Author Topic: Making Pizza During the Week  (Read 710 times)

Offline DanCole42

Making Pizza During the Week
« on: July 13, 2011, 09:51:11 AM »
When you get right down to it, pizza does not take that long to make. A few minutes to mix the dough, flatten, top, bake, boom.

It's the rising and heating the oven that takes hours, but it's not like you really need to be around for that.

The problem is when you want pizza during the week. I want to bake my way through "American Pie," but most of the recipes have you pulling the dough out two hours before you want to bake. I don't want to eat dinner at 9PM.

So how do other people deal with this?

One thing I was thinking of was just taking the dough with me to work, then pulling it out of the fridge an hour before I leave for home.

Would the jostling in the car be bad?
Would the fact that it would be out of the fridge in the morning for 90 minutes be bad? I guess I could just use a cooler...
-Dan

GChat: DanCole42

MORBO: The challenger's ugly food has shown us that even hideous things can be sweet on the inside.

Offline theppgcowboy

Re: Making Pizza During the Week
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 04:52:20 PM »
I work with doughs that are 3 to 5 days old and have found that if they are pulled out as the oven warms you are ok, my oven takes 1/2 hour and is a bakers pride MOS2E.  The flavor is produced more during the long proofing than in the last 2 hours.  Be gentle with the dough and let it temper on the counter.  Then open it up and enjoy.  I have not found much of a difference in the cooked pie itself from a dough tempering 1/2 or 2 hours.  It will be interesting to hear from the more experienced pie makers. This is just my personal experience.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 04:57:40 PM by theppgcowboy »

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
Re: Making Pizza During the Week
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 12:19:10 AM »
It should not take more than 45 minutes to an hour to assemble a pizza.Take the dough out of the fridge when you turn on the oven to let the oven preheat.1 hour should be enough.

Let the dough warm up in the room.Heck place bowl with the dough on top of the stove to warm it up faster.

Even a somewhat cold dough,if ready,should be easy enough to make a crust with.I am able to use my dough by 30 minutes out of the fridge.Its a little harder to stretch compared to a warmer dough,but as long as it does not shrink back and fight back,its going to stretch to the size you want.Lucky for me,my current doughs wont fight back,just takes a little longer to stretch to size when cold.

-Bill