Author Topic: Pat's Great thin crust pizzas  (Read 3914 times)

Offline BTB

Pat's Great thin crust pizzas
« on: May 11, 2011, 09:19:20 AM »
Good to see some great reports on some great Chicago Style thin crust pizzas (like those at Marie's, Candlelite, Vito & Nick's, Home Run Inn, Fox's, etc.) like this and give some positive recognition to something along the lines of old-time "traditional great Chicago thin crust pizza" in Chicago -- other than the currently popular "in vogue" Neapolitan Style pizza that has massively invaded Chicago and hundreds of other cities in the U.S.A.  I can almost guarantee you that the pizza at the "renown" Neapolitan pizzeria (you name it) in Chicago, can be closely had at the (you name it) "renown" Neapolitan pizzeria in (you name it) town, USA.  But original style Chicago thin crust pizzas (that are not of the "in vogue" neapolitan style) are special and not available anywhere but . . . in Chicago.

Chicago Essential: Pat's Pizza  

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2011/05/chicago-essential-pats-pizza-best-thin-crust-pizza-chicago-review.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+feedmeaslice+%28Slice%29

From my earlier report at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,8921.0.html

--BTB
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 09:24:35 AM by BTB »

Offline Clive At Five

• I <3 pizza
    • Clive at Five Post - food, fitness, technology, politics...
Re: Pat's Great thin crust pizzas
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 12:53:21 PM »
Hey, just because they're "in," doesn't mean Neapolitan pizzas aren't delicious! I enjoy a good Neapolitan pizza every now and again, though my heart belongs to deep dish!

I'd love to try this Pat's place... I like how they push the sauce all the way to the edge - it looks absolutely delicious. I'm rarely a fan of cracker-style, but I think I could make an exception for this place! Oh wait... "not" cracker style!!! :-X *dodges incoming flames*

... ;) I kid, honestly I do. It looks great! Of the variety of pizza joints we have in MN, I'd love to see something like this, and I'd love even more to have some authentic Chicago-Style deep dish!

-Clive

Offline LD

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 05:21:02 PM »
Clive what do you think of Cossettas in St. Paul? 

Offline Clive At Five

• I <3 pizza
    • Clive at Five Post - food, fitness, technology, politics...
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 05:48:43 PM »
I hear they make a pleasant thin...
but to that place, I've never been.

The pictures do resemble Pat's.
Best not ask Chicago cats.

They'll just say it's not the same
and play that ego-rific game. ;)

Not sure why I made this rhyme,
but I'm pretty sure that it is time...

..to stop.

Offline shwishdeen

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 01:24:21 AM »
I used to work at Pat's - as a server. I don't know much about the recipe, although I think the crust was rolled out and then frozen raw. The frozen crust was taken out only right before topping and baking.

A fantastic ultra-thin. More tender than D'Agostino's and Neapolitan styles. The super-thin crust is more "crispy" than "crunchy" if that makes sense.

Offline BTB

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 09:02:58 AM »
Pat's serves one of the world's best ultra thin crust pizzas.  They've long been very successful at their Lincoln Ave. location and I'm surprised that this top notch pizzeria hasn't branched out like Malnati's, Home Run Inn, Vito and Nick's, Aurelio's, Gino's East, etc. having other locations around the Chicago metro area.  But sometimes you don't want to spoil the original good thing.

I suspect it's true that they rolled their pizza doughs out long in advance of use, but I would be surprised to learn that they really freeze their crusts afterwards.  I haven't had much luck in freezing dough or sauce for that matter.  Freezing seems to change the crust/sauce character somehow and in not too good a way.  Another ultra thin crust pizzeria that I'm familiar with is Fricano's in southwest Michigan and they, too, make their ultra thin pizza crusts up well in advance and leave them laying around the kitchen until "called to service."  I suspect they maintain a refrigerator supply in case of excess demand that evening.

A number of us dined at Pat's last year and gobbled up every morsel of their great tender, crispy pizza as shown below.

--BTB

Offline Chippewafan

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2011, 08:01:18 AM »
Swhishdeen.....could you please tell us more about Pat's Pizza?

My kids and I eat there EVERY time we go to Chicago.

In my opinion, Pat's is THE standard for Chicago thin crust pizza.

Offline Chippewafan

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2011, 04:44:25 PM »
I think Pat's dough is refrigerated. If you do a search on Youtube, you can find an interview with the owner. Search for Dining Chicago and Pat's Pizza. The video shows them making a pizza and discusses how they make the dough.

Offline BTB

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2011, 09:30:27 AM »
There is one video that refers to the original Pat's Pizza on Dining Chicago at
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nLcogrm1Sc&amp;playnext=1&amp;list=PLB346B5518EB6D392" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nLcogrm1Sc&amp;playnext=1&amp;list=PLB346B5518EB6D392</a>

There is another video on the youtube site (which is the one I think that Chippewafan is referring to) that talks of refrigerating the dough, but that refers to a different Pat's pizza location that I'm uncertain if it is related to the famous and original Pat's Pizzeria that is located in the Lincoln Park area at 2679 Lincoln Ave. in Chicago (see http://www.patspizza.info/ which does not refer to having any other location).

--BTB

Offline Chippewafan

It is the same Pat's Pizza
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2011, 11:32:52 AM »
It is the same Pat's.

They just moved about four blocks. The new location is 2679 N. Lincoln Ave. The old location was at 3114 N. Sheffield. As further proof they are the same place.....the phone number is the same.

If you watch both videos, you can tell that the owner, Nick, is the same person.
Here is a link to the other video.....
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpIN8tUJOn4" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpIN8tUJOn4</a>

Offline dmckean44

• pizza pizza
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2014, 03:14:41 PM »
Any more traction on this? I love Pat's.

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2014, 03:34:28 PM »
Quite a few trade secrets divulged here:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pW2kilumXJ4" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pW2kilumXJ4</a>

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2014, 04:05:20 PM »
Thatsa nicea pizza pie!  :chef:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline dmckean44

• pizza pizza
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2014, 07:48:21 PM »
A ton of info in that last video but nothing about the sauce. It's been too long since I've last been there to remember what the sauce was like.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2014, 08:26:50 PM »
About the crust....."That's 45 years of practice".   :o

Guess I got a ways to go!   ;D

Offline Garvey

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2014, 11:01:33 PM »
A ton of info in that last video but nothing about the sauce.

No sauce info?  He'd fit in perfect around here!

:-D

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2014, 11:15:07 PM »
No sauce info?  He'd fit in perfect around here!

:-D
  :-D   trade secrets.

Offline BTB

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2014, 08:31:36 AM »
I remember at the time that I was last at Pat's, I also visited a number of other thin crust pizzerias around then, too.  And I mentally compared various aspects of some of the different pizzas.  Pat's super thin crunchy/crisp crust, their crust's flavor and texture, and their cheese and sausage were its highlights.  The sauce was very good too, but I recall in comparing it to others, that it wasn't especially special, if that makes any sense.

I have a hard time describing their sauce, but it was an excellent and rich tomatoey sauce, predominantly on the "plain" side, but delicious.  I didn't sense much of any sweetness (except natural), nor was the sauce spiced up much.  It was -- in my estimation -- a perfect companion sauce to their style of pizza.  "Plain but rich tomatoey sauce" is the thought that stuck in my mind.  Sorry I couldn't be of more help here.

I will have to get some sample sauce when I return to Pat's for a visit this upcoming spring or summer.

--BTB                     :)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 08:43:26 AM by BTB »

Offline Garvey

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2014, 08:49:55 AM »
It's interesting that their dough is pre-skinned and five days old.  I wonder when they sheet it--on which day, I mean.  Day two?  Day five?  I would guess more towards the latter, so that the skins don't rise.

Offline dmckean44

• pizza pizza
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2014, 12:10:44 PM »
I imagine they do like Monical's and dress the skins directly from the cooler to keep things super thin. It looks like they trim the skins too.