Author Topic: hybrid Reinhart  (Read 14348 times)

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
hybrid Reinhart
« on: April 28, 2011, 10:48:24 PM »
I didn't know where to put this, so I hope this will do.  I've had great luck with Reinhart's recipes, and though I loved the technique of the New York style (so simple!!), I'd much rather come with recipes with little or no oil.  So, this is what I did....I took Reinhart's Classic dough recipe (adding honey, but no oil), and used a couple techniques I've learned from him.  The following recipe and procedure look like nothing you will find in one place on his website, but I have to credit him with the whole recipe because everything was learned experimenting with his stuff.  I'm using KABF this week and here is the recipe I used to make six 12 ounce doughs.

Flour (100%):
Water (75%):
IDY (.6%):
Salt (2%):
Honey (2%):
Total (179.6%):
Single Ball:
1159.26 g  |  40.89 oz | 2.56 lbs
869.44 g  |  30.67 oz | 1.92 lbs
6.96 g | 0.25 oz | 0.02 lbs | 2.31 tsp | 0.77 tbsp
23.19 g | 0.82 oz | 0.05 lbs | 4.15 tsp | 1.38 tbsp
23.19 g | 0.82 oz | 0.05 lbs | 3.32 tsp | 1.11 tbsp
2082.02 g | 73.44 oz | 4.59 lbs | TF = N/A
347 g | 12.24 oz | 0.76 lbs

I dumped everything in the bowl and mixed on stir (kitchen aid) for 4 minutes.  Dough rested 5 minutes.  Dough was mixed on stir plus one half for 3 minutes.  Dough was sticky.  Poured dough onto a baking sheet coated with about 1 tablespoon oil.  Did a quick stretch and fold to lightly coat all of dough.  Dough was then scaled, balled and refrigerated.

The following dough was in the fridge 23 hours...it was balled 6 hours prior to baking, and taken out to warm up 2 hours prior to baking.  Baked in my home oven at about 550 degrees for 7 minutes.
John

Offline Jet_deck

Re: hybrid Reinhart
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 11:14:10 PM »
Was it as good as it looks?  Was any part of it crispy, or al dente?  Thanks for sharing. :chef:
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline dmaxdmax

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 11:33:39 PM »
Looks great, John, but that's nothing new!

Why is it so important to eliminate oil?  (insert BP joke here - after all you do call this a Hybrid :)
Is it a matter of principal or does oil introduce a quality you dislike?

I really shouldn't read these threads when I'm taking a week vacation from pizza to make some sourdough bread!

Dave
Always make new mistakes.

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 11:37:58 PM »
John,
That looks so damn delicious! How was the crust as far as chewiness and crisp goes for you?
 :)
-Bill

Offline DannyG

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 07:34:53 AM »
Was it as good as it looks?  Was any part of it crispy, or al dente?  Thanks for sharing. :chef:

John, I would also like to know what you thought about taste. What do you get from the honey?

buceriasdon

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2011, 07:45:37 AM »
John, Except for the use of honey this is very close to the recipe I now use with my AP. The pizza looks superb as always. I did have a question about your work flow. You say it was balled six hours prior to baking, do you mean reballed?
Don

I dumped everything in the bowl and mixed on stir (kitchen aid) for 4 minutes.  Dough rested 5 minutes.  Dough was mixed on stir plus one half for 3 minutes.  Dough was sticky.  Poured dough onto a baking sheet coated with about 1 tablespoon oil.  Did a quick stretch and fold to lightly coat all of dough.  Dough was then scaled, balled and refrigerated.

The following dough was in the fridge 23 hours...it was balled 6 hours prior to baking, and taken out to warm up 2 hours prior to baking.  Baked in my home oven at about 550 degrees for 7 minutes.
John

Offline Jet_deck

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2011, 10:18:20 PM »
Thanks for that question Don.  I've got 3 of these dough balls in the fridge now.  I will report that my experience from the mixer to the ball stage involved alot of bench flour.  Time will tell.  ;)

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2011, 10:37:29 PM »
Bill, this crust is crispy, but tender, with a slight chew....the chew will disappear in this batch of dough as time goes on this week.
Danny, I like the flavor honey gives dough....it's not a real sweetness...it's a kind of deepness...hard to explain, maybe its just in my mind.
Dave, the reason I would rather eliminate oil is because of my wife...she watches absolutely every calorie she eats, and I would love to keep her excited about pizza, because that makes my life sweet.
Don, yes I meant reballed and I'm sorry about that
Jet, it doesn't take one iota of flour to ball this dough if you follow Reinhart's instructions and drop your dough onto a lightly oiled surface..Just a tablespoon of oil will allow you to scale and ball the whole batch.

This next dough was in the fridge 40 hours, was reballed 6 hours prior to baking, and taken out of the fridge two hours prior to baking.  As I mentioned to Bill above, there is not chewiness in this crust, it is crisp, tender, and delicious....it probably could have used a hotter oven..but it turned out ok!!

John

Offline dmaxdmax

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2011, 12:56:41 AM »
John - Great answer!
Always make new mistakes.

Offline Jet_deck

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2011, 12:53:55 PM »
....Jet, it doesn't take one iota of flour to ball this dough if you follow Reinhart's instructions and drop your dough onto a lightly oiled surface..Just a tablespoon of oil will allow you to scale and ball the whole batch.....

May I ask what type of mixer you use?

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2011, 01:52:40 PM »
Kitchen aid, jet

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2011, 07:56:31 PM »
Day 3 of hybrid...64 hours in the fridge, reball 11 hours prior to bake....absolutely excellent crust, no chew, just crispy tender goodness.....I wish there were a way to get this texture in a shorter ferment time...I just don't know how!!!

John

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2011, 09:13:28 PM »
Wow that looks GREAT!I love the fact its a crunchy pie,I loves those once in a while.Is that ham and sausage?
 :pizza:

-Bill

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2011, 12:56:50 AM »
Yup!!

Offline Jet_deck

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2011, 07:47:52 AM »
My results: Oysters Reinhart

I think the Bosch could have used maybe a couple extra minutes, both before and after the rest to develop the gluten a bit more. But the ball did open like a well read book.

"Chargrilled" oysters, Soppresata, and a 50/50 blend of Oaxaca/Asadero cheese. More info available if needed.  Thanks John, for your work :chef:

The last picture shows the divot left from the shell.  I pretreated the areas on which the shells would sit, so that they might cook well and I guess it worked.  The divot was firm and not "doughy" at all.

buceriasdon

« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2011, 08:12:57 AM »
Jet Deck, Excellent !
Don

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2011, 05:08:03 PM »
Wow!  I like!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2011, 07:15:45 PM »

Jet_deck,

I really like your oyster Reinhart!  Looks delicious.   :)

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2011, 07:40:12 PM »
Yuuuuuuumm!!!

John

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2011, 10:39:36 PM »
Last of my doughs from this batch:

162 hours in the fridge, reballed 5 hours prior to bake, opened up cold before bake....excellent pizza all week, and this one was the best!!
John