Author Topic: Burned Cheese Part 3,With a Possible Remedy To Use It?  (Read 2002 times)

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
Burned Cheese Part 3,With a Possible Remedy To Use It?
« on: April 29, 2011, 02:16:10 AM »
Hey folks...many of you might have already seen my threads about the burnt cheese.It was nagging the heck out of me for some time.

I thought I threw the last bag out,but tonight I seen it sitting in the back of the fridge from last time,and I wanted to see if I could make a pizza with the same batch again.

I wanted to see if it was possible to use what was left of that cheese,and do something to keep it from burning before the pie was done.I decided to make an experimental Pizza with it,only this time,I put about 3 tbs of olive oil into a bowl,put the shredded cheese into the oiled bowl,and hand mixed until all of the cheese had some oil on it.

It worked...the pizza was good too.I used the exact recipe for the sauce I made last time as well.While the pie was cooking,I could see the cheese was behaving like it did the last time,only it was not burning prematurely into burnt scabs,it was staying a white color a lot longer.

In the end,it did start to show some small burn spots,and was not elastic as the better bags I used,but the use of oil helped it a lot.

-Bill

Offline chickenparm

Re: Burned Cheese Part 3,With a Possible Remedy To Use It?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 02:20:06 AM »
I wanted to comment about some of the pictures.The cheese looks yellowish...that was from the light more than anything.It does not look that yellowish in person.It does have a bit of burn spots from the cheese,but not where like it came out on my other topic when the cheese burned like scabs everywhere.

I could see the cheese was about to burn some more,but the pie was well done,and more than ready to come out.Im glad to say using the oil seems to work.Do I want to do this everytime?

No...but Im thinking it cant hurt to use that method,if using a cheese that is known to maybe do this sometimes.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 02:23:07 AM by chickenparm »
-Bill

scott123

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 03:14:53 AM »
Looks good, Bill.

Just tonight, I added about 1/4 C. of water to 3/4 lb of grated mozz that I was using on bagel pizzas.  Normally I can't get cheese to bubble on a bagel at all and it just burns, but this gave me a little bubbling.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 07:39:14 AM »
Bill,

Glad to hear you got your burnt cheese figured out. Nice experiment with good results. Your pie looks very tasty.   :)

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline hammettjr

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 07:52:38 AM »
Interesting. Can you comment a bit more on the taste?

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2011, 01:21:37 PM »
I really like the look of the crust in the last pic.I cant seem to get mine to turn out like that.Id like to know what dough recipe you use.

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2011, 07:17:55 PM »
Hey folks,thanks for the nice words...I was very busy today and will answer some questions later today.
 :)
-Bill

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2011, 11:22:38 PM »
Norma,The pie came out better than I expected.Never know how they are gonna turn out! Thanks for the nice words!
Scott,thanks for the info about the water.I love bagel pizzas and will try that next time to see if I can get it nice and bubbly.
I have used water in the past,but never for this current problem.

I mainly suggest water to people where their typical cheese they make or use,always burns alot,and/or for use on frozen pizzas from the stores.When I buy frozen pizzas once in a while for the kids,I spray water all over the top and the cheese will melt white,and not burn like it does without water.

I still have some of that cheese left in the bag and may try another experiment with water instead of oil.As you know,most of the time,this brand of cheese never burned,only 2 odd bags I bought.So I knew it must be a weird batch or bad mix.I decided to try oil for it and it worked.I believe water may do the job well too.

Matt,

The pizza or cheese tasted fine,just a bit oily.There was a different taste compared to the cheese that did not burn,and it was not as elastic or stretchy.The olive oil may be the reason for the change of taste more than anything.I liked it alot but not something I want to do all the time.The cheese was already a bad mix,it would not melt or bubble like the other bags would anyway.The oil just more or less kept it from burning itself into those nasty brown scabs seen in my other thread about it.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 12:17:17 AM by chickenparm »
-Bill

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2011, 12:02:47 AM »
FeChef,

I am using the same recipe I posted in my 18 inch NY style thread.Here it is:

17 inch pizza dough.(intended for the 18 inch size/screen)

KABF,60% hydro.IDY

Flour (100%):    386.94 g  |  13.65 oz | 0.85 lbs
Water (60%):    232.17 g  |  8.19 oz | 0.51 lbs
*IDY (0.3%):    1.16 g | 0.04 oz | 0 lbs | 0.39 tsp | 0.13 tbsp*
Salt (2.0%):    7.74 g | 0.27 oz | 0.02 lbs | 1.61 tsp | 0.54 tbsp
Oil (2.0%):    7.74 g | 0.27 oz | 0.02 lbs | 1.72 tsp | 0.57 tbsp
Sugar (2.0%):    7.74 g | 0.27 oz | 0.02 lbs | 1.94 tsp | 0.65 tbsp
Total (166.3%):   643.49 g | 22.7 oz | 1.42 lbs | TF = 0.1

* the IDY yeast,Im using a 1/4 tsp now instead of whats listed in the recipe.

I make the dough,one size smaller,say 17 inch,and I open the dough to 18 inch.

It works great for me.After dough is made in the bread machine,I spray a bowl with an olive oil spray,then lightly ball the dough by hand,just to shape it,and place it into the oiled bowl.

Then I spray Olive oil all over the dough ball until its covered.Then I put the lid on the bowl and put it away for 1-3 days for a cold rise,depending how long I want to let it cold rise.

I think this is what has been giving me a blistered crunchier rim.When the dough is done rising,there is a nice oil ring between the dough and the bowl from settling.I think the oil I sprayed into the bowl,and also on top of the dough,it will slowly run down the sides and meet at the edge of the dough.

When I take the doughball out,the entire rim of the dough has a slightly wet oily edge.That edge stays on the outside of what becomes the rim when I shape the dough into a crust.When it cooks,it seems to give me a wonderful blistered edge.I really am not 100% sure.I'm guessing this is what happens.

Just so you know,for getting the dough out of the bowl,I throw a little bench flour into the bowl,around the dough edge,and turn the bowl upside down,so the dough falls out onto my hand and wont stick.

Then I flip my hand back over and place the dough,bottom side down, onto a lightly floured countertop to make a rim and circle,turning it a few times.Then I lift the dough to shape larger by hand to the size I need.

I try not to disturb the rim edges too much,and try not to get too much flour on the rim either.

See if this helps you achieve what you are looking for.

-Bill

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2011, 12:12:46 AM »
I wanted to include a few pics of how the bottom of the crust turned out as well.Thought maybe some would like to see.
-Bill

Offline hammettjr

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2011, 10:31:20 AM »
The pizza or cheese tasted fine,just a bit oily.There was a different taste compared to the cheese that did not burn,and it was not as elastic or stretchy.

Thanks Bill for sharing and the additional information. I'm going to be experimenting with oil a bit this weekend. Keep up the great work!

Matt