Author Topic: Kaboom! - Be warned!  (Read 154 times)

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
Kaboom! - Be warned!
« on: August 28, 2015, 01:50:04 PM »
I have ready in a few places that, when you feed your starter, it should be covered "loosely."

Well, I have never done that, always just using a round Cambro 1 quart container - putting the lid on it and moving on. 

Yesterday, I took my neglected Ischia out of the fridge and it, 1 part starter, 1 part flour, 1 part water - totaling about 16 ounces.  I put the lid on and left it on the counter.  By evening, it had barely budged (not surprised) so I left it on the counter overnight.  This morning, sure enough, the starter had risen all the way to the top of the container and had overflowed all over the counter.

No big deal.  I took it over to the sink so I could wash the outside of the container and give the starter another feeding. 

BAM!!!!!!!!

The lid popped off the container with a bang and flew about 8 feet to the other side of the room.  Luckily, most of the spillage was in the sink (and on my cheek and eyeglasses).

So, now you are warned.   :P
Mitch

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Re: Kaboom! - Be warned!
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 02:01:25 PM »
Mitch,

I use the same containers and have found some lids have a really tight seal that can lead to explosions, but most do this:

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2015, 02:20:55 PM »
That is what my did, although it was for much longer so much more had leaked out all over the counter.  I think what may have happened is that starter may have dried out around the lid and sealed it more - there was no place to go.  But, I do not want to repeat the test to test my hypothesis.
Mitch

Offline TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2015, 03:12:05 PM »
You're lucky you used a plastic container. This dude put the lid on his mason jar full of starter too tight and the explosion took out 4 houses.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline bigMoose

• Kneading is Happiness!
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2015, 08:19:41 PM »
I drilled about Qty(6) 3/16 holes in the lid of my 1 Qt Cambro and covered the holes with scotch tape.  Sort of like a poor mans "burst disc" for my container.

pizzapan