dough to life.  Next time I will use cold water to slow it down a bit, though I really don't know what I'll gain, since this last dough was primo
John

Offline chickenparm

• In Memoriam
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2011, 11:56:15 PM »
They really were very good Norma and TR

Danny, dough stored in individual containers...they usually fill the containers by day 3 or 4..I just let them stay that way until the day of bake.  Reballing seems to bring the dough to life.  Next time I will use cold water to slow it down a bit, though I really don't know what I'll gain, since this last dough was primo
John

John,
Does reballing the dough also help to bring a deflated dough,or a dough that may be ready to pop, back up again after it rises a day or so after reballing? I have not tried that yet.

If reballing would help me store a dough longer for a few more days,I may give it a try on a doughball I have,that is getting quite large now.

:)

-Bill