Author Topic: Saputo for 2Stone  (Read 503 times)

Offline rsaha

• Still waiting for the "aha"
Saputo for 2Stone
« on: May 08, 2016, 11:10:49 PM »
With all the raving about Saputo I'm wondering how I can get some of this goodness in my life :). I searched "Blackstone Saputo" to try to understand whether this would be good/bad or indifferent and all I found was Craig's comment that this wouldn't be a good idea.

Craig, my no doubt flawed thinking goes like this. Top temp in a 2stone is always a balance with bottom temp because the fire has to go past the lower stone. I am always fiddling to try to bring up my top stone temp while keeping the lower stone under 800ish as I find if it creeps much above this is burns. I was thinking if I could keep the bottom temp down (or cook safely at a higher deck temp) then I would be golden.

I don't understand conductivity at all so please forgive the likely stupid question.

Romain

Offline parallei

• Supporting Member
Re: Saputo for 2Stone
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2016, 11:56:14 PM »
Romain,

I understand completely where you are headed with this.  My years long experience with the 2Stone also lead me to feel that, at higher temps, the bottom would torch off way before the top was there.  I think a less conductive bottom stone might help.  Also, Larry's recent post concerning a "Chaufelctor" is intriguing.  More direct top heat.  Many of the Blackstone folks put washers under their stones to try for some insulation (air) between the heat source and the bottom stone.

Conductively is not hard to understand.  Simply put, different materials transfer energy at different rates.  Do this (thought) experiment: Tonight, water here in Denver boils at about 202 deg F.  I can heat my oven to about that temperature and stick my hand in it in the air and will be good for a few seconds or more.  I wouldn't do the same with a pot of boiling water.

Offline Gianni5

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2016, 01:41:53 AM »
That's funny I just asked essentially the same question about my electric pizzamaster oven. The oven can get very hot but totally out of balance at the highest temps.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2016, 08:34:04 AM »
My comment was in response to a question for an OP that wasn't actually having a bottom heat problem and was just asking for thoughts on what the differences might be as compared to the stock BS stone. In my experience, excessive bottom charring wasn't an issue with the BS. For someone having that issue, it's conceivable that the Saputo might help.

I believe the bottom stone is a 2Stone is Fibrament as opposed to cordierite in the BS. If this is the case, you already have a much lower conductivity stone in the 2Stone. I suspect the Saputo is even lower than Fibrament, but the difference wouldn't be anywhere near as stark as swapping the stone in a BS for Saputo.   I'd suggest trying the washer mod before swapping the stone (put 6 or 8 thin stainless steel washers between the stone and the plate that supports it. Look for stainless washers 1-2mm thick. You can find them at any major hardware store).
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline parallei

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2016, 09:05:51 AM »
My comment was in response to a question for an OP that wasn't actually having a bottom heat problem and was just asking for thoughts on what the differences might be as compared to the stock BS stone. In my experience, excessive bottom charring wasn't an issue with the BS. For someone having that issue, it's conceivable that the Saputo might help.

I believe the bottom stone is a 2Stone is Fibrament as opposed to cordierite in the BS. If this is the case, you already have a much lower conductivity stone in the 2Stone. I suspect the Saputo is even lower than Fibrament, but the difference wouldn't be anywhere near as stark as swapping the stone in a BS for Saputo.   I'd suggest trying the washer mod before swapping the stone (put 6 or 8 thin stainless steel washers between the stone and the plate that supports it. Look for stainless washers 1-2mm thick. You can find them at any major hardware store).

The 2stone's stone sits in a dish of sorts.  I never did measure it, but I'd guess there is an 1-1/2" air gap between the bottom of the dish and the stone.

Offline rsaha

• Still waiting for the "aha"
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2016, 08:34:28 AM »
That's right. The dish under the lower stone is concave so only the edges come in contact with the metal below. Williard really thought this one through... Guess there's no silver bullet. Practice, practice, practice :)
Romain

Offline parallei

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2016, 06:01:59 PM »
I'm not so sure it is just practice, practice, practice.  I think the Saputo is worth a try.  Then again, it's always fun to spend other peoples money. ;D

Offline ringkingpin

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2016, 08:00:06 AM »
That "dish" may or may not be a heat treated tilling disc  ;D
"Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you who you are."
 Brillat-Savarin

Offline ringkingpin

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2016, 08:01:03 AM »
Sometimes I'll get a wet rag, wrap it around a wooden spoon and then wipe the surface off the hot bottom stone.  This removes about 30-50 degrees and it also removes any black carbon.
"Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you who you are."
 Brillat-Savarin