Author Topic: JT's home oven NY pies  (Read 15661 times)

Offline Jackie Tran

Re: JT's home oven NY pies
« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2011, 09:27:57 PM »
Thanks Bill and Dmcavanagh.  My 14" wooden Peel is a superpeel and I forgot that I bought the extension kit for 16" pies long ago but have never used it.  Thank you for the reminder, I will dig it out now instead of using the screen.

update: I found the extension kit sold by super peel. It turns their ordinary super peel into a 16" super peel or at least it is suppose to.  
http://www.superpeel.com/images/Exp-Kit-on-Butternut-2-lg.jpg

Once attached, this new peel measures 20" side to side but only 14" front to back.  So....how am I suppose to load a 16" round when it's only 14" front to back?  ???

Bill it sounds like you have a regular super peel and a larger one.  Is that correct or are you using the extension kit?

Chau
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 07:08:26 AM by Jackie Tran »

scott123

« Reply #51 on: July 23, 2011, 09:40:09 PM »
Oh and btw Scott,you are right,I am loving the stone cooked pies over the screens.I can do shorter bake times and get superior results.Im loving those shorter bake times.
 :)

Bill, your experience is fairly typical.  Anyone that I've ever known who's gone from 7+ minute bakes to 4-5 has never gone back permanently to 7+.  On the other hand, I know lots of folks that go from 4 to <2, only to make the decision to go back to 4. Neapolitan is just not for everyone, while 4 minute NY- that's pretty much universal. Imho, of course  ;D

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #52 on: July 23, 2011, 10:11:21 PM »
scott123,

I stand corrected. I was, in fact, thinking of the 18" pizza that Bill made.

Peter

Offline chickenparm

• In Memoriam
  • Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #53 on: July 24, 2011, 12:14:24 AM »
Thanks Bill and Dmcavanagh.  My 14" wooden Peel is a superpeel and I forgot that I bought the extension kit for 16" pies long ago but have never used it.  Thank you for the reminder, I will dig it out now instead of using the screen.

update: I found the extension kit sold by super peel. It turns their ordinary super peel into a 16" super peel or at least it suppose to.  
http://www.superpeel.com/images/Exp-Kit-on-Butternut-2-lg.jpg

Once attached, this new peel measures 20" side to side but only 14" front to back.  So....how am I suppose to load a 16" round when it's only 14" front to back?  ???

Bill it sounds like you have a regular super peel and a larger one.  Is that correct or are you using the extension kit?

Chau

Chau,

I have 2 super peels,the original one and a much larger Super Peel called the Beta Peel.I do not have the extension kit for the original one.

It was called Beta at the time because it was experimental.I have not checked the website recently to see if he is selling the larger Beta Super Peels as of yet.I believe they intended to after production came together.

Here are some pictures to show you the 2 peels.The original super peel sits on top.The Beta is on the bottom.The Beta is HUGE and I love it!

8)

« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 12:16:18 AM by chickenparm »
-Bill

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #54 on: July 24, 2011, 12:29:08 AM »
Thanks Bill, I already have some ideas on how to mod the extension kit to allow it to load 16" rounds.  I just need to make a new cardboard extension piece.  It should be an easy fix. 

Chau

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #55 on: July 24, 2011, 08:57:29 AM »
Oh, that first pie looks very nice!

Since you made the pizza for Scott and I, I'm assuming some frozen slices will be in the mail soon? ;D

That's a damn fine first go at the larger size in your oven.
"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #56 on: July 24, 2011, 09:16:32 AM »
Chau, would be interested in you trying a Totonno's style pie.

Ditch the shredded mozzarella. Add pieces of fresh mootza-rell like you did on that first pie you made, but place them first on the skin, add sauce, hit it with some pecorino-romano and a little drizzle of extra virgin.

Peep the video starting at 1:40 for a step by step of how it is made:

interesting is that the second pie taken out of the oven of the video appears to be burnt in places on the rim.

Totonno's makes simple and delicious pizzas. The pecorino can be a tad too heavy on some days, but I really like Totonno's. I wish "everyday" pizza was made much more like this than the bull dung 90% of retail joints are selling. Pah!

Chau, I'm willing to bet that your crust would be better than Totonno's, which can be a little dense in the crumb.

Give it a whirl one day if you think about it.

Here's a snap I took of our pie during my last visit to Totonno's. Half of the group I took with me were somewhat pizza newbies and could not fathom ordering just a plain pizza, so half is sausage. Amateurs  :-D
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 09:22:31 AM by pizzablogger »

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #57 on: July 24, 2011, 06:22:42 PM »
That pie looks really good to me Kelly.  Thanks for the youtube link.  The Totonn's style should be not be that hard to duplicate.  I was going to ask you if the sauce was spiced or not but that is covered in the video.  

I'm thinking a good thin NY style crust, fresh mootz, fresh sauce, a good helping of pecorino (or parm should be fine), EVOO, 4-5 minute bake, and viola!

I think I would get a better result in the WFO or even do smaller versions in the LBE, but if I don't have an excuse to fire up soon, I'll definitely do the home oven version next.   Thanks for the inspiration.

Chau
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 09:32:12 AM by Jackie Tran »

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #58 on: September 13, 2011, 10:46:28 PM »
I was baking in the LBE the other day and liked the dough, so I thought I would toss one in the home oven just to see what I would get.   This one is the same dough except it was made with starter and not CY.  Here's what I got...

Here are his LBE brothers...reply 140.  These were made with CY.
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13036.140.html

Offline chickenparm

• In Memoriam
« Reply #59 on: September 13, 2011, 11:36:20 PM »
That pizza is awesome.I would devour it if I had the chance!
 :-D

What cheese type did you use for this one in the home oven?

Thanks!

-Bill

-Bill

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #60 on: September 14, 2011, 08:30:27 PM »
That pizza is awesome.I would devour it if I had the chance!
 :-D

What cheese type did you use for this one in the home oven?

Thanks!

-Bill

Bill, it is a mix of Stella shredded mozz (SAMs) and my home made Polly O mozz, with a sprinkle of grated parm regiano.  There is also a swirl of EVOO on top.

Chau

Offline jjdec05

• The more I learn,the more I know how little I know
« Reply #61 on: September 18, 2011, 11:52:16 AM »
It's amazing how you can cook great pies in so many different ovens.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #62 on: December 10, 2011, 12:26:24 PM »
It's amazing how you can cook great pies in so many different ovens.

Thank you JJdec05.  I really try to simplify things in my mind when switching ovens.  I have to agree with what has been said before my numerous memebers.  Heat is heat and pizza doesn't care the source.   It does like even heating though. 

I baked up a couple of nice pies for breakfast this morning.  I wanted to bake last night but had to work late, so decided to have pizza for breakfast.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #63 on: December 10, 2011, 12:28:39 PM »
A few more pics of the first pie.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #64 on: December 10, 2011, 12:36:09 PM »
For the 2nd pie, I decide to try painting the rim with oil again.  I think member Glutenboy does this with his pies.  I'm sure there are many others out there doing the same.   I did like how the oil gave the crust a fried crusty texture.  The pie browned really quickly though so I'll have to lower my temps a bit next time. 

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #65 on: December 10, 2011, 12:37:33 PM »
a few more crumb shots of the 2nd pie and my notes for this bake.

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #66 on: December 10, 2011, 12:51:37 PM »
Chau, I'm not a fan of brushed outer crusts (being a stodgy traditionalist), but I would definitely demolish all of those pizzas!  :)

Pizza for breakfast sounds good here. Love seeing pizzas cooked in various ovens as well here....and love the notebook shot. Looking back over sometimes greasy pages of past efforts is one of the joys of this infectious disease.

Another delicious looking effort buddy. --K  :D

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #67 on: December 10, 2011, 01:49:31 PM »
Thanks Kelly and thank you for making my pizza look even better!

Chau

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #68 on: December 10, 2011, 01:55:05 PM »
I didn't make it look any better.....that's all you. I just made it look a little more like it did in actual life.

I imagine you used a flash on that shot? Cheese looks a little blown out perhaps.

Oh well.....important part is, again, that's all you my man. Any dips*&t can color correct on photoshop and I just happen to fill that roll very nicely....lol  ::)

parallei

« Reply #69 on: December 10, 2011, 02:09:04 PM »
Pretty pies Chau. :chef:

Offline chickenparm

• In Memoriam
« Reply #70 on: December 10, 2011, 05:25:48 PM »
Loved the brushed rim! Excellent crumb and rim rise as always.Love the color of the bottom of the crust,looks superb!
 8)
-Bill

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #71 on: December 10, 2011, 10:45:53 PM »
Thanks for the nice words gentlemen.  Kelly, first pic is with flash, 2nd one without.  I try to do both from time to time to show what the flash adds to or doesn't to a photo.  One of these days, I intend to make your life easier by getting a quality camera.

Bill, I enjoyed that crustiness the oil brought to the rim so much, I'm applying it to my baguettes tonight.  I hope they turn out well.  Scott123 are you reading this?  ;)

Chau
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 10:31:58 AM by Jackie Tran »

Offline chickenparm

• In Memoriam
« Reply #72 on: December 10, 2011, 11:07:56 PM »
Thanks for the nice words gentlemen.  Kelly, first pic is with flash, 2nd one without.  I try to do both from time to time to show he flash adds to or detracts from a photo.  One of these days, I intend to make your life easier by getting a quality camera.

Bill, I enjoyed that crustiness the oil brought to the rim so much, I'm applying it to my baguettes tonight.  I hope they turn out well.  Scott123 are you reading this?  ;)

Chau
8)

Do show some pics of the Baguettes! I love a crunchy,crispy rim bread or pizza. A nice bowl of sauce to dip it in is always a plus too!

-Bill

scott123

« Reply #73 on: December 11, 2011, 04:35:40 AM »
Bill, I enjoyed that crustiness the oil brought to the rim so much, I'm applying it to my baguettes tonight.  I hope they turn out well.  Scott123 are you reading this?  ;)

;D Yes, I'm reading it, although I don't think your baguettes are in a position to be improved upon.  I've been crafting an ode to your last batch of baguettes in my head for the last couple days and it's gotten so voluminous and unwieldy that I ended up dumbfounded. I was going to talk about accessibility, universality, tie in the history of bread with the history of pizza as well the way foods change as they travel the globe.  It was going to be epic. As I type this, I can't help but think about the Tenacious D song, Tribute.  In my mind, I wrote the greatest post in the world- this post is just a tribute to that one  >:D

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #74 on: December 11, 2011, 04:50:44 AM »
Scott if you decide to put that ode into a post I would certainly enjoy reading it.  Who knows I may even be enjoying a baguette while I read your ode to baguettes.  ;D

I did paint the baguettes tonight but the effect was not much different than my usual baguettes.  I think I may have ovetsteamed them though.  I'll definitely keep tinkering with it.