Author Topic: preparing pizza sausage  (Read 3332 times)

Offline princeofdorkness

preparing pizza sausage
« on: March 17, 2011, 10:22:48 AM »
Does anyone out there know how frozen pizza manufacturers and the like fully pre-cook their sausage? My current pizza style and/or oven, whatever the culprit, won't allow me to apply the sausage raw. Any of my efforts to pre-cook the sausage thus far have failed miserably. I would like a fully pre-cooked chunk style sausage that is not charred and withered on the outside, yet browned throughout. I've aborted any pan frying efforts. Lately I've been trying various combinations of bake/broil at various temps, again with unsatisfactory results. I'm not sure what else to try. Boiling? It might be helpful to mention that I am using a ground sausage, not links. Any suggestions?

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
Re: preparing pizza sausage
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 10:56:47 AM »
I grind my own fennel sausage in my KA mixer. It's way cheaper than buying pre-made italian sausage.

After grinding, I roll it into 1 lb logs and wrap the logs tightly in 2 layers of cling wrap. I then poach it in hot 160F-180F (not boiling) water for an hour or two, until it's fully cooked through. Refrigerate, or freeze for later use.

Sorry, not browned, but fully cooked and tender.

When it's time to use it, I break off small chunks and top my pizza, where the chunks will brown.
Sono venuto, ho visto, ho mangiato

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 11:59:09 AM »
I put about 1/4" EVOO, crushed fennel, and onions in a pan, then hand tear the fresh Italian sausage into marble size chunks.  I stir them and cook them for about 3-5 minutes, until they are lightly browned and about 80% done.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 08:42:39 PM »
Most manufacturers of frozen pizza (and many pizza places) use a fully cooked sausage product from a manufacturer like Hormel. Genrerally, these folks use a big conveyor microwave oven to cook the sausage.

Craig
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Guts

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 10:05:57 PM »
Guts/AKA/Kim
"Vegetarian - old Indian word for bad fisherman"

Offline princeofdorkness

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2011, 10:07:59 PM »
Mmmph....By wrapping the ground sausage and then poaching, I suppose it could be said, you are essentially simulating a sausage link in it's casing. I find that approach convenient because I always divide the sausage into single pizza serving sizes inside sandwich baggies. I might have to give that a shot, only I'm a little worried that my dollar store baggies won't hold up to the task.

Tscarborough....For health reasons, I've been trying to get away with using cooking spray. I can see how silly I've been now, perhaps a "healthy" dose of olive oil is exactly what the doctor ordered.

TXCraig1....I was entertaining the idea of using a conveyor oven. You say conveyor microwave oven. I wonder if a conventional conveyor oven would work equally as well. Do you think the drippings might create a problem?

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2011, 10:12:02 PM »
I would try a regular microwave oven first.

Craig
Pizza is not bread.

Offline scoop40

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2011, 12:08:17 PM »
I pan cook my sausage just until it is starts getting brown then I add
enough HOT water to cover the bottom of the pan and turn the heat
up as high as it will go and cover for 3-5 minutes, then remove the lid
and let the water boil off, dump the cooked sausage onto some paper
towels then let cool and put in the fridge or freezer. works great for me.

Offline DonC

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2011, 04:43:38 PM »
I'm stingy so I usually pre-cook my sausage and/or burger on some foil on my oven's unglazed tile while it's heating up for my pizza anyway.It cooks slowly(unless I wait till it's 500F) and I just check it occasionally while I'm getting everything else ready for my pizza.I hate to use the power to heat my oven to 500 for a while anyway so it makes me feel better to not use a cooktop burner also LOL.