Author Topic: Marble or Granite ?  (Read 2073 times)

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
Marble or Granite ?
« on: April 29, 2011, 09:50:12 PM »
I am tired of working on our old Formica countertops.  I intend to purchase a 30" x 30" piece of something to (hopefully) facilitate easier cleanup.  So which is better and why ? 

If i stick some small felt tabs under the new work surface to not scratch the Formica or a stone tile countertop, is either of them stronger so I don't bust the new slab in half ?  Thanks in advance, I don't know anything about getting stone. :)

Is their a large weight difference between the two ?

Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Re: Marble or Granite ?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 09:52:19 PM »
Why can't you use a cutting board/butcher block?

buceriasdon

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 10:05:04 PM »
Granite is denser and heavier than marble. I love my granite. 30x30 would be quite heavy depending on thickness, I would opt for half that or perhaps 18x18.  IMO get granite it's less prone to scratching what have you.
Don
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 10:11:50 PM by buceriasdon »

Offline Bob1

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 07:50:05 AM »
Go granite marble is porous and stains.

Bob

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 08:45:30 AM »
Go granite marble is porous and stains.

Bob

Very true. And highly reactive with certain substances. You cannot leave orange juice sitting on it for any length of time, for instance. It will also chip more easily. I really wanted marble for my countertops but happily chose granite instead. I put the marble on the backsplash.

John

Offline Matthew

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2011, 09:47:33 AM »
I have honed Statuario Veneziano on my kitchen countertops & backsplash. The main issue with marble is etching. To me, etching adds a natural patina & gives the stone its character. We in the modern world become overly consumed with perfection & are not really ready for these types of products.  Marble has been the stone of choice in kitchens & restaurants in Europe for hundreds of years.  

Matt
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 09:50:15 AM by Matthew »

Offline breadman_nz

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2011, 04:36:12 PM »
Or you could consider another option, like an artificial Quartz. This stuff is much easier to wipe than marble or granite (no streaks), yet has the same working surface characteristics. Very nice, very practical.

http://www.diamondstone.co.nz/index.cfm/pageid/3

[no interests to declare]

pizzapan