Author Topic: JT's home oven NY pies  (Read 12259 times)

Offline Jackie Tran

Re: JT's home oven NY pies
« Reply #60 on: September 14, 2011, 08:30:27 PM »
That pizza is awesome.I would devour it if I had the chance!
 :-D

What cheese type did you use for this one in the home oven?

Thanks!
 :)

-Bill

Bill, it is a mix of Stella shredded mozz (SAMs) and my home made Polly O mozz, with a sprinkle of grated parm regiano.  There is also a swirl of EVOO on top.

Chau

Offline jjdec05

• The more I learn,the more I know how little I know
« Reply #61 on: September 18, 2011, 11:52:16 AM »
It's amazing how you can cook great pies in so many different ovens.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #62 on: December 10, 2011, 12:26:24 PM »
It's amazing how you can cook great pies in so many different ovens.

Thank you JJdec05.  I really try to simplify things in my mind when switching ovens.  I have to agree with what has been said before my numerous memebers.  Heat is heat and pizza doesn't care the source.   It does like even heating though. 

I baked up a couple of nice pies for breakfast this morning.  I wanted to bake last night but had to work late, so decided to have pizza for breakfast.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #63 on: December 10, 2011, 12:28:39 PM »
A few more pics of the first pie.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #64 on: December 10, 2011, 12:36:09 PM »
For the 2nd pie, I decide to try painting the rim with oil again.  I think member Glutenboy does this with his pies.  I'm sure there are many others out there doing the same.   I did like how the oil gave the crust a fried crusty texture.  The pie browned really quickly though so I'll have to lower my temps a bit next time. 

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #65 on: December 10, 2011, 12:37:33 PM »
a few more crumb shots of the 2nd pie and my notes for this bake.

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #66 on: December 10, 2011, 12:51:37 PM »
Chau, I'm not a fan of brushed outer crusts (being a stodgy traditionalist), but I would definitely demolish all of those pizzas!  :)

Pizza for breakfast sounds good here. Love seeing pizzas cooked in various ovens as well here....and love the notebook shot. Looking back over sometimes greasy pages of past efforts is one of the joys of this infectious disease.

Another delicious looking effort buddy. --K  :D
"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #67 on: December 10, 2011, 01:49:31 PM »
Thanks Kelly and thank you for making my pizza look even better!

Chau

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #68 on: December 10, 2011, 01:55:05 PM »
I didn't make it look any better.....that's all you. I just made it look a little more like it did in actual life.

I imagine you used a flash on that shot? Cheese looks a little blown out perhaps.

Oh well.....important part is, again, that's all you my man. Any dips*&t can color correct on photoshop and I just happen to fill that roll very nicely....lol  ::)
"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

parallei

« Reply #69 on: December 10, 2011, 02:09:04 PM »
Pretty pies Chau. :chef:

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #70 on: December 10, 2011, 05:25:48 PM »
Loved the brushed rim! Excellent crumb and rim rise as always.Love the color of the bottom of the crust,looks superb!
 8)
-Bill

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #71 on: December 10, 2011, 10:45:53 PM »
Thanks for the nice words gentlemen.  Kelly, first pic is with flash, 2nd one without.  I try to do both from time to time to show what the flash adds to or doesn't to a photo.  One of these days, I intend to make your life easier by getting a quality camera.

Bill, I enjoyed that crustiness the oil brought to the rim so much, I'm applying it to my baguettes tonight.  I hope they turn out well.  Scott123 are you reading this?  ;)

Chau
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 10:31:58 AM by Jackie Tran »

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #72 on: December 10, 2011, 11:07:56 PM »
Thanks for the nice words gentlemen.  Kelly, first pic is with flash, 2nd one without.  I try to do both from time to time to show he flash adds to or detracts from a photo.  One of these days, I intend to make your life easier by getting a quality camera.

Bill, I enjoyed that crustiness the oil brought to the rim so much, I'm applying it to my baguettes tonight.  I hope they turn out well.  Scott123 are you reading this?  ;)

Chau
8)

Do show some pics of the Baguettes! I love a crunchy,crispy rim bread or pizza. A nice bowl of sauce to dip it in is always a plus too!

-Bill

scott123

« Reply #73 on: December 11, 2011, 04:35:40 AM »
Bill, I enjoyed that crustiness the oil brought to the rim so much, I'm applying it to my baguettes tonight.  I hope they turn out well.  Scott123 are you reading this?  ;)

;D Yes, I'm reading it, although I don't think your baguettes are in a position to be improved upon.  I've been crafting an ode to your last batch of baguettes in my head for the last couple days and it's gotten so voluminous and unwieldy that I ended up dumbfounded. I was going to talk about accessibility, universality, tie in the history of bread with the history of pizza as well the way foods change as they travel the globe.  It was going to be epic. As I type this, I can't help but think about the Tenacious D song, Tribute.  In my mind, I wrote the greatest post in the world- this post is just a tribute to that one  >:D

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #74 on: December 11, 2011, 04:50:44 AM »
Scott if you decide to put that ode into a post I would certainly enjoy reading it.  Who knows I may even be enjoying a baguette while I read your ode to baguettes.  ;D

I did paint the baguettes tonight but the effect was not much different than my usual baguettes.  I think I may have ovetsteamed them though.  I'll definitely keep tinkering with it.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #75 on: May 18, 2013, 09:06:24 PM »
Did a semi decent bake today in the home oven.  Found out that I prefer 2% shortening over 3%.  I also left sugar outbof this formulation to prevent premature browning as I like a crispy pizza but I think the crust ended up on the light side.  So next time maybe 1% sugar back in the mix.  I also skimped on the bench flour on the 2nd pie, it stuck to the peel, and I was forced to make a calzone.  It ate really well. 

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #76 on: May 18, 2013, 10:25:28 PM »
Chau, I would love to eat a Calzone that looked like yours.  :drool:
Are you not familiar yet with the "Bob Bump" technique? Just before launching give that peel a 'lil bump against your backsplash/wall...if she moves you're golden; if she don't you are eating Calzone tonight.   8)
Which in your case..."is a good thing."  ;D

Bob

"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #77 on: May 19, 2013, 03:51:29 AM »
Looks great Chau. How was the taste with the added shortening? And the bake time?

John

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #78 on: May 19, 2013, 11:41:07 AM »
Thanks Bob and John.  Bob, I typically don't have problems getting the pie off the peel in once nice motion.  I also give it a shake prior to loading it.  The issue with this one, was that I purposely use less bench flour b/c I had painted the ball with oil during cold fermentation.  So I didn't like how excess bench flour was caking on the first ball of dough.  I used too little bench on the 2nd ball and it stuck only in a few spots on the peel.  Those few spots were enough for me to just push forward with the calzone and not take chances of losing pizza in the oven and having to clean up the mess.  :-D  It was a good decision to go the calzone route.   ;D

Jon, I've switched to using shortening instead of oil in my NY doughs awhile back and haven't looked back since.  I did 3-4 side by side comparisons where the type of fat was the oil thing different.  Everytime, the shortening pies won out for me.  It's probably less about the taste, than the texture.  It just gives the crust and crumb a slightly drier more biscuity texture.  It's not biscuity or biscuit like but it leans that way if that makes sense.   The bake time was around 5-6 minutes.  I was tempted to leave it longer to get a darker rim but didn't want the cheese to dry out.   If I had Grande, it wouldn't have been a problem but I was using Stella. 

Chau

Offline slybarman

« Reply #79 on: May 20, 2013, 12:04:49 PM »
The structure you get in your crusts is really amazing.