Author Topic: Still chasing down that NY Pie  (Read 9249 times)

Offline jever4321

Still chasing down that NY Pie
« on: May 04, 2011, 11:31:38 PM »
My latest go round eventually led me to re-visit the pizza screen. What I gave up in oven spring (which is pretty dramatic) I made up in less launching anxiety, and less mess (bench flour in my oven). Minimal knead 24 hour ferment. 550 degree oven preheated for 1 hour. Pizza cooked in about 7 minutes. In my previous screen attempt I didn't season the screen and the pizza welded itself to the screen. This time I took the advise I have seen several times here and sprayed the screen down with olive oil and put it in my grill for about 30 minutes. It was a caramel brown color. I cooked the pizza about 4 minutes on the screen directly on my 550 degree soapstone then removed the screen to finish it off directly on the stone. It was thin and crispy. Cheese was Whole Foods whole milk mozzarella and a splash of Belgioso aged sharp provolone. The cheese combo was a huge winner in my opinion.

Flour(100%)  1028.45g
Water(63%)  647.92g
ADY(.45%)    4.63g
Salt(1%)       10.28g
Oil(1%)         10.28g
Sugar(1.5%)  15.43g
Total(166.95%) 1717g
Single ball         429.25g
4 -16" pizza

Pics to follow
-Jay

Offline jever4321

Re: Still chasing down that NY Pie
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 12:03:15 AM »
Pics,
-Jay

Offline jever4321

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 12:19:00 AM »
I'm having some re-sizing issues.. >:(
-Jay

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 12:22:11 AM »
Man,that Pizza is looking really good right there!Nice Job!
 :pizza:

I use screens myself at times...I always spray a light coat of oil onto the screen anytime I use it.
Since we don't use screens on a commercial level,where its 25-50 pies a night,a little spray helps every time.
No worries about smoke and seasoning the screens for home use. :)

-Bill

Offline jever4321

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 12:27:31 AM »
Thanks Bill. Here are some more pics.
-Jay

Offline jever4321

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 12:28:39 AM »
Last 3
-Jay

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 12:36:21 AM »
Jever those slices look good.  Wish I had me a few right now.   :chef:

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 12:37:14 AM »
Jay,
Those are fantastic slices!I would love to try some right now!

That said,I wanted to let you know,I stopped using them serving pans.They make the pizza steam and soggy on the bottom for me if they sit too long.So,I remove the pie from the oven and place on a screen on the countertop to cool off a minute.

Then I remove the pie off the screen, onto the counter and cut up into slices,then put the slices back onto the screen.

Do you have the same trouble with the flat serving pans making the pizza steam and soggy on the crust?

I no longer use them and my wife bakes cookies on the serving pans now.

:)

-Bill

Offline jever4321

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2011, 12:39:31 AM »
Jever those slices look good.  Wish I had me a few right now.   :chef:

Thanks Chau & Bill, It was a pretty tasty lunch today. I really like looking at everyones pictures on this site so I thought I would contribute.  :)
-Jay

Offline jever4321

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2011, 12:45:29 AM »
Jay,
Those are fantastic slices!I would love to try some right now!

That said,I wanted to let you know,I stopped using them serving pans.They make the pizza steam and soggy on the bottom for me if they sit too long.So,I remove the pie from the oven and place on a screen on the countertop to cool off a minute.

Then I remove the pie off the screen, onto the counter and cut up into slices,then put the slices back onto the screen.

Do you have the same trouble with the flat serving pans making the pizza steam and soggy on the crust?

I no longer use them and my wife bakes cookies on the serving pans now.

:)

I haven't really noticed the pizza getting soggy from the serving round, probably because we shovel the pizza down so fast in my family. :-D
-Jay

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2011, 12:49:49 AM »
okay call me crazy.  I just found a doughball in the fridge I forgot from last week! It has black specks on the top but the dough still looks viable and doesn't look overblown.  I haven't seen the black specks before but I know I have read about it in the past so I'm not too worried.  So it's almost 11pm here.  Guess what I'm having before bedtime?   :-D

Offline jever4321

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2011, 08:28:08 AM »
okay call me crazy.  I just found a doughball in the fridge I forgot from last week! It has black specks on the top but the dough still looks viable and doesn't look overblown.  I haven't seen the black specks before but I know I have read about it in the past so I'm not too worried.  So it's almost 11pm here.  Guess what I'm having before bedtime?   :-D
How did it turn out?
-Jay

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2011, 09:31:06 AM »
Jay,

Your NY pie looks just like a NY street pie.  Great job!  :)

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2011, 10:28:46 AM »
How did it turn out?

It turned out to be one of my top pies.  It was great!  I posted about it here.  reply #113

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13036.100.html

Chau

Offline PizzaHog

• Heat matters!
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2011, 10:51:00 AM »
Nice pie J, looks as much NY as the Empire State building!
I happened just last week to taste some Belgioso aged sharp provolone.  This was at a rest supply so no idea of how long it may have been "aging" there, but wow, it was really sharp and even had a burning sensation in the mouth quality.  Is this your experience with it?  I passed, but if this is normal and you are liking it blended, I will pick some up and try it.
Hog

Offline jever4321

« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2011, 11:05:12 AM »
Thanks for the nice words Norma and Hog,

The Belgioso aged sharp provolone is pretty sharp, almost to the point that it tasted similar to pecorino and romano, which I usually put on before the mozzarella. Since the provolone was that sharp, I left the PR out. I really like the Whole foods, whole milk Mozz. and I just tossed a small amount of provolone, maybe just shy of 10% provolone 90% whole milk mozz. That cheese combo seemed to produce the closest reproduction to NY cheese I have ever come close to in my oven.
-Jay

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2011, 03:17:37 PM »
I need to pick up some of those types of cheeses.Always looking to try a blend to give the pie a nice boost in the taste department.Just seems like all we have in our stores are Kraft products more than anything.
Some of the good stuff is hard to find.
 :-\

-Bill

Offline jever4321

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2011, 11:33:31 AM »
I was wondering last night, when I was thinking about cooking on the screen I had a bit more burning on the bottom. I wouldn't call it charing. I think it was the olive oil I sprayed on the screen that burned on the bottom of the dough. Should I try one without using oil? I'm way nervous it will stick. The other 3 dough balls are going to be baked tonight for friends.
-Jay

Offline jever4321

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2011, 11:45:22 AM »
I just came across these photo's and realized I have come a long way. Here are pics of my first couple of attempts at home pizza making. It was about 1 year ago.  Actually May 21, 2010
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 12:32:25 PM by jever4321 »
-Jay

Offline jever4321

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2011, 11:47:10 AM »
The pictures don't do justice to how awful those two pizza's tasted. I almost quit after those... 8)
-Jay