Author Topic: Pie Pan  (Read 1157 times)

Offline flyinfree

Pie Pan
« on: May 16, 2011, 04:47:29 PM »
Can anyone tell me if a pie pan can be used for deep dish pizza? I am talking about the traditional dessert pie pan with the tapered edges. What are the problems one would face trying to use this style pan?

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
Re: Pie Pan
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 04:51:39 PM »
it turns into a flat pizza due to a lack of straight sides
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 05:14:46 PM »
Can anyone tell me if a pie pan can be used for deep dish pizza? I am talking about the traditional dessert pie pan with the tapered edges. What are the problems one would face trying to use this style pan?

flyinfree,

I once made some mini deep-dish personal-sized pizzas using small cutter pans with sloping sides. In my case, the sides were only 7/8" so it was hard to get much depth. I can't say whether your traditional pie pan can produce similar results but you can see my results at Replies 6 and 7 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,560.msg5138.html#msg5138. Making larger "shallow" deep-dish pizzas shouldn't be a problem but one would want to use the right kind of pan, such as a larger cutter pan. The advantage of a cutter pan (dark anodized) over a typical metal pie pan, especially if it is a light colored aluminum pan, is that the dark pan will absorb heat better and bake the pizza better.

Peter
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 05:16:31 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline Mick.Chicago

• Squish.
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 10:45:00 AM »
Yeah, I think the sides are going to be too low of an angle to get anything out of it.  I personally think, with a stiff dough you could free form a deep dish pizza but have yet to try it. It would mean a weird looking and thicker edged pie though, and  I would try it in a quiche/pie dish because if it did collapse one way or the other it wouldn't be much of a problem and would still be contained and edible,  glass can give a nice finish to regular pastry but I've not tried 'bread/pizza doughs'

pizzapan