Author Topic: New brick oven that im having trouble with  (Read 284 times)

Offline gd125

• I Love Pizza!
New brick oven that im having trouble with
« on: August 18, 2014, 12:41:24 PM »
Im knew to this forum and I was looking to buy a brick oven.  After some research I ended up getting  a gas/wood combo oven from PC brick ovens because i figured gas would be a conveninet feature..  I just cant seem to get the pies to cook right when i fire this thing up with gas.  how hot should i have the dome and how hot should the floor be. i have a tough time getting the floor hot enough?..Any advice would help?..i feel like top burns and bottom never cooks.
..the bottom link is example of my oven

http://pcbrickovens.com/

thanks
gary

Online TXCraig1

Re: New brick oven that im having trouble with
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 01:04:23 PM »
My oven seems to work best when the deck is about 850F and the walls farthest from the fire are ~925-950F. I like having a flame rolling over the dome when I bake, so the dome temp is a moot point.

Burned top and under-cooked bottom is the opposite situation from what we generally see when someone is having oven problems. It's almost always a matter of not enough top heat or a too-conductive deck resulting in burnt bottoms and pale, undercooked tops.

How long are you pre-heating the oven and hot is the deck when you launch a pie?
Pizza is not bread.

Offline gd125

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 02:07:44 PM »
The top dome is reaching heat of 850-900. However it seems as though the bottom floor will not pass 350-400.  Do I need to heat it for a longer period of time?....I cranked it last time and got abt 500 floor temp and 800 high dome temp but it seems as though the floor temp cools down fast and my crust is not gettin that bake but jus rather raw.  or my top will burn and bottom will be somewhat barely done and the inside of dough is still not cooked.

attached is pic of oven

Offline gd125

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 02:20:26 PM »
i forgot too mention ...it took me about an hour to get to those etmps mentioned above.

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2014, 02:21:03 PM »
The top dome is reaching heat of 850-900. However it seems as though the bottom floor will not pass 350-400.  Do I need to heat it for a longer period of time?....I cranked it last time and got abt 500 floor temp and 800 high dome temp but it seems as though the floor temp cools down fast and my crust is not gettin that bake but jus rather raw.  or my top will burn and bottom will be somewhat barely done and the inside of dough is still not cooked.

attached is pic of oven

It could take several hours - particularly with gas. With wood, the heat is right over the floor and can conduct straight into it. With gas, you rely on the conduction of air and radiant heat from other parts of the oven which is far less efficient. It might take 8-10 hours for all I know?

I think you should turn it on very early the next time you bake and see if you can get up to at least 750F. Your dome should probably be north of 1000. Take the deck temp after you remove the first pie too to see how much heat you really have built up. If it drops a lot, you will need to preheat even longer. You may find that 750 is not enough or too much depending on the construction of your oven and what you want to accomplish.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline gd125

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2014, 02:41:28 PM »
i was thinking to just go ahead and try wood then.  I had a hunch that since the gas flame is in the corner that it may not be transferring efficiently enough to the floor like in a wood fire.  I will try and pre warm it early with gas and see if i can reach these temperatures.

I also thought that maybe since i have a baking steel I can use that on floor because it absorbs heat very well and transfers it.

thanks

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2014, 02:44:07 PM »
Once you have it heated with wood, maybe you can switch over to gas.

You could try the baking steel. At lower temps with gas, it might work. Doesn't hurt to try.
Pizza is not bread.

Online Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2014, 03:07:55 PM »
Fire it with wood, then cook with the gas.  Best of both worlds.

Offline dineomite

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2014, 09:55:43 PM »
I agree with the above. fire it with wood first. The coals are going to help you heat that floor. Once you build a decent coal bed you shouldn't have a problem.

pizzapan