Author Topic: Still chasing down that NY Pie  (Read 9419 times)

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Still chasing down that NY Pie
« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2011, 02:26:41 PM »
check out the "East Coast" blend. whats in that? sounds like a NY blend. i enlarged the pic. looks like 12% skim, rest whole. cant read it fully though.

Darth Pizza,

You can see the details on the Grande East Coast blend, including the product specs, at http://www.grandecheese.com/products/Pages/ProductGroup.aspx?Level=1&ProductGroupID=1&ProductCategoryID=3&ProductSubCategoryID=17.

Peter

Online tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2011, 02:32:25 PM »
I have read that it isn't good to buy pre-shredded cheese because they use a substance to keep it from clumping back together that produces a different (and inferior) look to the finished pizza when compared with freshly shredded mozzarella from a block. Any truth to that? 

Also,  Darth Pizza, I have used Polly-O whole milk several times and it is really good mozzarella. 

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2011, 02:43:24 PM »
I have read that it isn't good to buy pre-shredded cheese because they use a substance to keep it from clumping back together that produces a different (and inferior) look to the finished pizza when compared with freshly shredded mozzarella from a block. Any truth to that?  

Grande doesn't do that. (That is, they don't add anti-clumping stuff to their shredded/diced cheese.) I think most other brands do it, but not Grande.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 02:45:14 PM by AimlessRyan »

Offline Darth Pizza

« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2011, 02:45:35 PM »
Darth Pizza,

You can see the details on the Grande East Coast blend, including the product specs, at http://www.grandecheese.com/products/Pages/ProductGroup.aspx?Level=1&ProductGroupID=1&ProductCategoryID=3&ProductSubCategoryID=17.

Peter
oh ok, its a 50/50 blend. is that blend better for NY style than 100% whole milk?
May the crust be with you...

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2011, 12:20:32 AM »
Jay,

I really loved the pizza in the photo,reply 22,you made sometime back and late last night I made something a little similar.I called it the Jay Pie,since I wanted to clone it from the photo somewhat.I still say yours looks better and more well done.

This pie was pulled out of the oven about a minute or so early since my daughter woke up and I had to get her to go back to bed.I prefer more well done pies...but this was still really good as well!

Here is a picture...

-Bill

Offline jever4321

« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2011, 07:35:13 AM »
Jay,

I really loved the pizza in the photo,reply 22,you made sometime back and late last night I made something a little similar.I called it the Jay Pie,since I wanted to clone it from the photo somewhat.I still say yours looks better and more well done.

This pie was pulled out of the oven about a minute or so early since my daughter woke up and I had to get her to go back to bed.I prefer more well done pies...but this was still really good as well!

Here is a picture...

Wow Bill I'm flattered, Thank you for the compliment. I think yours looks AWESOME! Keep up the great work!

I found that when I leave spaces between the cheese my pizza comes out crispier. I'm guessing that the cheese traps the steam a little bit. Sometimes I make an anchovy pizza with just light sauce, anchovy and a sprinkle of pecorino/romano, and it's always my best pie because it's super crispy.

I'll be baking up 3 pies tonight. I can't wait!
-Jay

Offline jever4321

« Reply #46 on: May 12, 2011, 10:32:43 PM »
We wound up inviting the neighbors over so I couldn't get pictures of the first three pies which all looked better than the last one (the only one I got pictures of). Go figure.
-Jay

Offline jever4321

« Reply #47 on: May 12, 2011, 10:35:58 PM »
-Jay

Offline jever4321

« Reply #48 on: May 12, 2011, 10:42:38 PM »
-Jay

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2011, 12:11:20 AM »
Those are awesome Jay! Would love a pie for myself! Keep up the great work!
 :pizza:
-Bill

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2011, 02:21:37 AM »
Jay, that pie looks pretty dang good to me.   :chef:

Chau

Offline jever4321

« Reply #51 on: May 13, 2011, 07:43:42 AM »
Thanks Bill and Chau. That pie started smoking at the 2 minute mark because a HUGE bubble formed and hit the broiler element. :o I popped the bubble and added some more cheese in that spot it kind of looks like a fresh mozzarella spot. Also, I have been spraying olive oil on the screens before I put the dough on them, so by the 4th pizza the stone was kind of greasy. I think I will try to do one without spraying the screen with oil next time. Does anyone think that's a bad idea?
-Jay

Online tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #52 on: May 13, 2011, 09:44:53 AM »
Perfect. Looks like something you would see in one of the better NYC slice joints. 

Well done!

Tin Roof

Offline jever4321

« Reply #53 on: May 13, 2011, 11:22:32 AM »
Perfect. Looks like something you would see in one of the better NYC slice joints. 

Well done!

Tin Roof
Thank you Tin Roof, I appreciate it. ;)
-Jay

Offline tscaife

« Reply #54 on: May 13, 2011, 11:32:40 AM »
That looks great!

Offline jever4321

« Reply #55 on: May 13, 2011, 11:38:55 AM »
Thanks tscaife!

I bought some 6-1 in the BIG can, from GFS. It cost about the same as the little can at Giant Eagle. Big can = 6lb-9oz - $5.29, little can = 1lb-12oz $4.89.
-Jay

Offline jever4321

« Reply #56 on: May 13, 2011, 11:46:35 AM »
Escalon is the brand that makes the 6-1 crushed that I like. They had another product sitting right next to 6-1 on the shelf called Bonta pizza sauce with basil. It says "high yield" and "extra sweet" also 6lb - 11oz, and cost $6.99. Ingreedients - Vine-ripened tomatoes, salt, and basil. (NO citric acid). I'm excited to see how it is.
-Jay

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #57 on: May 13, 2011, 01:55:03 PM »
You do not have to spray the screens every single time.If you prefer to,do it lightly and dry the back side off of any oil.You can also lay the screen on top of paper towels,spray the screen and let the excess oil get picked up by the paper underneath.
-Bill

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #58 on: May 13, 2011, 04:35:17 PM »
I think I will try to do one without spraying the screen with oil next time. Does anyone think that's a bad idea?

I was shocked to realize you still bake on screens.

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #59 on: May 13, 2011, 06:24:06 PM »
I was shocked to realize you still bake on screens.

You can still make decent pies using them.I use a screen for my 18 inch pies since my stone is only 15 inch around.I also place the screen right on top of the stone when cooking.Have not had any trouble doing so.

I would say the difference is not that much,the pies on the screen are a little bit softer or not as crispy as the one cooked straight onto the stone.Not a problem for doing NY street style slices.
 :)
-Bill