Author Topic: Micucci's Sicilian Slabs; Portland, Maine  (Read 2878 times)

Offline pizzablogger

Micucci's Sicilian Slabs; Portland, Maine
« on: May 18, 2011, 05:55:06 PM »
Anyone see this on Slice today?

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2011/05/portland-me-micuccis-sicilian-slabs.html

The main pic was in need of exposure correction, which I have included here. Pic fixed

I think the restrained, arguably sparse, application of toppings looks very nice indeed....you could argue that the need to five punch downs over a three hour fermentation regimen is too much yeast and/or too hot a temperature (and too short a time), but that's talk for another day.

90% hydration ratio, according to the article. It does look pretty good from the pics. --K
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 09:57:21 AM by pizzablogger »
"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

Offline Matthew

Re: Micucci's Sicilian Slabs; Portland, Maine
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 06:01:50 PM »
Anyone see this on Slice today?

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2011/05/portland-me-micuccis-sicilian-slabs.html

The main pic was in need of exposure correction, which I have included here.

I think the restrained, arguably sparse, application of toppings looks very nice indeed....you could argue that the need to five punch downs over a three hour fermentation regimen is too much yeast and/or too hot a temperature (and too short a time), but that's talk for another day.

90% hydration ratio, according to the article. It does look pretty good from the pics. --K

K,
Looks more like Pizza Romana than Sicilian, no?
I'm Sicilian & this doesn't look like my nonna's pizza.  Sicilian pizza is very bready & not nearly as hydrated.  None the less it looks fantastic.

Matt
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 06:03:26 PM by Matthew »

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 06:16:47 PM »
That does look really good. I am headed up there in a few weeks, and I will be sure to try it out.

John

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 06:45:22 PM »
K,
Looks more like Pizza Romana than Sicilian, no?
I'm Sicilian & this doesn't look like my nonna's pizza.  Sicilian pizza is very bready & not nearly as hydrated.  None the less it looks fantastic.

Matt

Si senore, pizza Romana indeed.

But then again, the exact definition of "Sicilian" is confusing, at best. My parents and friends of the family each reported not seeing a single square shaped pizza being sold in Sicily while there (granted they were not pizza sluething).

I've had one Nonna in Little Italy tell me I must use semolina in my square and another tell me it is crazy to put semolina in it (and both are of Sicilian desent), so who can say? lmao  ;D
"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

Offline Matthew

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 07:05:36 PM »

I've had one Nonna in Little Italy tell me I must use semolina in my square and another tell me it is crazy to put semolina in it (and both are of Sicilian desent), so who can say? lmao  ;D

Semola is very common in Italy but not so common here because of availability. I am lucky enough to get it from a wholesaler. It adds a really nice soft texture to the finished product.

Matt

Offline Jose L. Piedra

• Ebeddu e cavuru, e beddu davveru!
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 07:08:45 PM »
My parents and friends of the family each reported not seeing a single square shaped pizza being sold in Sicily while there (granted they were not pizza sluething).

I think it depends where in Sicily you are. The Sicilian pizza is above all associated with Palermo. AFAIK the sfincionello trucks continue to do good business there.

JLP
Scarsu d'ogghiu, e riccu di provolazzu ::)