Author Topic: hybrid Reinhart  (Read 13087 times)

Online tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
Re: hybrid Reinhart
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2011, 10:45:43 PM »
Looks super delicious.  Making me hungry... 

Regards,

TinRoof

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2011, 11:58:31 PM »
Last of my doughs from this batch:

162 hours in the fridge, reballed 5 hours prior to bake, opened up cold before bake....excellent pizza all week, and this one was the best!!
John

John,

Your hybrid Reinhart pizza does look excellent!  :)

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline DannyG

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2011, 08:33:02 AM »
John,
Are you storing your dough balls in individual containers?

162 hours is just about 7 days. I usually go with a three day (72 hour) refrigerated rise and I've got my yeast proportioned so the dough hits it maximum rise in about 60 hours. I haven't gone longer for fear of the dough going past its prime. Can you describe how long it takes your dough to rise maximum size and does it just stay at that level over all that time?

Thanks.

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2011, 01:36:04 PM »
They really were very good Norma and TR

Danny, dough stored in individual containers...they usually fill the containers by day 3 or 4..I just let them stay that way until the day of bake.  Reballing seems to bring the dough to life.  Next time I will use cold water to slow it down a bit, though I really don't know what I'll gain, since this last dough was primo
John

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2011, 11:56:15 PM »
They really were very good Norma and TR

Danny, dough stored in individual containers...they usually fill the containers by day 3 or 4..I just let them stay that way until the day of bake.  Reballing seems to bring the dough to life.  Next time I will use cold water to slow it down a bit, though I really don't know what I'll gain, since this last dough was primo
John

John,
Does reballing the dough also help to bring a deflated dough,or a dough that may be ready to pop, back up again after it rises a day or so after reballing? I have not tried that yet.

If reballing would help me store a dough longer for a few more days,I may give it a try on a doughball I have,that is getting quite large now.

:)

-Bill

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2011, 12:41:27 AM »
Bill
The longest one I've done is on a 7 day old dough, which has filled up the container and stopped growing, although there are gaseous bubbles in it.  I'd wait until the day of baking to reball, and I think you will be amazed how the dough comes to life and starts growing again....give it 5 or 6 hours if you can.  Also, if you wait that long, don't bother warming the dough up before opening....just take it out, dump it, form it, bake it and enjoy!!

John

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2011, 02:03:52 AM »
Bill
The longest one I've done is on a 7 day old dough, which has filled up the container and stopped growing, although there are gaseous bubbles in it.  I'd wait until the day of baking to reball, and I think you will be amazed how the dough comes to life and starts growing again....give it 5 or 6 hours if you can.  Also, if you wait that long, don't bother warming the dough up before opening....just take it out, dump it, form it, bake it and enjoy!!

John

Thanks John...I would like to try that sometime soon!
 :)
-Bill

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2011, 02:05:07 PM »
Again experimenting with Reinhart's techniques and varying his recipes a bit.....in search of the KISS pizza I know is out there.  This week I'm lowering the hydration a bit, just to make the dough easier to open up...to give it a bit more body so to speak.  Here is the recipe to make 6 twelve ounce dough balls, using KABF, olive oil, cool tap water, salt and instant yeast.

Flour (100%):
Water (72.5%):
IDY (.5%):
Salt (2%):
Olive Oil (2%):
Honey (2%):
Total (179%):
Single Ball:
1185.95 g  |  41.83 oz | 2.61 lbs
859.81 g  |  30.33 oz | 1.9 lbs
5.93 g | 0.21 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.97 tsp | 0.66 tbsp
23.72 g | 0.84 oz | 0.05 lbs | 4.25 tsp | 1.42 tbsp
23.72 g | 0.84 oz | 0.05 lbs | 5.27 tsp | 1.76 tbsp
23.72 g | 0.84 oz | 0.05 lbs | 3.39 tsp | 1.13 tbsp
2122.85 g | 74.88 oz | 4.68 lbs | TF = N/A
353.81 g | 12.48 oz | 0.78 lbs

Again dumped everything in Kitchen Aid bowl....mixed 4 minutes on stir, rest 5 minutes, mixed 3 minutes on stir plus one half.  Poured dough onto a baking sheet smeared with 1 tablespoon of oil.  Did a quick stretch and fold to lightly oil the dough ball.  Scaled, balled and refrigerated.

The following pizza dough was in the fridge for only 9 hours, it was reballed 4 hours prior to baking, and brought out of refrigeration 90 minutes prior to baking.  I wasn't expecting much from this young dough, but was pleasantly surprised at it's amazing texture and good flavor.  It was baked in 550 degree deck oven.
John

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2011, 03:43:10 PM »
John,

When I was experimenting with a modified Reinhart Classic dough, Peter had explained to me that if I lower the hydration and added oil and honey, it should produce a softer crumb at Reply 6 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13347.msg132167.html#msg132167 I did lower the hydration and added oil and honey at Reply 33 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13347.msg133201.html#msg133201 but they weren’t the same amounts of ingredients you used, but did you notice a softer crumb with your formula?  Also what kind of flour did you use in your formula.  I am always interested in the KISS method, so I will be following your experiments.  Your pie looks great!  :) Soon I need to get experimenting with the Reinhart doughs again.

Norma

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2011, 01:48:03 AM »
Norma
For whatever reason there is....I notice that the dough from day 1 has the same texture as my other Reinhart doughs had at day 3...that is, it is tender, crisp, not at all chewy, and soft in the middle.  Now, maybe it's a fluke....I won't really know until I do this exact experiment again.  I'm using KABF this time.
Here's the second pizza of the batch...in the fridge 32 hours, reballed 10 hours prior to baking....although I'm not at all good at hand tossing, this dough has the strength to be handtossed....it was again baked in a 550 degree deck oven....this is a primo pizza...crust and toppings!!!!!  Chipottle flavored white sauce with anchovy, clams, shrimp, romano, and garlic.  Also, this is a 12 ounce dough stretched to a 13 by 11 inch oval.
John
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 01:50:04 AM by fazzari »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2011, 08:43:24 AM »
John,

Thanks for your explanations about you achieving the same texture as your other Reinhart dough had at different times.  It seems to me, the honey contributes something to the softness in the crumb, along with the higher hydration, in Reinhart doughs.  Do you agree with this?

I agree with you that your pie was a primo pizza in every way! Definitively first class.  :chef: Thanks for experimenting with Reinhart doughs.

Norma

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2011, 01:18:09 AM »
Actually Norma, all of the Reinhart pizzas so far have been soft...I think it can all be attributed to high hydration.....I made many a pizza with no honey at all..and so that is what I observe.  Now, the texture is something else.  All of my pizzas were good but not great the first couple days...it was always the 3 day and older dough which had the crisp, tender and not chewy texture I love.  But, this batch I'm working on now...have all been great since day one...I'm very excited about this one and so are my crew!!
John

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2011, 02:02:40 PM »
Last dough of the batch
In the fridge 96 hours...reballed 11 hours prior to bake

Made a breakfast pizza for my wife and me...got my home oven up to 600, and baked this one for 5 minutes.  Unfortunately, I need to get a larger oven peel so I can open these doughs up more..this 12 ounce dough is only 11 inches in diameter, but tender, it's so tender!!  Can't wait to try another batch to see if it comes out this good.
John

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2011, 12:11:40 AM »
Brand new batch, and a new technique (at least for me)

So, here is a dough which was in the fridge 23 hours.  It was reballed 12 hours prior to baking.  It was opened up right out of the fridge (no warm up period).  What a difference, so easy to open and stretch because it wasn't TOOOOO stretchy.  This is a 12 ounce dough, stretched to 12 inches...easily could have been 13 inches but my peel wasn't big enough.  This is baked in my home oven, which I only had up to 530 degrees...and I think it was perfect...every inch was golden brown.  The pizza is crisp, but oh so tender!
John

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2011, 08:37:41 AM »
John,

Thanks for sharing your new technique for your hybrid Reinhart pizza.  It is interesting that no warm up period is needed.  Your pizza looks super delicious!  :) The nice tender crumb sounds great.

Norma

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2011, 12:11:53 PM »
Norma
You know as well as I, the knowledge comes in itty bitty bits.  One more thing I'm working on regarding these doughs...will shortening the reball time prior to bake improve the pizza as the dough ages. With this particular process I'm going to say yes, but I will verify tonight after work.
Here is a pizza we had for lunch yesterday....in the fridge 48 hours, reballed 12 hours prior to bake...should have baked it just a hair longer, but it was again good eats....with an excellent bottom
John

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2011, 12:37:53 PM »
Norma
You know as well as I, the knowledge comes in itty bitty bits.  One more thing I'm working on regarding these doughs...will shortening the reball time prior to bake improve the pizza as the dough ages. With this particular process I'm going to say yes, but I will verify tonight after work.
Here is a pizza we had for lunch yesterday....in the fridge 48 hours, reballed 12 hours prior to bake...should have baked it just a hair longer, but it was again good eats....with an excellent bottom
John

John,

I know when experimenting with any dough, knowledge does come in bits and pieces.  Will be watching how your experiments turn out.  You recent hybrid Reinhart looks like it was really good eats!  :chef:

Norma

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2011, 02:29:32 AM »
My hunch was correct regarding reballing older doughs.  This dough was in the fridge 82 hours...I reballed it about 8 hours prior to baking.  Again, I took it right from the fridge to the make up table...and the dough was very easy to open, because it had some strength...in fact it felt just as good as day 1.  I'm finding these doughs bake up "prettiest" in a cooler rather that hotter oven..so this one was baked in a 520 degree deck.  My new rule of thumb is to reball no more than 8 hours prior to bake after dough has aged 24 hours.
This was another great pizza!!
John

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2011, 02:14:01 AM »
Another good one...96 hours in the fridge...reball 8 hours prior to baking...again baked at 520..amazing texture and flavor.

John

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2011, 06:21:05 AM »
John,

Amazing that your hybrid dough ball could go for 96 hours in the fridge, when you added 0.5% IDY to your dough mix.  Fantastic looking pie!!  ;D  I am sure it was tasty.

Norma