Author Topic: Thinking About an Electrolux Magic Mill Mixer  (Read 4722 times)

Offline TedW

Thinking About an Electrolux Magic Mill Mixer
« on: May 09, 2011, 12:13:52 PM »
At $600 it's a decision I really want to review. I have a stand mixer now. Many feel the Electrolux is a significant improvement given that you can mix a very wet dough.

Anyone have any thoughts?

buceriasdon

Re: Thinking About an Electrolux Magic Mill Mixer
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 01:01:41 PM »
Ted, I too am presently looking at mixers and would love to have the DLX except the climate I live in is very hard on rubber belts and the bowl is belt driven. My situation is of course unique and wouldn't apply to you. The reviews I have read have been very positive.
Don

Online Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 01:05:14 PM »
I went with the N28 Assistent Original in January. It is amazing. Large or small batches of dough. There is a a learning curve, as the mixing action is way different from most mixers. Wet doughs are a snap.

I kept my Kitchenaid for meat grinding and pasta making.
Sono venuto, ho visto, ho mangiato

Offline TedW

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 01:09:11 PM »
Very helpful. So Mmmmph, you have the Kitchen Aid and went with the N28 anyway. And you're glad you did. Nice testimonial!

Offline geofn

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 02:29:31 PM »
Hello all, first post here by an old pizza lover but new to this forum.

I too just last week acquired the Electrolux.  Although now its called the Assistent Original.  I also have (and will keep) the Kitchenaid, as well as a really heavy duty Univex SRM8.  So far I really like the Electrolux.  Unlike the stand mixers, the Electrolux does well with very small batches, and it seems much gentler on the dough as well.  So far I've made one run of pizza dough and five batches of bread dough.  All have turned out as well if not better than anything I've made with my stand mixers.

Offline TedW

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 02:39:52 PM »
Another rave review. I have yet to find anyone that says use the Kitchen Aid...

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2011, 03:55:55 PM »
Does anyone know what the smallest batch in grams the Electrolux will do? 

Also what is the highest hydration you have done and with what flour?

Offline TedW

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2011, 03:58:32 PM »
I also see there are different editions? N24 and now N28? I assume the N28 is the latest and greatest

Online Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2011, 04:08:50 PM »
@TedW - N28 is the latest. The American model = 600W

@Chau - Smallest batch I've done is 510g @ 63%, though it really hits it's stride at 1000g and above.
510g was kind of funny to watch. Once the gluten developed, it sort of bopped around in the bowl. Difficult to explain.

I've gone as high as 80% hydration with KABF, however I double hydrated that batch to ensure gluten development. Worked it at 70% until it felt right and incrementally added the remaining 10% water in until fully absorbed.

I've made 72-75% with KABF several times and this machine kicks a** with high hydration doughs. The roller/scraper system is really suited for it.

Offline TedW

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2011, 04:10:45 PM »
this machine kicks a** with high hydration doughs. The roller/scraper system is really suited for it.

That's what I'm looking for!

Online Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2011, 04:42:58 PM »
That's what I'm looking for!

Then this is the beast I recommend.

Mix 1-2 minutes, 20-30 minute autolyseMix again for a few minutes and double hydrate= big success.

This video looks like 1500-1800g @ 70% hydration
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7dhvJriTx8" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7dhvJriTx8</a>

This one is speeded up, but great. I'm guessing 1200-1300g @ 62-65% hydration
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mk41rQ-vuLE" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mk41rQ-vuLE</a>
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 09:10:03 AM by Mmmph »

Offline TedW

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2011, 08:37:02 AM »
Someone suggested that if I was looking to mix wet dough to simply mix by hand unless I needed large batches. That's certainly an option but that would be a lot of effort. I'd be less inclined to bake, methinks.

Offline chrisf

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2011, 02:28:53 PM »
I'm not sure this will be of help at this point in time but I have been using a DLX for over ten years. I use it weekly for bread dough and occasionally pizza dough. It does better with higher hydration levels, 65% and up. Before I got this I mixed by hand, I would never use a planetary mixer for dough.