Author Topic: Pupatella - Arlington VA  (Read 6376 times)

Offline communist

Re: Pupatella - Arlington VA
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2012, 08:25:12 PM »
Pupatella

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2012, 08:47:21 PM »
Wow, some great looking pies, and I love the guys orange hat. Where can I get me one? 8)

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2012, 11:31:51 PM »
Thanks for the review. I'll be in DC in the fall and will visit Pupatella for sure.

CL
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline R2-Bayou

« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2012, 11:33:44 AM »
I visited Pupatella last year when in DC on business. Cool little spot. A little out of the way for where I was, but worth the trip. Crowded (a good sign). I'd recommend to anyone going to DC. Here are some pics..
"Wretched excess is just barely enough."

Offline communist

« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2012, 09:33:03 AM »
Nice pics r2-Bayou.  I loved Pupatella's pizza.  How did it compare to your samplings in Italy?  Mark

Offline R2-Bayou

« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2012, 02:05:58 PM »
Mark,

Pupatella's pizza is right in line with the spectrum of neapolitan pies that I had in Italy. Not as much char and leoparding as we saw at da Michele or Salvo, but certainly in line with most of the pizza we tried. What I really liked about Pupatella was their willingness to get creative with toppings.

-Steve

Offline communist

« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2012, 03:15:22 PM »
Thanks Steve :)  Mark

Offline communist

« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2012, 09:40:44 PM »
We headed back down to Washington Saturday, and crossed the river to revisit Pupatella's. Half my family had not tasted the pizza.  It was a hot, sweltering evening, and at 7:30 the place was buzzing. Enzo doubled the size of the place, pushing into space next door.  The place was crowded and the furnace cranked up.  We ordered six pies, and were told to expect a 45 minute wait.  My youngest threw a hissy fit, and I told her to cool her heels outside for a while - it was well worth the wait.  The napolotano oven was blazing.  It had this dark black cloud of smoke swirling about 10 inches over the oven surface.  Pies were spewing out in under a minute.  They appeared a bit dark and scorched, but not burnt.  We got our pies and they were unreal!  Puffy crusts, tender crumb, and enough char to make the the taste complex.  Several pies had a smokey flavor, adding significantly to the taste.  Was this the black cloud?  Was it intentional?  Was the oven alive and breathing its fire into the pies.  Is this what happens when a shop is buzzing and Enzo and his crew is making pies like a madman and logs are being incinerated and people are glad to wait up to an hour for a pie?  The toppings were creative,colorful and flavorful - we had white pizzas, margheritas, spinach, peppers, ham and more.  What a feast.  This place is pushing into new frontiers and is phenomenal.  Five stars!  ( having trouble loading pics tonite - will try tomorrow )  Mark

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2012, 02:43:46 AM »
Thanks for the review.  My brother is coming to DC next month and I will definitely have him try the pizzas.  One thing I don't understand though is the long wait even when you are already seated.  Isn't the Forno Napoletano oven supposed to crank out 200+ pies in an hour as per Marco?  I'm not sure why you have to wait 45 mins-1 hr after ordering.  I can understand the long wait to get seated but once you get seated, the pizza should come out pretty fast.  Maybe someone with experience can help explain. 

Offline pizzanapoletana

• Pizza Napoletana as it was made in 1730!
    • Forno Napoletano - Pizza Ovens
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2012, 08:44:40 AM »
Thanks for the review.  My brother is coming to DC next month and I will definitely have him try the pizzas.  One thing I don't understand though is the long wait even when you are already seated.  Isn't the Forno Napoletano oven supposed to crank out 200+ pies in an hour as per Marco?  I'm not sure why you have to wait 45 mins-1 hr after ordering.  I can understand the long wait to get seated but once you get seated, the pizza should come out pretty fast.  Maybe someone with experience can help explain. 

You still need a team capable of handling 4-5 pizze per minute in and out of the oven, plus there could be other factors (do not know the place too well other then Internet review), but if they also do take out there may be those orders that adds up to the queue. the oven was doing his job (cooking under a minute according to the reviewer). At that speed of cooking if the "fornaio" can only properly handle 2-3 pizza at the time, it is better not push him as few seconds late it could be burnt.

@ Franco Manca inside the Olimipic Village in London, during busy service periods, they are doing over 300 pizza per hour right now, in fact they are not even using the second oven they have as they are dealing well with one.

Ciao

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2012, 09:04:27 AM »
Thanks for the review.  My brother is coming to DC next month and I will definitely have him try the pizzas.  One thing I don't understand though is the long wait even when you are already seated.  Isn't the Forno Napoletano oven supposed to crank out 200+ pies in an hour as per Marco?  I'm not sure why you have to wait 45 mins-1 hr after ordering.  I can understand the long wait to get seated but once you get seated, the pizza should come out pretty fast.  Maybe someone with experience can help explain.  

There are a lot of variables involved. One of particular note is how many patrons enter the establishment within a short time of each other. Many popular places get a crush of people during busy times (regardless of restaurant type). And this would certainly be the case right as a restaurant opens. Most of the really popular pizza joints fill up immediately after opening.

And patrons are generally not machine guns at ordering. So, if tables take time to get situated, look at them menu, order drinks, etc, that is down time. If enough tables do this within a close enough time period, it could impact the workflow.

There are more variables, but there are multiple issues that may keep the pizzamaking from just knocking out pie one after the other. There may be a short down period and then a crush of orders.

If an oven can put out 200 pies per hour, that is 3.33 pizzas per minute (and that assumes the pizzaiolo always has 3.33 pizzas opened and dressed so they can be launched the instant the previous 3.33 pies are taken out of the oven by the fornaio). As a high level simple example, say there are 50 pizzas in front of you. That would take 15 minutes to cook those 50 pies before your order came up....and that is assuming the staff on hand is capable of that workrate and that the orders are all coming in a somewhat orderly sequence (meaning that all 50 pizzas are already ordered on the make table). Using this example, the realistic scenario is that while there may be enough tables and patrons sat before you to order/demand 50 pizzas, there are enough pauses (looking at menus, ordering drinks) from the patrons and other events (short-staffed for an evening, a newer employee not yet up to full speed with his skillset, etc) that keep the workflow from operating in one-after-another machine gun fashion from time to time. Hence the wait.

A poor example and explanation perhaps and I'm in a rush, but it can often take longer than expected to get the orders out.

That being said, Pupatella is excellent pizza. My favorite I've had in the Maryland-NoVa-Baltimore metropolitan region. --K
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 09:06:44 AM by pizzablogger »
"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

Offline pizzanapoletana

• Pizza Napoletana as it was made in 1730!
    • Forno Napoletano - Pizza Ovens
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2012, 09:13:56 AM »
On the balck smoke:

Smoke is always present but mostly not visible in the oven when at max temperature. Black smoke is caused by a new log beginning to burn and causing an increasing in temperature that stabilise in few second and the smoke  get back to white/invisible.

Smoke (black or white) does impart a wonderful flavour that is absent from ellectric and gas fired ovens.

Offline othafa9

« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2012, 01:12:43 PM »
I'd like to see video of 300 pizza/hour.  Even with 3 elite pizzaioli, I can't imagine that is possible.  Even if the team was fast enough for that the oven would never recover.  The oven floor would get very "cold".  Hey, but if I'm wrong I'd love to see that!

cornicione54

« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2012, 01:28:16 PM »
I've seen the pizzaioli in full swing at Franco Manca and they are fast. but 300/hour? hmmmm...
I have noticed the charring can vary quite considerably from one pie to the next.
As for the smoke flavour, I've not experienced that from any WFO pizza I've tried yet including Franco Manca.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 07:08:57 PM by cornicione54 »

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2012, 02:04:26 PM »
Thanks Marco and Kelly for the insights.  I just thought that they were probably not maximizing the oven based on the wait time and they could probably serve more people if they did that.  I would expect 15-20 mins wait time for your order to be the average although I don't know how many seats they have in their pizzeria.  It would be interesting to see their workflow in video to get a better idea. 

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2012, 02:10:08 PM »
I'd like to see video of 300 pizza/hour.  Even with 3 elite pizzaioli, I can't imagine that is possible.  Even if the team was fast enough for that the oven would never recover.  The oven floor would get very "cold".  Hey, but if I'm wrong I'd love to see that!

I'm not so sure about the oven floor being "cold".

Elite pizzaiolo (or better yet a dedicated elite fornaio) would keep the wood going....and Enzo himself mentioned how much he liked the Forno Napoletano's ability to maintain temps well even when very busy. It's quite a beautiful oven. --K

Offline communist

« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2012, 02:11:42 PM »
I think he does a good take-out business too. There is no real waitress service.  You seat yourself, grab some drinks, and they will bring your pies out when done.  He was working like a madman, and I saw only Enzo doing the stretching and assembly, with a lot of set-up for ingredients from others.  I would estimate he was doing about 2 or 3 pies in a minute - next time I will time him.  Marco, that smoke marinated flavor was wonderful!   Mark

Offline R2-Bayou

« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2012, 02:17:07 PM »
they also consider themselves a "friggitoria", where they serve an extensive fried menu. so its not just pizzas to consider on the speed of service factor...

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2012, 02:40:57 PM »
I've watched this particular video quite a few times. A good example of fast paced workflow.

Akinari Makishima (Pizzaiolo Pasquale) on pace to make 96 pies an hour during a service at Cesare in Japan.

He has someone initially opening the dough, but he does all of the slapping/shaping, dressing, launching and stick work himself. In the 9 minute video he has made, cooked and served 12 pizzas and has another 5 ready to launch at the videos conclusion. The second batch of handling 7 pies in the oven at once is hectic!

At 5:20 or so the videographer got a little too close to the oven while Makishima was on the sticks.....ouch!

If he had someone to open the skins, then himself slapping and dressing and then someone to solely man the oven, production would increase as there would be no downtime. There would always be a pie ready to launch immediately as one was served. Still, this guy can move! --K

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOLTlhcThe0" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOLTlhcThe0</a>

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2012, 02:48:06 PM »
I think he does a good take-out business too. There is no real waitress service.  You seat yourself, grab some drinks, and they will bring your pies out when done.  He was working like a madman, and I saw only Enzo doing the stretching and assembly, with a lot of set-up for ingredients from others.  I would estimate he was doing about 2 or 3 pies in a minute - next time I will time him.  Marco, that smoke marinated flavor was wonderful!   Mark

Correct on all counts. And the fried items are a delight as well! --K