Author Topic: JT's home oven NY pies  (Read 14551 times)

Online Jackie Tran

Re: JT's home oven NY pies
« Reply #75 on: May 18, 2013, 09:06:24 PM »
Did a semi decent bake today in the home oven.  Found out that I prefer 2% shortening over 3%.  I also left sugar outbof this formulation to prevent premature browning as I like a crispy pizza but I think the crust ended up on the light side.  So next time maybe 1% sugar back in the mix.  I also skimped on the bench flour on the 2nd pie, it stuck to the peel, and I was forced to make a calzone.  It ate really well. 

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #76 on: May 18, 2013, 10:25:28 PM »
Chau, I would love to eat a Calzone that looked like yours.  :drool:
Are you not familiar yet with the "Bob Bump" technique? Just before launching give that peel a 'lil bump against your backsplash/wall...if she moves you're golden; if she don't you are eating Calzone tonight.   8)
Which in your case..."is a good thing."  ;D

Bob

"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #77 on: May 19, 2013, 03:51:29 AM »
Looks great Chau. How was the taste with the added shortening? And the bake time?

John

Online Jackie Tran

« Reply #78 on: May 19, 2013, 11:41:07 AM »
Thanks Bob and John.  Bob, I typically don't have problems getting the pie off the peel in once nice motion.  I also give it a shake prior to loading it.  The issue with this one, was that I purposely use less bench flour b/c I had painted the ball with oil during cold fermentation.  So I didn't like how excess bench flour was caking on the first ball of dough.  I used too little bench on the 2nd ball and it stuck only in a few spots on the peel.  Those few spots were enough for me to just push forward with the calzone and not take chances of losing pizza in the oven and having to clean up the mess.  :-D  It was a good decision to go the calzone route.   ;D

Jon, I've switched to using shortening instead of oil in my NY doughs awhile back and haven't looked back since.  I did 3-4 side by side comparisons where the type of fat was the oil thing different.  Everytime, the shortening pies won out for me.  It's probably less about the taste, than the texture.  It just gives the crust and crumb a slightly drier more biscuity texture.  It's not biscuity or biscuit like but it leans that way if that makes sense.   The bake time was around 5-6 minutes.  I was tempted to leave it longer to get a darker rim but didn't want the cheese to dry out.   If I had Grande, it wouldn't have been a problem but I was using Stella. 

Chau

Offline slybarman

« Reply #79 on: May 20, 2013, 12:04:49 PM »
The structure you get in your crusts is really amazing.

Online Jackie Tran

« Reply #80 on: May 20, 2013, 01:31:14 PM »
Thanks Sly, I always try to shoot for an open crumb with a soft texture and a crispy exterior.  The crispier the better. 

Offline slybarman

« Reply #81 on: May 20, 2013, 01:43:25 PM »
Mission accomplished.

Offline redox

« Reply #82 on: June 08, 2013, 07:44:53 PM »
The next time I go to the Museum of Art I will look for murals of your pizzas hanging on the wall. Stunning! :drool:

pizzapan