Author Topic: Still chasing down that NY Pie  (Read 9076 times)

Offline Jackie Tran

Re: Still chasing down that NY Pie
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2011, 12:09:38 PM »
The pictures don't do justice to how awful those two pizza's tasted. I almost quit after those... 8)

Haha they look like my first pies.

Offline jever4321

« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2011, 12:27:04 PM »
Haha they look like my first pies.

Well you have certainly come a long way too my friend.

I'm glad I didn't quit, I'm having some fun with it now. The first couple of months were rough. I felt like I had to defend myself against my wife. Maybe defend is the wrong word, more like justify my addiction.. I found small success in the 11th hour.  ;D
-Jay

Offline jever4321

« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2011, 01:24:18 PM »
Here was one of the best pies I ever made. It was in December '10
-Jay

Offline Darth Pizza

« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2011, 02:48:05 PM »
looks great. does the sauce taste NY style? and what recipe did you use for the sauce? :pizza:
May the crust be with you...

Offline plainslicer

« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2011, 02:55:00 PM »
Great-looking pizza!

Offline jever4321

« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2011, 04:33:56 PM »
Thanks DarthPizza, and Plainslicer,

I usually make my own sauce without following a recipe. I just saute 2-3 cloves of garlic in olive oil until slightly golden, then add crushed tomatoes, salt, sugar, and a sprinkle of oregano and basil. Taste and add whatever. Keep it light and sweet. If you can find 6-1 crushed in heavy pure, I would recommend trying it straight out of the can. It's pretty close because it doesn't contain citric acid. May have to add a little salt and a dash of sugar.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 05:06:19 PM by jever4321 »
-Jay

Offline jever4321

« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2011, 10:38:34 PM »
Baked the rest of the pies tonight for company. It was hard to take pictures without looking like a dork, so I could only sneak a few.
-Jay

Offline jever4321

« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2011, 10:39:28 PM »
More
-Jay

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2011, 10:53:44 PM »
Nice work there! Looks perfect to me!
I also loved the pie you posted you made some time back as well.
 :pizza:

Btw,I know what you mean about taking pics.No one understands and won't get it anyway when they see you doing that.When I make pies at home,take pics,and the kids are watching,they look at me like ,"Daddy,did you lose your mind or something?"

:-D
-Bill

Offline Darth Pizza

« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2011, 11:38:00 PM »
thanks, yea, ive been reading up on the 6-1's. im gonna order them monday on theyre site.

Offline jever4321

« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2011, 09:36:00 AM »
Nice work there! Looks perfect to me!
I also loved the pie you posted you made some time back as well.
 :pizza:

Btw,I know what you mean about taking pics.No one understands and won't get it anyway when they see you doing that.When I make pies at home,take pics,and the kids are watching,they look at me like ,"Daddy,did you lose your mind or something?"

:-D

Exactly, I get that, " you're such a nerd" look. :-D
-Jay

Offline jever4321

« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2011, 09:38:10 AM »
thanks, yea, ive been reading up on the 6-1's. im gonna order them monday on theyre site.
If you have a GFS Marketplace anywhere near you, they might carry the big cans of 6-1. The GFS near me does stock it.
-Jay

Offline jever4321

« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2011, 11:58:49 AM »
I got a bag of the good stuff from my brother in law who is a salesman for GFS. Dough is in the fridge and I am planning on baking some pie on Thursday. Pictures forthcoming.
-Jay

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2011, 05:12:19 PM »
I got a bag of the good stuff from my brother in law who is a salesman for GFS.

Is that a one-time-only hook-up, or is he now your regular source?

Offline jever4321

« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2011, 07:25:21 PM »
Is that a one-time-only hook-up, or is he now your regular source?
He said he would hook me up whenever I need more, but I don't want to keep bothering him for good cheese. I actually have been liking the Belgioso aged provolone, and Whole foods whole milk mozz blend so when the Grande is gone I will probably revert back.
-Jay

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2011, 09:02:48 PM »
Sweet!  I can't find any whole milk mozz pre-grated at all.

On taking pictures, my friends know I am a geek already.  They EXPECT weird things like taking pictures of pizza from me.

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2011, 09:11:18 PM »
Jay,
I would love to try that cheese.I was at GFS today to pick up some supplies,and I got a large brick of whole milk mozz for 14 bucks.Its a GFS label brand but its decent cheese for the moola.

I never see grande there though...they do sell the Primo Gusto cheese in the bags.I may try that sometimes,since I have purchased Primo Italian style meatballs,their dough and some other primo brands.They are usually decent quality.

We also bought a 10 lb box of pork crumble pizza topping or sausage for the pizza from GFS made by primo gusto.It was 24 bucks but I think its worth it.Its kept frozen so will last a very long time.A little over 2 something a lb is a good price since its ready to go and precooked.Better than paying 3-4 bucks for 8 ounces of crap in a local food store.

My wife(and myself at times) loves sausage pizza and I think this stuff is one of the better ones out there for a pizza topping.

:)

-Bill

Offline jever4321

« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2011, 07:56:27 AM »
Sweet!  I can't find any whole milk mozz pre-grated at all.

On taking pictures, my friends know I am a geek already.  They EXPECT weird things like taking pictures of pizza from me.
It's great to have friends that understand. I think my pizza is getting to the point that they wont care about me taking pictures, as long as I keep inviting them over for it. ;D

I've used this diced Grande whole milk mozz before with pretty good success.
-Jay

Offline jever4321

« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2011, 08:04:46 AM »
Jay,
I would love to try that cheese.I was at GFS today to pick up some supplies,and I got a large brick of whole milk mozz for 14 bucks.Its a GFS label brand but its decent cheese for the moola.

I never see grande there though...they do sell the Primo Gusto cheese in the bags.I may try that sometimes,since I have purchased Primo Italian style meatballs,their dough and some other primo brands.They are usually decent quality.

We also bought a 10 lb box of pork crumble pizza topping or sausage for the pizza from GFS made by primo gusto.It was 24 bucks but I think its worth it.Its kept frozen so will last a very long time.A little over 2 something a lb is a good price since its ready to go and precooked.Better than paying 3-4 bucks for 8 ounces of crap in a local food store.

My wife(and myself at times) loves sausage pizza and I think this stuff is one of the better ones out there for a pizza topping.

:)

I have lucked out before and found 2 bags of Grande 50/50 in the fridge at my local GFS. They had me all excited because they had a sticker on the bags that said “New Item” as if they were going to start carrying it full time, but that wasn’t the case at all. They only sell Grande by the case which I think is 6 – 5lb bags for around $110. My brother-in-law said the GFS brand you bought is a pretty good alternative to Grande. Thanks for the tip on the sausage. I’ll have to try that out sometime.  I’m the only one in the family that eats it which means I never get to use it.
-Jay

Offline Darth Pizza

« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2011, 02:03:24 PM »
cool, i didnt know that was a good cheese. they sell it here online. im gonna get some soon. waiting on some cash..
check out the "East Coast" blend. whats in that? sounds like a NY blend. i enlarged the pic. looks like 12% skim, rest whole. cant read it fully though.
http://www.pennmac.com/page/27/
hey they got Polly-O there too. is that better than Grande?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 02:09:07 PM by Darth Pizza »

pizzapan