Author Topic: Still chasing down that NY Pie  (Read 9088 times)

Offline jever4321

Re: Still chasing down that NY Pie
« Reply #100 on: April 18, 2012, 01:06:26 PM »
Thanks guys! They were pretty tasty. The crumb shot was probably the best I've ever produced. Sometimes I feel like I get pretty good spring but when I cut it it never shows up very well, or it's like my slicer crushes the rim.  Do you sharpen your slicers?
-Jay

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #101 on: April 18, 2012, 01:19:56 PM »
I have started getting really interested in NY pies lately and love to follow peoples threads. Your pies look delicious.

Offline jever4321

« Reply #102 on: April 18, 2012, 01:34:55 PM »
I have started getting really interested in NY pies lately and love to follow peoples threads. Your pies look delicious.
Thanks man,  I caught your NY experiment thread. You put together a good looking pie as well. I have a lot of fun making pizza & I garner a bunch of inspiration from this site, so I'm glad to share.
-Jay

Offline jever4321

« Reply #103 on: April 18, 2012, 09:40:37 PM »
I forgot to mention my latest cheese blend that I've been enjoying. I've been stuck on GFS Primo Gusto preshreaded mozzarella and provolone blend, then I throw on some asiago chunks here and there. It's been getting top marks from the family and the neighbors. The small batch sauce I've been making is super easy. The Giant Eagle I use carries jars of Cento San Marzano crushed tomatos. I just add a tablespoon of sugar, a teaspoon of salt and a squirt or two of basil purée, then I hit it with a stick blender. If its too thick I add a few ounces of water. Then I taste it and make adjustments as needed.
-Jay

Offline Malanga

« Reply #104 on: April 18, 2012, 11:06:42 PM »
Giant Eagle?  Whereabouts are you?  I'm stuck in Erie, PA... but I love my Giant Eagle!   ;D

Anyhow, your pizzas looks amazing Jever!  Really kicking out some professional looking stuff there!  Keep it going and keep the pics coming.  You're firing me up to attempt NY style (regardless of oven limitations). 

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #105 on: April 19, 2012, 08:30:40 AM »
Thanks guys! They were pretty tasty. The crumb shot was probably the best I've ever produced. Sometimes I feel like I get pretty good spring but when I cut it it never shows up very well, or it's like my slicer crushes the rim.  Do you sharpen your slicers?

Jay, When you find a spot where you want to see the crumb, just cut carefully with a pair of scissors, then finish cutting with your wheel.

Offline atom

« Reply #106 on: April 20, 2012, 12:27:09 PM »
I miss my Giant Eagle back from when I lived in Pittsburgh. At the time I thought they were overpriced \ over rated but these days now that I am into pizza making and cooking in general I wish my super markets had those kinds of ingredients they carried. I also remember walking into Penn Mac and saying to myself "who on earth would spend their money on this kind of crap? Its just a bunch of cheese!"

Offline jever4321

« Reply #107 on: April 20, 2012, 03:15:54 PM »
Thanks for the kind words and the tip about slicing the crust with scissors! Ill definitely give that a shot. I live on the Nortwest side of Columbus OH, in a town called Dublin. It's either Giant Eagle or Kroger in these parts.
-Jay

Offline jever4321

« Reply #108 on: June 16, 2014, 09:45:31 PM »
Hi everyone,  it's been a while....  I bought a new toy from my local restaurant equippers.  It runs on 220v and gets pretty hot (around 700 degrees). It's been a lot of fun playing with it!
-Jay

Offline jever4321

« Reply #109 on: June 16, 2014, 09:48:26 PM »
And here's what came out!
-Jay

Offline jever4321

« Reply #110 on: June 16, 2014, 09:49:33 PM »
Bought a slick little rack too.
-Jay

Offline woodmakesitgood

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #111 on: June 16, 2014, 10:03:56 PM »
Hi everyone,  it's been a while....  I bought a new toy from my local restaurant equippers.  It runs on 220v and gets pretty hot (around 700 degrees). It's been a lot of fun playing with it!

Cool, did you have a 220v line installed in the garage for it?

Offline jever4321

« Reply #112 on: June 16, 2014, 10:08:50 PM »
Cool, did you have a 220v line installed in the garage for it?
I had one in the garage already for my table saw, and that's where I used it the first few bakes. I got tired of that though so I had an electrician add an outlet in my 4 season room right off my kitchen.
-Jay

Offline jever4321

« Reply #113 on: July 06, 2014, 10:48:53 PM »
Made some pie this weekend. I Actually like the Bonta pizza sauce. I diluted it 2.5 to 1 with water. Then I added sugar, salt and basil, and topped it with grande 50/50. Turned out pretty good.
-Jay

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #114 on: July 06, 2014, 11:11:14 PM »
Hey I saw your making some pizzas again. I saw I was one of the most recent posters in this thread at the top, back in 2012! Cool new toy. Just saw it for the first time now.

pizzapan