Author Topic: You guys are going to love this . . . (my pizza's so far)  (Read 1372 times)

Offline Idreamofpizza

You guys are going to love this . . . (my pizza's so far)
« on: May 08, 2011, 05:14:05 AM »
Hey, glad to have found these forums.

I'm 21 yrs old, just moved out of a residential college into a house with mates and so have started doing a lot of cooking.

I've always been a big fan of pizza, especially home made pizza's so I decided to have a shot at making my own.

I'm guessing that a lot of people on here might find this funny but this is what I've been doing so far.

My super amazing pizza recipe
- chuck about 150g of wholemeal self raising flower into a mixing bowl
- fill a glass with some warm water and pour in a small amount of sugar and salt
- add some instant dry yeast on top
- add to flour, with a bit of oil, until it's dough like but not to sticky
- Sometimes will let rise for a while, or put in the fridge for later use
- put some baking paper onto a tray and roll out pizza
- add packet pizza sauce, cheese and other toppings
- put in pre heated oven at max temp (about 250 Celsius) and cook for about 10 mins

So, in case you can't tell they haven't been the most amazing pizza's ever. ..

I'm really keen to start learning how to make a great home made pizza, and having browsed through this forum a little bit I know I have a lot to learn.

I'm a student so not wanting to be spending heaps of money on fancy stuff, but have been thinking about investing in a pizza stone.

Can anyone point me in the right direction of some good posts / resources that will enable me to start learning how to make great pizza's?

Any little tips that anyone feels like giving are greatly appreciated :)

Offline jonesyb

Re: You guys are going to love this . . . (my pizza's so far)
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 07:00:18 AM »
Decide what type of pizzas you like then a good starting point is the sticky threads at the top of each forum.

Offline jonesyb

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 07:00:45 AM »
I would like to see some pictures of your current pizzas.

Offline dmcavanagh

Offline Idreamofpizza

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 02:33:12 AM »
Read this entire thread, all 22 pages...

Making my way through it.

Also found this one,

Ahh, can't post links . . .

It's tittled Keste Clone in the Neapolitan Style section (1st post)

Thinking about giving this one a go.

Except my oven only goes up to 250 celsius (482 Fahrenheit), and I don't have a mixing machine. Should I change anything in the recipe?

I'm also planning on picking up a pizza stone next time I'm down at the shops.  

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 03:16:09 AM »
Making my way through it.

Also found this one,

Ahh, can't post links . . .

It's tittled Keste Clone in the Neapolitan Style section (1st post)

Thinking about giving this one a go.

Except my oven only goes up to 250 celsius (482 Fahrenheit), and I don't have a mixing machine. Should I change anything in the recipe?

I'm also planning on picking up a pizza stone next time I'm down at the shops.  

in my experience, stones are snake oil to a home oven to a novice pizza maker.   it's one too many variables.   starting with a screen on a lower oven rack, or a sicilian style dough, is a better way to start out.   then when you find the sweet spot of your oven for top and bottom heat to be even, venture onto pizza stones.   figure your dough out (more exactly, a carbon copy repeatable recipe to exclude more variables) and then give stones a try.
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

Offline Idreamofpizza

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2011, 03:21:12 AM »
in my experience, stones are snake oil to a home oven to a novice pizza maker.   it's one too many variables.   starting with a screen on a lower oven rack, or a sicilian style dough, is a better way to start out.   then when you find the sweet spot of your oven for top and bottom heat to be even, venture onto pizza stones.   figure your dough out (more exactly, a carbon copy repeatable recipe to exclude more variables) and then give stones a try.

Thanks for the advice =)

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2011, 04:19:25 AM »
Hey, glad to have found these forums.

I'm 21 yrs old, just moved out of a residential college into a house with mates and so have started doing a lot of cooking.

I've always been a big fan of pizza, especially home made pizza's so I decided to have a shot at making my own.

I'm guessing that a lot of people on here might find this funny but this is what I've been doing so far.

My super amazing pizza recipe
- chuck about 150g of wholemeal self raising flower into a mixing bowl
- fill a glass with some warm water and pour in a small amount of sugar and salt
- add some instant dry yeast on top
- add to flour, with a bit of oil, until it's dough like but not to sticky
- Sometimes will let rise for a while, or put in the fridge for later use
- put some baking paper onto a tray and roll out pizza
- add packet pizza sauce, cheese and other toppings
- put in pre heated oven at max temp (about 250 Celsius) and cook for about 10 mins

So, in case you can't tell they haven't been the most amazing pizza's ever. ..

I'm really keen to start learning how to make a great home made pizza, and having browsed through this forum a little bit I know I have a lot to learn.

I'm a student so not wanting to be spending heaps of money on fancy stuff, but have been thinking about investing in a pizza stone.

Can anyone point me in the right direction of some good posts / resources that will enable me to start learning how to make great pizza's?

Any little tips that anyone feels like giving are greatly appreciated :)

150g flour
90g water
7g oil
3g salt
3g sugar
1g IDY

assuming that you said a weight of flour, try this recipe for starters.   i opened this in a new window to reply copy/paste but forgot

Offline scott123

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2011, 06:20:24 AM »
in my experience, stones are snake oil to a home oven to a novice pizza maker.

In my experience, everything other than stones is snake oil for the novice pizza maker. A stone is the only implement that will bake a thin crust pizza in a standard home oven in a respectable time. Good stones are the only thing standing between home bakers and mediocre chain (Dominos, Pizza Hut, PJs) pizza.

Idreamofpizza, with a 482 f oven and no stone, your style choices are somewhat limited.   Neapolitan (the thread you were looking at) is out of the question. A great NY style pie is also not a possibility. You easiest bet with your current equipment is a high oil, longer baked American style, and, although this forum has a few fans, American style is basically chain pizza, and a good NY style pie will put American to shame.

To achieve NY style with your oven, you're either going to need to do so some sort of oven trick so the oven will exceed that 482 f temp and/or get a thick, conductive stone.  If you have any hope of avoiding oven mods, you'll want to track down 1/2" steel plate. 1/2" steel plate @ 482 f should be able to break the 7 minute bake barrier.

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2011, 06:52:12 AM »
In my experience, everything other than stones is snake oil for the novice pizza maker. A stone is the only implement that will bake a thin crust pizza in a standard home oven in a respectable time. Good stones are the only thing standing between home bakers and mediocre chain (Dominos, Pizza Hut, PJs) pizza.

Idreamofpizza, with a 482 f oven and no stone, your style choices are somewhat limited.   Neapolitan (the thread you were looking at) is out of the question. A great NY style pie is also not a possibility. You easiest bet with your current equipment is a high oil, longer baked American style, and, although this forum has a few fans, American style is basically chain pizza, and a good NY style pie will put American to shame.

To achieve NY style with your oven, you're either going to need to do so some sort of oven trick so the oven will exceed that 482 f temp and/or get a thick, conductive stone.  If you have any hope of avoiding oven mods, you'll want to track down 1/2" steel plate. 1/2" steel plate @ 482 f should be able to break the 7 minute bake barrier.

at his max temp of 482f, i don't think a stone is going to help him much, which is why i said that.   most novice bakers seem to shy away from super high (to them) temperatures for some reason or another.

Offline scott123

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2011, 09:32:19 AM »
at his max temp of 482f, i don't think a stone is going to help him much, which is why i said that.   most novice bakers seem to shy away from super high (to them) temperatures for some reason or another.

I can see where you're coming from, but, as I said, with the right stone material, the impact of an anemic oven can be mitigated.  I know, for a fact, that 1/2" steel plate @ 520 can bake a 3 minute pizza.  In theory, 1" steel plate should be able break the 4 minute barrier at 480 f, although, the weight would break the shelf.  The super conductivity  of 1/2" plate will go a long way towards dialing back the back time to a respectable area, though. If a stone can take the bake clock from 12+ minutes down to less than 7, I think it's worth it.

Offline Idreamofpizza

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2011, 12:14:21 PM »
150g flour
90g water
7g oil
3g salt
3g sugar
1g IDY

assuming that you said a weight of flour, try this recipe for starters.

Will give it a go :)

Can you point me in the right direction of a recipe that I might be able to make with my current equipment? I don't really mind medium/thicker crust pizzas if that helps.

pizzapan