Author Topic: To the Newbies (from an old newb)  (Read 687 times)

Offline Howard

To the Newbies (from an old newb)
« on: June 21, 2011, 08:09:30 PM »
Although I've been making pizzas from scratch for many years now, after perusing this forum for a few days I realize I've been downright monk-like in my method. Meaning: I adopted a simple recipe, got it to 'work' after minor tweaks here and there, and I've stuck with it. I haven't had the pleasure of commuinicating with other home pizza folks (the monk part), not in the 16 years I've been making pizzas in a typical home oven. I've never weighed my ingredients (although I'm rethinking this now), never determined dough hydration (another rethink), and just recently switched from KAAP to Caputo 00 (even though KAAP works just fine when I'm out of 00).

The reason I'm posting this for the Newbies is that "didn't know what I didn't know" about the various pizza recipe and technique permutations until going through this forum. The best advice I've read from those who really know is that it's a very good idea to get your dough to work the way you like it. My pizzas tend to be a cracker style hybrid because my wife and I love thin crust pizza (even though there's still a bit of chewiness at the edges). My (very) general technique;

-Same day dough (prepared in the morning and allowed to rise all day)
-Activated Dry Yeast
-No oil in the dough when mixing (only lining the rising bowl)
-Kneaded by hand (no more than 7-10 minutes)
-Toppings: Sauce made from canned San Marzano tomatoes, graded mozzarella, very thinly sliced roma tomatoes, torn fresh basil
-Typical electric home oven heated to 550 until beeper goes off and then wait another 20-30 minutes before pie is slid onto stone from peel
-Cooked on a pizza stone (in oven during heating of course) at second rack from top

When I told my wife I'm planning on experimenting with new ways of making my pizza better, she said, "That's fine, just make mine the same way you always have and experiment all you want with yours". No problem doll face...

It's time I opened up my trusted recipe and made my pizzas better. Thankfully I can always fall back to what has worked great for years. It's a win-win.

cheers,

Howard

Offline Moondance

• Supporting Member
Re: To the Newbies (from an old newb)
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 10:15:28 PM »
Your pizza looks awesome. Thanks for sharing your story.  I'm a newborn newbie of only about 3 months. 
Regina

"Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where nature may heal and give strength to body and soul."
John Muir