Author Topic: Basil Question  (Read 3241 times)

Offline dmcavanagh

Re: Basil Question
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2011, 08:37:17 PM »
I've got 7 lovely plants in a box planter right outside the kitchen door. Nothing like some fresh basil on a right out of the oven pie. I'll be careful not to over water it, thanks for that tip.

PaulsPizza

« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2011, 01:48:05 PM »
Thanks for that pizzablogger, I haven't heard of anyone growing basil in just water for before, maybe for good reason..

Offline SquirrelFlight

• Who needs nuts?
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2011, 03:48:57 PM »
Hydro/aeroponics is an increasingly popular way to grow veggies and herbs (with the passing of the AZ medical marjuana laws, there are hydro shops popping up all over town in Phoenix).  The lack of flavor is likely due to an imbalance in nutrient, not the lack of soil.  I've been slowly putting together an aero garden of my own (been working at it the better part of a year now - save up, buy tools, learn to use said tools, do what needs doing, move on to next tool), and once it's up an running, I plan on at least one cultivar of basil, possibly others.  Sounds like I'll need to keep careful notes about nutrient balances and the quality of leaf...

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2011, 03:45:17 AM »
in my experience with hydroponics, there is more quantity, sacrificed for quality.  natural soil has proven many times to be the best and easiest way to grow whatever you are growing.  granted, there is a few things such as rainforest plants that have adapted to grow in water, but i don't think that is the case with basil.
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2011, 08:54:40 AM »
Hydro/aeroponics is an increasingly popular way to grow veggies and herbs (with the passing of the AZ medical marjuana laws, there are hydro shops popping up all over town in Phoenix).  The lack of flavor is likely due to an imbalance in nutrient, not the lack of soil.  I've been slowly putting together an aero garden of my own (been working at it the better part of a year now - save up, buy tools, learn to use said tools, do what needs doing, move on to next tool), and once it's up an running, I plan on at least one cultivar of basil, possibly others.  Sounds like I'll need to keep careful notes about nutrient balances and the quality of leaf...

Yes, you are correct. Hydroponic systems usually use rocks, beads, etc to secure the rootstock in (so the plant doesn't fall over) place and uses timed doses of nutrients to feed the plant. I've had hydroponically grown basil that is quite good.

The method I was referring to previously with regards to the Baltimore Farmers Market is a system where the plant is suspended and the rootstock is literally submersed in water for the entire duration of the growing cycle. Constant access to water is not something basil should be subjected to. --K
"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

pizzapan