Since you recently did a lot of work on the Bisquick mixes, maybe the instant pizza dough product would be a good place to start.
At some point it would be nice to see a brief description of the Caravan products that were sent to you and what they are supposed to do. Recommended usage levels would also be useful. In some cases, especially if the usage levels are low, you may want to make multiple weighings of an amount of the products in order to be able to convert small weights of the products to volume measurements, as you did recently with some of your dough enhancer blends. That conversion data will allow you to use one of the fields in the expanded dough calculating tool.
Peter or anyone else that is interested: These are the descriptions of the products, ingredients, and usage.
Dough Freeze 2
Description: is a concentrated dough conditioner and improver that extends freezer life and promotes the full recovery of frozen doughs.
1. Dough Freeze 2 is designed to be used for extended, long term freezing with full recovery in size and flavor.
2. Easy to use concentrate. Use only 2 lbs. Per 200 lbs. of flour.
Ingredients: Wheat flour, Dextrose, Diacetyl Tartaric Acid Ester of Mono-and Diglycerides (DATEM), Contains 2% or less of: Soy Oil, Ascorbic Acid, Enzyme
Description: Dough Freeze 2 is a 2% conditioner formulated for frozen dough shelf life.
Usage: Recommended to use 2 lbs. for 100 lbs. of flour
Storage: Should be stored under ambient conditions in a clean, cool, dry place. This product will give full performance for 9 months.
Free Flowing white powder, certified Kosher
Stretch -Out is a no-time base for pizza dough , tortillas, Pita bread and other doughs requiring extensibility.
1. Produces bread that stretches easily without ďsnap backĒ.
2. Recommended 4 lbs. to 100 lbs. flour
Salt, Vegetable Shortening (Partially Hydrogenated Soybean, Cottonseed, and/or Canola Oils), Dextrose, Corn Starch, Mono-and Diglycerides, Soy Flour, Contains 2% or less of each of the following: L-Cysteine, Ascorbic Acid, Enzyme
Patent flour 100 lbs.
Stretch-Out 4 lbs.
Water (Variable) 52 %
Yeast, Compressed (Variable) 2.50 lbs.
Total weight 158.50 lbs.
Procedure: mix in mixer (low) 1 minutes
Continue mixing for 10 minutes
Dough temp. 78 degrees
Floor time 10 minutes
EL-7 is a no-time dough ingredient specially formulated for doughs requiring extreme extensibility without ďshrink backĒ, such as pizza, tortilla and pita bread dough.
1. EL-7 eliminates fermentation time using conventional equipment.
2. EL-7 allows doughs to sheet and press-out with more consistent shape. EL-7 reduces mixing times.
3. EL-7 will not affect the color or the flavor of your products.
4. EL-7 increases the shelf life of tortillas making them more tender so they stay fresher and softer with minimal cracking.
5. EL-7 improves the stretching ability for stringline production (French loaves) and help reduce shrinkage during baking.
Directions: Typical usage level is 0.375-0.5% based on flour weight.
Ingredients: Wheat flour, salt, soy oil, contains 2% or less of L-Cysteine, Ascorbic Acid, Enzyme
Description: Fridge Soft is part of Caravan Ingredients line of extended shelf life products. It is designed for anti-staling application in refrigerated, yeast leavened bakery products as well as other non-refrigerated bakery products requiring extreme resistance to staling. It has also been found to aid shelf life when freezing baked bread and roils, while still providing that just baked softness.
1. Reduces waste levels of prepared sandwiches kept in refrigerators and vending machines by keeping the bread as fresh as the filling.
2. Ideal for industrial bakeries looking to tap the market for individually wrapped sandwiches and breads as this product will keep them fresh for much longer.
3. Can be used in non-refrigerated baked breads and rolls to extend crumb softness to a ďjust bakedĒ freshness level.
4. Used at 2-%, this powdered blend ensures soft, delicious bread, rolls and other refrigerated baked goods.
Ingredients: Calcium Sulfate, Wheat Starch, Wheat Flour, Soybean Oil, Enzymes (wheat)
Directions: Can be used in any east leavened product at 2%-4% level based on flour weight. No change in handling procedures. *Notes: The amount of FRIDGE SOFT required for a formulation depends on the bake time and weight of dough piece being baked.
I agree that since I have done work on the Bisquick mixes, and they are almost instant doughs, using Stretch Out would be a good place to start. Do you have any ideas about what kind of flour I should use in the experiment, what hydration, or amount of time from starting the dough to the final bake?
In one of my emails to Edna, I did tell he about making the Sukie pizza and said some of the ingredients of the Stretch Out were about the same as the Bisquick Buttermilk biscuit mix and you had added a ďgoody bagĒ to the biscuit mix to make it possible to be made into a pizza. I told Edna I never thought it would be possible to make a pizza out of a biscuit mix, until I did the experiment.
I also asked Edna if Fridge Soft could be used to keep crusts fresh when in my heated humidified holding cabinet at market and she replied she wasnít sure how the Fridge Soft will react under those conditions, but would be interested in the tests, if I did them.
EL-7 is also supposed to be a no time product for dough.