Author Topic: My Go to Dough in the Stephano  (Read 1157 times)

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
My Go to Dough in the Stephano
« on: May 16, 2011, 10:40:09 PM »
I returned the dough trays I borrowed to Frank at Vesta Pizzeria In East Rutherford. I had 4 dough left over from sunday party so I put them in tupperware at around 12:30 pm and headed out. I  arrived at Vesta around 3:15 knowing it would be nice and quiet and yes Frank let me cook my friday night 70-30 in his beautiful Stephano. What an oven!! little flames (much less than I had in the big guy barrel) and way more heat. Very even heat and very little smoke perfect design I am thinking I need one of these babies ! then I snapped out of it  :-D
We cooked up  2 of my doughs and one of his. 2.5 -3 min bake. We taste tested side by side against what he sells (which is awesome) Mine was a touch lighter and slightly less chew. The 70% Caputo had a different flavor also and it was also 2 1/2 days old.In my opinion perfect timing.  Frank was impressed and I was also. I would happily pay for this pizza any day. We used his secret tomatoes, and his daily made fresh mozz. YUMMY! Thanks for letting me live the dream Frank! very cool
heres  2 pies from my batch Its all true about what they say about these dream ovens!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 10:49:56 PM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
Re: My Go to Dough in the Stephano
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 11:32:40 PM »
Dang pies look so tasty as always! So whats the "secret tomatoes" all about eh?
 ;D
-Bill

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 11:44:00 PM »
Bill,
Its just that a secret, they are tasty bright red and I am thinking could be stanislous product? Frank has been so great with me I am not pushing him for anything sorry, I am just happy to have a new pizza friend.
John

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 12:27:03 AM »
What a treat, to be able to see how your dough would bake up in a SF.   John, I think if more pizzeria owners were eating what members here are making, they would no doubt be impress as Frank was. 

The cheese looks great btw.  Did you catch what curd they are using if they are using curd?  If that is a secret too, then no worries.   ;D

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 07:26:54 AM »
You lucky SOB! What a great experience. Do you know what size oven it was?

John

Offline PizzaPolice

• Supporting Member
  • WFO-Where Art & Physics meet - Heat is the Arbiter
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 09:12:01 AM »
Now that's "Flirting with Fire!"  Lucky dog.

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 12:16:39 PM »
Was the oven at their normal operating temperature?  2.3-3 minutes in that oven seems like owning a Porsche but never getting on the express way.
-Jeff

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 12:25:23 PM »
Yes he does a Neo NY style at around 750

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011, 12:29:20 PM »
Seems like the oven would be overkill, but gotta respect the heck out of somebody who wants the best regardless
-Jeff

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2011, 12:48:08 PM »
Vesta has 2 side by side ! Pics are posted here somewhere. Very nice There if if ever decides to change the style of pizza. What he puts out is exceptional! Not a waste at all I also posted in review section
John

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2011, 05:18:08 PM »
Sorry if I came across as thinking it was a waste.  More power too him.  I know you posted about his diving arm mixer too, he obviosuly isn't messing around and I'm sure the product shows it.  My point was more along the lines that there are lots of cheaper mass produced UL listed american ovens that will cook evenly in the 2.5-3 minute range.  Generally the cost and hassle of import for an oven like this is because there are very few ovens in the world that can cook evenly at 900F+, let alone UL listed ones..
-Jeff

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2011, 07:50:38 PM »
Yes gotcha, I have not asked the reasons for his selection of ovens but I am thinking money was not a top priority when putting the whole resutarnt package together. The whole place is done up right building Bar, Expresso Machine... Frank is also a trained chef and as you said obviously understands the importance quality food and equipment! From what we have discussed he has worked with many commercial ovens and other WFO resturants as well. In my opinion for the little its worth I feel this is the best bang for your buck as far as quality, reputation, cooking ... not sure to many woodies would dissagree.  There are cheaper but man these babies are the way to go. I wish him many  many  perfect pies! Also nice to have someone who understands my passion for pizza as well.
John