Author Topic: Napoli goes crazy on this Pizzaiolo...  (Read 1749 times)

Offline schneich

• I Love Pizza!
Napoli goes crazy on this Pizzaiolo...
« on: January 16, 2016, 08:39:07 AM »

hi forum,

long time no see, since i am about to start my second pizzeria napoletana i am deeply involved in pizza again.
on a recent trip to naples, where we visited every possible oven builder, we found that this pizzaiolo is the hottest
kid in town right now. his pies feature an enourmous corniccione which melts like butter in your mouth. even local popstars
and napoli soccer players come to his place and take a selfie with him....

the guys name is carlo sammarco

https://www.facebook.com/carlo.sammarco

cheers from cologne....

Offline Soulboy

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Napoli goes crazy on this Pizzaiolo...
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2016, 08:58:34 AM »
That's beautiful!

My Italian is not that good but as far as I understood from his videos and the restaurants page:

70-77% hydration
48h
12 degrees?
Mix of Caputo pizzeria and the green one?

Could any of you who are better at Italian check and correct?

https://www.facebook.com/LaCantinaDeiMille/
Effeuno p134h + raised biscotto + insulated door
Pizza Party 70x70 (stock)

Offline sub

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2016, 11:37:47 AM »
36h di lievi-maturazione, ovvero 24h a temperatura ambiente e 12h a temperatura controllata a circa 14°. Idratazione altissima, 70% e pochissimo lievito, appena lo 0.3 sul litro d’acqua!

https://cosamettoatavola.wordpress.com/2015/12/28/la-cantina-dei-mille-na-carlo-sammarco-lartigiano-della-pizza-2-0/
http://www.lucianopignataro.it/a/grande-notizianapoli-la-cantina-dei-mille-piazza-garibaldi-carlo-sammarco/89736/
« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 03:07:31 PM by sub »

Offline schneich

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2016, 11:42:19 AM »
as far as i know he uses a mixture of caputo pizzeria, caputo viola and caputo ricca...

Offline Obsauced

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2016, 07:38:12 PM »
36h di lievi-maturazione, ovvero 24h a temperatura ambiente e 12h a temperatura controllata a circa 14°. Idratazione altissima, 70% e pochissimo lievito, appena lo 0.3 sul litro d’acqua!

https://cosamettoatavola.wordpress.com/2015/12/28/la-cantina-dei-mille-na-carlo-sammarco-lartigiano-della-pizza-2-0/
http://www.lucianopignataro.it/a/grande-notizianapoli-la-cantina-dei-mille-piazza-garibaldi-carlo-sammarco/89736/

holy hell 70% hydration?! I thought I was going crazy with 67% on my latest batch!!  :'( :'(
instagram.com/obsauced

Offline ponzu

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2016, 07:53:00 PM »
I would absolutely love to try that pizza. I am quite sure it is obscenely delicious

But honestly, strictly aesthetically speaking, I don't like the cornicione to be that big. It looks too muffin like to me.

Offline Soulboy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2016, 03:19:10 AM »
Check this video where he demonstrates the "slap" at 75%...

There are some more dough handling videos on both his own and restaurants face book pages.
Effeuno p134h + raised biscotto + insulated door
Pizza Party 70x70 (stock)

Offline ponzu

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2016, 12:56:14 PM »
That video is money!  Talk about skills!

Offline Don Luigi

• I Love Pizza!
Napoli goes crazy on this Pizzaiolo...
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2016, 01:10:44 PM »
I love the look of these pies. They look feather light. Like a higher hydration UPN Pie...awesome! His dough is obviously very well fermented and very high HR. Wow!
On a neapolitan pizza journey with Wood fired oven Pizza Party 70x70
My Pizza

Offline pizzadaheim

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2016, 02:09:00 AM »
I

But honestly, strictly aesthetically speaking, I don't like the cornicione to be that big. It looks too muffin like to me.

I agree too much cornicione

Offline Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2016, 08:01:07 AM »
I bet that cornicione is mostly air.

Offline stormholloway

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2016, 03:50:53 PM »
I feel like I'm being robbed of ingredient space. I hope that cornicione is filled with cheese or Skittles or something. Still beautiful, though I feel like he could afford to dial down the hydration.

Offline Jordan

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2016, 07:42:24 PM »
I think any negative comments about the cornicione need to be rethought.

A lot of the overall experience in enjoying pizza napoletana is in the texture. Something pictures can't completely capture.

Every great chef/artist emulates the past to eventually create something unique in the future. Carlo clearly puts HIS stamp on HIS pizza, like no other I've seen. This pizzaiolo is a master.
-Jordan

Offline Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2016, 08:06:01 PM »

A lot of the overall experience in enjoying pizza napoletana is in the texture. Something pictures can't completely capture.

Every great chef/artist emulates the past to eventually create something unique in the future. Carlo clearly puts HIS stamp on HIS pizza, like no other I've seen. This pizzaiolo is a master.

Absolutely agree.  Well said.  Until we've eaten the pizza, we can't make a definitive judgement.  I do know from the hydration and the way the dough looks before and post bake, it's likely that the crust is very light and may even have a crispiness to the outer layer.  No wonder ppl are going gaga over his pizza.

Offline Jordan

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2016, 08:17:28 PM »
Absolutely agree.  Well said.  Until we've eaten the pizza, we can't make a definitive judgement.  I do know from the hydration and the way the dough looks before and post bake, it's likely that the crust is very light and may even have a crispiness to the outer layer.  No wonder ppl are going gaga over his pizza.

I've been experimenting with sourdough bread a lot lately (although I want to keep this pizza related) and I must say that the higher hydration and colder ferments create a very digestible and distinguished bite. The way the breads chew and tear are completely different when implementing identical protocols/ingredients/bake in juxtaposition to higher/lower hydrations (as the sole variable).

I'm sure most of you are more than aware of that and after knowing some of the details of Carlo's dough, you could imagine the suppleness of his creations.

In my experience and opinion regarding neapolitan pizza, a dense cornicione is unpleasant.
-Jordan

Offline parallei

• Supporting Member
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2016, 08:53:32 PM »
I bet that cornicione is mostly air.

Yes.  I did 70% HR on my 2Stone (30% HG/ 70% 00, starter) and they blew up like that.  I'd forgotten about those pies and will need to try again one day.

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=13911.msg151931#msg151931

Offline stormholloway

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2016, 04:38:18 PM »

I'm not saying it's objective truth. I just think there's a certain point where a cornice is invading ingredient space. I'm sure it's a delicious pizza.

Offline invertedisdead

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2016, 06:37:20 PM »
I'm not saying it's objective truth. I just think there's a certain point where a cornice is invading ingredient space. I'm sure it's a delicious pizza.

A bigger rim would make room for less ingredients, but in the picture it looked like he used 2-3x as much cheese as a lot of Margherita's Ive seen.
Ryan

Offline schold

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2016, 06:49:41 PM »

Nah, it's too big...
Cooking is not a recipe, it's a philosophy - unless it's pastry, then it's chemistry.

- Marco Pierre White

Offline derricktung

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2016, 08:58:02 AM »
Interesting.. makes me think of when I first started making pizza doughs at market and we were at 70% hydration.  Our market pies definitely had much higher corncione.  75% is quite a bit more...

Watching his dough balls and bulk mix though makes me curious.. my recent Detroit explorations (70-75%) definitely have far more "stickiness" to the dough than what he's demonstrating here.  I wonder if I'm just rushing the mixing process too much and not letting the dough rest enough? 

Very interesting stuff.  Thanks for the share!

Offline Jordan

« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2016, 01:25:06 AM »
Nah, it's too big...

So is Chad Robertson's country loaf "too burnt" as well?
-Jordan