Author Topic: Pupatella - Arlington VA  (Read 7839 times)

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
Pupatella - Arlington VA
« on: May 01, 2011, 08:28:34 PM »
I went to an Orioles game last week and on the way up an back wanted to try the NP pizza choices in VA/MD/DC.

First up: Pupatella

We arrived Saturday at 12:45. They had opened at 12:00noon. There were 8-10 people there. There was three of us and, after ordering, we sat on the end of the counter.

We ordered three along with aranciata and limonata:

THE REAL MARGHERITA DOC: Neapolitan buffalo mozzarella, basil & olive oil $12
CHORIZO:  Spicy Spanish chorizo, thinly-shaved red onion, roasted red pepper and fresh mozzarella $12
MUSHROOM:  White garlic sauce, sautéed mushrooms, garlic, brie cheese & truffle oil $11

One word...Wow! Second word...Inspiring.

Tender, perfectly baked, great combinations. The Margherita was perfect. The Chorizo was spicy and bold. The Mushroom was amazing with the Brie.

I asked about the temp of the oven. After measuring it with an IR thermometer, "950" was the reply.  While eating (enjoying) our pies, I noticed the occasional charred pie coming out of the oven. Much darker that ours.

I highly recommend Pupatella to all.

Pupatella Neapolitan Pizzeria & Friggitoria
5104 Wilson Boulevard
Arlington VA 22205
571-312-7230
pupatella.com

Pics:
1. The oven @950
2. Enzo
3. Enzo
4. Enzo
5. Enzo and our pizze
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 09:32:27 PM by Mmmph »
Sono venuto, ho visto, ho mangiato

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
Re: Pupatella - Arlington VA
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 08:31:25 PM »
More Pics;

6. Pies
7. Pies
8. Pies
9. Pies
10.Upskirt
11.Upskirt

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 07:13:56 AM »
That oven is a Forno Napoletano. And from the looks of the pies emerging, it is a fantastic performer. Did you happen to find out what type of yeast they are using? Can you describe the taste of the crust? Thanks for the great review.

John

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 08:53:20 AM »
the pies look great!!
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." Leonardo da Vinci

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 09:44:41 AM »
Yes, a Forno Napoletano indeed....the oven I would choose if I opened my own place.

I agree with Mmmph. This is definitely a "must visit" place when in the DC area for pizza, arguably the first stop on such a list. These pies can go toe-to-toe with anything being done in NYC right now.

Marco Parente (pizzanapoletana) got a nice early mention on the Pupatella Blog when they announced their intent to open a brick and mortar location (Pupatella started as a pizza cart).

Step 1. Order a wood-burning pizza oven from Naples.  Marco Parente is our guy in Naples.  They have this oven shop, called Forno Napoletano.  http://forno-napoletano.it/  The ovens are built from local bricks and clay by Neapolitan artisans.  We personally tasted pizzas made in one of those ovens and they were the best!  It was in this pizzeria called Da Salvo, just outside of Naples. The pizzeria was great by the way, the best in the Naples area.  Not only they had the best-tasting pizzas, they also had amazing appetizers and fried calzones.

Mmmph, sounds like you are not too far from me (I live in Baltimore). If that is correct, drop me a PM sometime. Would love to meet up someplace (Pupatella perhaps) for pizza and certainly would not turn down an invitation to your place for LBE pies!  ;)
"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 10:04:55 AM »
@John: I didn't ask about the yeast. It was difficult enough taking pictures with those beautiful, edible pies in front of me. I noticed no sourdough type flavor. The crumb was actually more dense than my LBE pies, but still amazing.

@Pizzabloggef: I live in NC. I grew up in MD, and still have family up there, along with my love of the Orioles. 2AMYS review next, as soon as I get the pics off of my camera.

Offline NJPizzaiolo

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2011, 10:56:50 PM »
@John: I didn't ask about the yeast. It was difficult enough taking pictures with those beautiful, edible pies in front of me. I noticed no sourdough type flavor. The crumb was actually more dense than my LBE pies, but still amazing.

@Pizzabloggef: I live in NC. I grew up in MD, and still have family up there, along with my love of the Orioles. 2AMYS review next, as soon as I get the pics off of my camera.
They are VPN,has to be fresh  block yeast,only kind allowed.I also heard they were very good.

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 08:36:32 AM »
From their FAQ section.

"What is your dough recipe?
   The dough is made of only four ingredients. Flour, fresh yeast, sea salt, water.  The flour used is soft-grain Italian Caputo flour that
   is unbleached and unbromated (most American flours are bleached and bromated, a processes that strips wheat of most of its nutrients and adds saturated fat)."

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2011, 01:19:10 PM »
Great Video about Pupatella.

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2011, 02:07:52 PM »
That's a great video shows how much they care about what they are doing. Nice find Andre.

Offline shango

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2011, 04:36:12 PM »
Nice vid.  Looks like an 8 inch pizza?
pizza, pizza, pizza

Offline plainslicer

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2011, 04:53:11 PM »
I think it was about 10". I've had their pizza twice now, and while the second time wasn't as good as the first it was still really, really good. I know I'm in the minority here but I really do like the soft crusts.

Offline Matthew

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2011, 05:12:43 PM »
I know I'm in the minority here but I really do like the soft crusts.

It's lonely here in the soft crust & slightly wet pizza world!  Enzo looks like he puts out a very nice product.

Matt

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2011, 05:15:26 PM »
i agree Matt, those pizzas look great!!

Offline StrayBullet

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2011, 02:28:26 PM »
This place was FANTASTIC!!!

I drove up with a colleague on Monday after getting into the Lansdowne area only to find out post 45m drive that they're closed on Sunday/Monday...my fault!

Drove back up in traffic on Tuesday evening and was glad I did!  Pizza was out of this world and I was amazed at the nonstop business during the hour or so I was there.  Unpretentious, great workflow and awesome product!  This will definitely be a regular stop when I'm in the area :)

Mark

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2011, 02:45:24 PM »
Great video and amazing looking pies!  Would love to try it someday.

Chau

Offline soflnoles

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2011, 02:40:26 PM »
I have eaten at Pupatella twice in the past month and have to say this is by far the best pie in the DC area by a long shot.  The Margherita is fantastic with great crust and fantastic sauce.  It sucks that I live in northern Montgomery County but I can tell you whenever we are in the area we will make the detour. 

Great pizza.

Offline communist

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2012, 08:08:51 PM »
Mmmph told me where to go for the best Neopolitan pie in the Washington D.C. area - Pupatella's.   I love pizza, and in 53 years had never had a Neopolitan pie.  I admit, I love NY pie.  I am a man of the street, and a common man and the New York slice speaks to me.  Mention Neopolitan and floppy, wet and burned flash across my view.  Is it dough for the high class? ...  Do I have to wear a tux to the dining hall?  I confess that I suffer seizures near a country club and enjoy messing up golf sand traps!   But those Neo pies on the forum look so good!  John Conklin's mobile show is edible photography and Texas Craig's pies are transcendant - and they both look and act like real men. They believe in Neo pies, and I was ready to take a walk on the wild side.  Visiting Fairfax, Virginia, I decided jumping the Metro to Vienna would be the best style to approach the place.  It was still an eight block walk from the stop, and I wasn't going to get a taxi even though my twelve year old was pulling up lame.  Hmmm.  There it was, an unpretentious strip mall joint.  Small and busy.  I saw Enzo and said hello.  Maybe he couldn't see past those sunglasses.  I shouted hello louder and he grunted, I think.  I ordered three pies - had to start with the Margherita D.O.C. or whatever, a white with spinach, red peppers, pine nuts and feta, and then a red pie with shrooms, ham, and artichokes.  Clocked the pies ranging from 54 seconds to 70 seconds.  The pies look appetizing and tasted great.  Yes, floppy crust but cloudy puffy around the outside, thin elsewhere, and a hint of deep flavor from the char.  That Neo char does not taste like 5 minute burnt pizza.  It is different beast.  And not a hit of wetness or raw dough, just hot fresh pizza dough.  The red sauce was bright and fresh.  The toppings were fresh and flavorful and colorful.  The dough was an artist's canvas.  The potential for creativity seems endless.  My group of six had never had Neo pies and everyone was impressed.  I highly recommend Pupatella's - that Enzo knows how to make 'em!  Pics to follow, hopefully Mark

Offline communist

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2012, 08:22:34 PM »
pupatella

Offline communist

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2012, 08:23:58 PM »
Pupatella

pizzapan