Author Topic: Neapolitan North  (Read 1152 times)

Offline vandev

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Neapolitan North
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2014, 08:28:32 AM »
those pizzas look awesome..  really delicious...... :drool:

Chris

Offline rsaha

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2014, 08:50:20 PM »
Thanks guys. I'm trying :) This place is an amazing resource for newbies.

I had a left over ball - 24 hour 68 degree ferment that spent the day in the fridge. Fired it as a loaf at about 550. Just drizzled a bit of olive oil on it before cooking. Pretty tasty actually.

Offline rsaha

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2014, 09:27:37 PM »
First attempt at room temperature ferment. I got a scale that goes to 1/10 of a gram (wasn't thinking straight - 1/100 is what I really need) to measure out the 0.105g of ADY for 500g flour. Put it in a wine cooler set to 65F 24/24. Interesting difference - we were able to get 13 inch pies pretty easily at 270g. A little too much wine and cocktails before firing so wasn't really able to discern an improvement in taste although the texture was definitely better - nice and soft. I saw a youtube clip about Da Michele where the pizza was described to have the texture of a wet blanket. This was definitely closer to a wet blanket than I've had yet. Just finished making some dough. This week I'll be trying out the 2stone!

Two pizza pics from this weekend - the third one wasn't so round :)

Offline rsaha

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2014, 10:47:41 PM »
Attention all 2stone owners - I am looking for any help/observations/wisdom you have to share.

I finally have my 2stone up and running. No pics but tonight was the first cook. Initial observations - this thing is built to last forever. Cannot be compared to the Blackstone from a build perspective. Lots has been said but I will re-state some high level observations.

Body construction - stainless vs. painted cheap chinese steel - no contest.  Much heavier stones - have to assume this will result in more stable temperature. Way more firepower. That's a mean burner. I had it set to what I thought was very low for an even pre-heat (no roar from the burner) while I did some other stuff. IR gun reported 850. I can't imagine what this thing could get to flat out.

The rotisserie motor is also much more robust. The Blackstone rotisserie is flimsy by any standard. However, it has worked fine so far and I believe it is a standard mount so can be replaced at any time. Williard makes a super product that's built to last.

The only thing that's the Blackstone has (besides price obviously) is the much larger opening. Makes it easier for a rookie like me to launch. There's no doing a Dylan shuffle with the 2stone. No room but on the other hand you can move the burner - not sure yet how to best use this capability. I'm sure I will improve my launch skills as a result (going to have to). I pre-heated with the burner set about mid way and then moved it to the back (so it is similar to Blackstone position on the side as far as the circle of stone goes) and cranked it.

I have been launching on the Blackstone about 725. This has worked for me so far. Tonight I launched the first pie at 850. More pronounced char for sure but in a good way. Bottom was still nice and soft where I find when I launch at 850 on the blackstone I get a crisper crust (which I don't personally like). Tried dialling the 2stone down to around 725 for the second pizza and found the bottom to be underdone in the middle at the point where I got the cornicione to a point where I like it. This is the first time I've seen this so I'm attributing it to temperature because I don't know any better but it looks like 850 is the right number for the 2stone and I just lucked into it :)

I have a few more weeks of going the the lake house (where the Blackstone lives) so I will be posting results from both for a bit then it's 2stone for the winter here in the Great White North.

Going to have to get busy building a stand. 2stone comes without a stand and launching from my knees not the best position...

I am very, very happy with my new toy. Always wanted a WFO but I live in the city and I just don't have anywhere I can put one. 2stone gets a place of honour on my deck next to my BGE. 

« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 08:43:50 PM by rsaha »

Offline parallei

« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2014, 11:50:57 PM »
There's no doing a Dylan shuffle with the 2stone.

With a small round banjo peal you can do some shifting about.  I use one like this: http://www.webstaurantstore.com/american-metalcraft-17080-8-round-pizza-peel-with-aluminum-blade/12417080.html

I pre-heated with the burner set about mid way and then moved it to the back (so it is similar to Blackstone position on the side as far as the circle of stone goes) and cranked it.

That sounds about right.  You can pull it back towards the center if things get out of hand.  For longer 650ish bakes, having back towards the center will help with excessive top heat.  You can push it back out to the back to "dome" it.

825 - 850F works for me for NP.

........ and launching from my knees not the best position...

Ouch!

Have fun and keep us posted!
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 12:02:45 AM by parallei »

Offline rsaha

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2014, 10:51:46 PM »
Thanks for the tip. That peel looks like it would do the trick nicely.

Lousy weather this weekend so no lake house. Bright side - cooking withe the 2stone! Hacked together a temporary stand so no more launching pizzas on my knees. I was surfing Polselli flour (that's the flour I seem to be able to get here) and I learned that it is recommended for 8-10 hour ferments due to something incomprehensible called W rating or something. I had a 48 hour ferment going but I pulled out the KA and made a couple balls worth. 4/6 ferment to see what the difference might be - comparing it to the 48 hour ferment.

It was quite an interesting tradeoff. The  10 hour ferment opened up nicely and just generally worked better. The 48 hour ferment had much more developed flavour. The 10 hour ferment had a better texture when cooked. I think I'll try a 24 hour ferment to see if that gets me the best of both worlds.

I have a local italian grocery that thinks they can get me some Caputo so hopefully I'll be able to get my hands on some soon. I'm currently waiting for my Ischia culture to arrive. Looking forward to making the jump to working with a starter. The margherita is the 48 hour ferment, the sausage and olive is the 10 hour.

Traveling in the US this week - will be visiting Cane Rosso in Dallas to see if I'm doing things anywhere near where I'm supposed to be :)

Offline rsaha

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2014, 10:57:15 PM »
Didn't realize the exposure was so low on the margherita pizza. Here's a brighter shot...