Author Topic: Foreign Oven...  (Read 788 times)

Offline wucactus1

Foreign Oven...
« on: May 01, 2011, 10:53:33 AM »
I got invited over a friends place to make a nearly-neo pie in his oven.  He supplied cheese and toppings while I brought the dough, sauce and equipment.  Needless to say it was a fun night and in a way a challenge.  His oven is completely different then mine.  The thermometer probe is so close to the oven walls(1/16" that it was impossible for me to fit the frozen towel on...strike one, and his broiler was a flame not a coil.  So the actual stone and pizza management was extremely complicated for the first pie where I attempted to heat the stone on the oven flour and then transfer it underneath the broiler and broil it for 20min before launching the pie...the pie was in the oven far too long and barely cooked...failure and hence not really picture worthy, but I learned and adapted, using intuition and the various tactic I learned from here decided to just throw the stone under the broiler directly and try my hand at this method.  It yielded a more successful by by the first standards that had decent spring and bottom char.  The pie resembled something along the lines of a Coal style rather than wood, but was still good.  It cooked for 3/3.5 min and was good, but not as good as what I can do at home in my oven where I can get the time down to 2 maybe less with the towel trick and broiler combo.
Formula
50/50 AT/00
65% H2O
2.5 Salt
Two scoops of starter
10 hour rise
.85 tf

Dough handled nicely, but could have fermented maybe another hour or so and may try a 67% hydration next time...Does anyone now Motorino or UPN's Hydration?

To knead the dough I incorporated everything together for  2 min, rested 25min and then resumed by just merely rolling the dough around the sides of my bowl with a spoon slowly for 15 min(sort of like a fork mixer?) then rested for 10 and just sort of balled where it bulked for 4.5 hours.  Divided and folded each individual balls 2-3 times and rested again another 5 hours(including the 1 hour preheat).  Is this to much kneading?  This work flow produces wonderfully aerated bread with amazing crumb, but again those doughs are maybe 70+ hydration...

Here are some pics(they are horrible and actually make the pie look worse than what it was...iPhone camera is so spotty, sometimes good pics, sometimes not...) Im mainly concerned with the crumb more than anything, but tell me what you think...
back to finals studying!

pizzapan