Author Topic: restauraunt supply binge for home/Cheese for my best pie ever.  (Read 2661 times)

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
I found it tough to live without the forum last night.  This is a sickness. To make up for my withdrawal I went toy shopping today at the restaurant supply store.  16 in peel, huge tub/bucket big enough for a full size bag of caputo, a super thick 1/2 sheet pan for Sicilian, 10 inch pans with raised edges for personal size Greek pizza (what my wife grew up with). 16 inch flat pizza pans for serving/cutting, full size plastic proofing tray for room temp rise party batches, individual stacking proofing tins for fridge rise, new pizza cutter, dough scraper/cutter,  huge plastic squeeze bottle for my creamy pesto or garlic-basil oil sauce, 12 quart plastic container for blending large batches of cheese/sauce. All for $105 dollars.  John Kritikos was such a nice man and we had a blast talking pizza, good feta cheese,  and his home country of Greece.  Please call him for anything pro pizza or kitchen related.  He even had these really cool mini 12 and16 quart spiral mixers starting in the $1300 range new. Mini pizza ovens.  I don't know if he shipps, but it is worth a try.  This place had better prices than I have found on line.  His number is 617-630-9797,

I then stopped at "Fresh Cheese" and picked up goods for what ended up being the best pizza I have ever made.  Their fresh mozarella is made daily and held up in an 800 degree oven really well.  I never ceases to amaze me how TOTALLY different fresh mozzarella tastes after it has been salted, oiled, and baked.  Neapolitan heaven today. I just dried it with a paper towl, and it was perfect. They also sell 1 or 5 pound loaves of their dry mozzarella.  Really good, but it works much better for new york style and other low temp pies.  I know Fresh Cheese does mail order.  The guy working there is really cool and gave me some mini dried salami pepperoni things connected by string and two little scamorza balls.  Quite tasty.  This scamorza is like a super high quality mild provolone, killer for adding a slightly more complex flavor to mozzarella.  I used just a touch of it along with a light sprinkle of the stores best romano.   I also picked up some san marzano's and some really yummy unfiltered olive oil.           Fresh Cheese  617-570-0007

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: restauraunt supply binge for home/Cheese for my best pie ever.
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2005, 09:37:32 AM »
scott,

Have you looked into a half-way house for recovering pizzaholics where they will be able to treat you before releasing you to become a productive member of society again :(?

Peter

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2005, 12:28:28 PM »
Peter, you have me laughing out loud.   Yes I need help, and a new kitchen cabinet.

Offline WOMBAT

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2005, 05:27:47 PM »
HEY, AT LEAST ITS NOT CRACK :o

Offline Nathan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2005, 05:06:34 AM »
HEY, AT LEAST ITS NOT CRACK :o
   ;D

(http://tinyurl.com/dvejr)

"Pizza with pineapples?  That's a cake."

Offline Dave A

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2005, 09:28:54 PM »
Scott
The 617 area code suggests Boston.  If so, I can make a local stop.
What is the name of the restaurant supply store and where is it and the cheese shop.
Thanks
Dave

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2005, 10:13:10 PM »
Fresh cheese is the name of the store, and it is right down the street from Pizzeria Regina in Bostons north end (little Italy).  Their dry mozzarella is really great, and ask if you want a 5 pound block instead of the 1 pound balls they have out on the shelves.  I don't know what kind of pizza you are into, but if you are doing Neapolitan pies you must try their fresh mozzarella.  I think they really do make it fresh every day, and that would explain why it is so good.  Just make sure to rub some salt on it and give it a good splash of olive oil.  They sell Raineri and Collucio olive oil that I am in love with. Unfortunately they were out of the cheaper and just as good Collucio last time I went.   I prefer unfiltered for maximum flavor, but they have the Raineri in both unfiltered, and filtered.  It is easy to spot with it's foil wrapped bottle.  While you are there you can also get all kinds of imported cheeses Romano, provolone, etc.

Another great source in the area is Fulciniti's Market 121 Hammond Street in Waltham (781-893-2276).  These guys are really nice, and you can buy part skim, and whole milk Grande mozzarella from them by the pound.  They also have some provolone there that is good for blending.  The grande is not in the deli case.  They just use it on their pizza, but just ask and they will hook you up and sell it to you.

Kritikos supply is in Watertown which is fairly close to Fulcciniti's market.   Just make sure to check mapquest, as both of these places are not really on main roads.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2005, 01:18:25 PM by scott r »

Offline Dave A

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2005, 02:17:57 PM »
Thanks.
I don't get to the North End that much, but I was just in Waltham this morning.  I'll be sure to check them out next time I'm out that way.  We frequently go to Russo's for fresh produce, meat and cheese.
Dave

pizzapan