Author Topic: Using the DD Dough tool  (Read 460 times)

Offline xrayguy

Using the DD Dough tool
« on: May 17, 2011, 08:04:30 PM »
Warning: I'm a noob on the forum, but I have read through every post concrrning Chicago Style pizza. I have several questions, but I will post them separately since they are not all related.

I know there are slightly different variations on the chicago style deep dish dough, depending on which restaurant you favor, but when using the dough calculator, is there a standard range as far as hydration % goes?

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Using the DD Dough tool
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 01:02:40 PM »
Cody,

I have not studied the range of hydration values for the deep-dish doughs. Maybe sometime it would be interesting to research what the hydration ranges are. However, I have looked at typical ranges of the amounts of oil and other fats in deep-dish doughs. There may be some outlier values, but I would say that the range is from about 8% to around 28%. Why this is is important is because a dough with say, 8% oil, will have a much higher hydration value (a higher amount of water) than one with 28% oil. The amount of water and oil have to be in balance in just about any given deep-dish dough recipe. Otherwise, the dough can end up being too wet or too dry. I think the safest approach to take is to find good deep-dish dough recipes and use the hydration values and other quantities of ingredients set forth in the recipes.

Peter