Author Topic: Growing tomatoes  (Read 7735 times)

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
Re: Growing tomatoes
« Reply #75 on: May 20, 2011, 04:26:51 PM »
Oh yea how far apart are you usually supposed to plant tomatoes from each other in a garden? I gave my neighbor 2 of my tomatoes and put them about 1.5 feet from one another. Was that to close or is that fine.

Offline Matthew

• Supporting Member
« Reply #76 on: May 20, 2011, 05:46:42 PM »
John that garden looks really nice and neat. I can't believe how much its raining either, it was driving me crazy. I've had a tarp over the tomatoes for the last 3 days.

It's been raining here for 6 days.  Sunshine tomorrow, then rain Sunday & Monday.  My dad's growing my San Marzano's in his greenhouse.

Matt
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 05:48:22 PM by Matthew »

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #77 on: May 20, 2011, 06:03:13 PM »
Oh yea how far apart are you usually supposed to plant tomatoes from each other in a garden? I gave my neighbor 2 of my tomatoes and put them about 1.5 feet from one another. Was that to close or is that fine.

I am using a Calabrian method and they are 12 inches apart. People will say it is too close, but it works very well - they be become a wall of tomatoes.

John

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #78 on: May 20, 2011, 06:13:58 PM »
I am using a Calabrian method and they are 12 inches apart. People will say it is too close, but it works very well - they be become a wall of tomatoes.

John

Can't wait to see the results.

Offline vr6Dad

• Green Eggs & Pizza
« Reply #79 on: June 05, 2011, 05:39:40 PM »
Here is one of my dozen and a half Roma tomato plants. I have a few generic Roma plants, some Roma VF plants and some Pompeii Roma plants. I'm also growing basil, 4 types of peppers, onions and a few other things here and there.

I'm growing everything in a square foot garden configuration. I have three 4ft x 4ft plots, and two 4ft x 2ft plots. The little plots are just for maters and peppers and get sun from sunrise to sunset.

I'm looking forward to fresh and canned sauce!
Cheers, Adrian
Big Green Egg

Offline lilbuddypizza

• Cheesy dude
« Reply #80 on: June 08, 2011, 07:44:30 PM »
I left my grow lights on overnight by accident will this effect the plants in anyway? They were on for about 20hrs +/- 30mins. Theres something else that confused me. When I got the setup I asked the guy how long I was supposed to leave them on for. He said 16 on, 6 off. What about those other 2 hours. Did he say it wrong or is it supposed to be a cycling at different times thing?
Late answer, but---
From what I understand, tomato plants grow more from soil warmth than sun (but of course they need sun).

Offline matermark

« Reply #81 on: June 08, 2011, 11:29:02 PM »
I think they made a simple mistake. I  usually start them under lights for anywhere from 12-16 hours on, the rest off. I think I set my timer for 12 or 14.

Plants need an off period, this is when they grow. There was a study done about 50 years ago about which on/off length is best, I will try to find the pic if I didn't post it yet.

Here it is:(http://mysite.verizon.net/~korney19/301.jpg)

pizzapan