Author Topic: Hello To All  (Read 600 times)

Offline Koimum

Hello To All
« on: May 11, 2011, 12:17:41 PM »
I recently found this forum and was immediately smitten.  :-D

I have made pizzas many years but recently found 00 flour from Italy in our local Restaurant Depot in RI. I had heard about the 00 pizza flour but never had an opportunity to try any until now. Learning to work with higher hydration is fun yet frustrating at times. I used to make the doughs for hubby's business using an old Hobart and small commercial pizza oven but have since retired from producing pizzas for hubby's business. Now the pizzas are just for us. I am working with a KA mixer at home but no longer have access to the commercial oven so my wish list is for a wood fired oven someday. I hope that "someday" comes soon! In the meantime, I am reading every morsel I can find regarding producing high heat to cook the pies at home. My eyes have been glued to posts about Little Black Eggs, Mini Black Eggs, oven tampering, G3 Ferraris, Denis, and outrageous propane burners. I am hooked even though hubby thinks I have lost my mind when I show him photos of some of the pizza cookers and ask him if he can build me one in the back yard. Yep, you guys are great!

My only problem is drooling over the photos of pies at 7 am and having to go grab a slice from the fridge for breakfast. I have been practicing using 00 flour for a week now and have about 6 cooked pies in the fridge but they need improvement!  But hey, this is fun!       .....JoAnn

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
Re: Hello To All
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 12:41:07 PM »
Welcome JoAnn - RD 00 flour has been discussed at bit in the following thread, and might be of help to you: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13198.0.html. When using the flour in a home oven, the inclusion of either a few percents of sugar and/or oil will help with browning. Looking forward to seeing the results of your experiments!

John

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 12:54:54 PM »
Welcome!  You sound like a perfect person to join this forum.  It is the best.  There is an unbelievable amount of information available in the message archives.  So have at it and enjoy.   :pizza:

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 08:56:01 PM »
Hey Joann! welcome . so whats your current oven set up? you are using for the 00 you bought the 25KG bag right so you have enough to mess with for a bit and no big deal if its not perfect just have at it and Have fun!
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline Koimum

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 11:31:37 AM »
Hey Joann! welcome . so whats your current oven set up? you are using for the 00 you bought the 25KG bag right so you have enough to mess with for a bit and no big deal if its not perfect just have at it and Have fun!
John

Yes, 55 pounds to play with! What more could a girl ask for? Well, maybe a WFO!

Home oven goes to 550 so I started using that with a stone I think is cordierite after I totally blackened the bottom crust of a pie using the gas grill and a cast iron griddle. I just bought a Deni oven and will have hubby tamper with the thermostat settings so I can try some high heats without setting off smoke alarms but that won't arrive for 5 days or so. I am really leaning toward a Little Black Egg or a mini but will play with the gas grill more when the weather improves. Unless I can obtain some sort of higher heat, I might try mixing another flour with the 00. John's suggestion of adding some sugar/oil is helpful.

Thanks  dellavechia (John), tinroofrusted, and John (007) for the welcome!
JoAnn