Author Topic: 'Papa' John Schmatter making pizza in Peru  (Read 1207 times)

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
'Papa' John Schmatter making pizza in Peru
« on: May 12, 2011, 08:10:27 PM »
came across this video through the PJ facebook site..

http://elcomercio.pe/gastronomia/755686/noticia-par-secretos-preparar-buena-pizza

after watching that video, i am appalled at how terrible he makes pizza as the Grand Poobah of the PJ, inc.   he sauces incorrectly per SOP.   he tosses the dough and does not dock the dough per SOP. and he double cuts with the cutter (sawing at the pizza) a major no-no in any pizza shop let alone PJ.

but, i'm proud to say that i make better final products than john himself  :-D
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 08:13:56 PM by c0mpl3x »
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: 'Papa' John Schmatter making pizza in Peru
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 08:24:07 PM »
Boy, that crust is for the birds. I wonder what kind of flour is available in Peru to make the pizzas there.

Peter

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 08:27:45 PM »
Boy, that crust is for the birds. I wonder what kind of flour is available in Peru to make the pizzas there.

Peter

i would assume that the commissaries down there, use the same flour as the other commissaries around the world to have 100% global consistency, and they just freight/jet it to the nearest airport

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 08:30:48 PM »

Peter

and to answer the first part pete, that dough is horribly under-proofed.  no rise, no thickness. it also looks to be a medium doughball stretched out.

and for some trivia, papa john's adjusts its sugar and yeast contents based on the season.   we recently made the commissary switch back to 'summer dough' with lower yeast and sugar due to warmer shop temperatures.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 08:42:29 PM »
and for some trivia, papa john's adjusts its sugar and yeast contents based on the season.   we recently made the commissary switch back to 'summer dough' with lower yeast and sugar due to warmer shop temperatures.

That is very interesting. I wondered whether PJ had to do something like that. My practice is to lower the amount of yeast as the Texas summer heat approaches but Tom Lehmann usually advocates using a lower water temperature before resorting to lowering the amount of yeast. Maybe that doesn't work as well in the PJ commissaries. I have to believe that the PJ commissaries are like clean rooms, with strict temperature and humidity control.

Peter

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 08:58:00 PM »
That is very interesting. I wondered whether PJ had to do something like that. My practice is to lower the amount of yeast as the Texas summer heat approaches but Tom Lehmann usually advocates using a lower water temperature before resorting to lowering the amount of yeast. Maybe that doesn't work as well in the PJ commissaries. I have to believe that the PJ commissaries are like clean rooms, with strict temperature and humidity control.

Peter

not as tyvek suit and temperature controlled as you would think ;)

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2011, 10:28:21 PM »
While I applaud the financial success stories I read about of Papa Johns,I have read the story about John's quest to make pizza out of the back of a bar,bought used restaurant equipment,sold his Camaro,etc,and what he did to do so,I find it hard to believe at times,this stuff they sell as his Pizza TODAY,is anything like his original pies he made when starting out.I would love to ask him that but doubt I would get an honest answer.

That said,I do not like any of their pizzas.To me its awful.I gave that chain a chance a few times and its not something I would ever want to buy again.

-Bill