Author Topic: My Neopolitans  (Read 287 times)

Offline Jajo

• I Love Pizza!
My Neopolitans
« on: August 27, 2014, 08:07:07 PM »
Since I mostly lurk and try to learn, I figure today I'll show what I have been up to.

With this last round of dough, I made two.  I cold formented one (~40 degrees), and with the other, I used Craig's method of leaving the dough in a cooler with some ice on the side (~62-65 degrees).  In addition, I used baker's yeast with the 62 degree dough, and IDY with the other. 

I left both doughs out at room temperature for about 4 hours before I baked.  The cold ferment was much easier to work with.  It was much less prone to tearing.  The 62 degree ferment was more delicate, but it produced a better product.  If I were to open a pizzeria, I'm not sure which method would be used.  Putting something in a refrigerator is just so convenient, and predictable (unless it breaks, which they love to do in the summer)

Some more things I wanted to note:

• I have been using a Blackstone oven.  I get the stone at about 750, and the roof around 850.  Is there a way to get charring on the top of the pizza without having to bring it to the roof? 
    The last two pictures are of the cold ferment. 
    I bought a Kitchenaid mixer.  So not worth it.  I'd rather knead with my hands. 
    I can't get a good crumb.  It's very bread-like.  This bothers me.  I probably should use a culture, but I'm not sure I want to play with that yet.
    I made 6 pizzas, but I ate only one.  It was delicious, though. 
    Buffala Mozzarella is good, but is way overpriced.  I hope to learn to make fresh mozzarella soon. 

Thanks for reading, and thanks to all that have made this forum enjoyable.  Craig, thanks so much for sharing your knowledge with all us here. 

Offline TXCraig1

Re: My Neopolitans
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 08:10:27 PM »
I'm glad I could help. Your pizza looks great! I'm happy you posted.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 10:06:25 AM »
Nice pizzas, nice photos. Your crumb looks good, but you said you feel it is too bread-like. What kind of texture would you prefer? 

Offline Jajo

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 01:12:21 PM »
Wow, thanks guys for the replies and compliments! 

Tin, specifically, I'd like some more air in the crust.  It seems a bit too spongy.  Also, the crust on one of those pizzas is terrible.  I think I goofed when I took it out of the container. 

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 02:26:15 PM »

Also, the crust on one of those pizzas is terrible.  I think I goofed when I took it out of the container. 

Jajo, I never "take " the dough out of my container, :o (maybe that's why it taste like burnt plastic?), no, I turn the container over and let it fall to the prep table. Works every time, just have to be patient at times, if the sides and bottom of the container are not prepped properly.
Nice pies. I see that your 1st pie has the same affliction that my one of my last ones had, someone cut off one side and ruined a perfectly good circle. HA HA HA. :'(
You sound like you got the bug... Happy baking to ya.

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline Jajo

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 05:18:25 PM »
I will definitely use your technique the next time (tomorrow)!  And your pizza is making me hungry! 

I don't know for sure when the Neapolitan bug bit me, but here I am.  It's always been NY style pizza for me.  I think most of all, I enjoy the intricacies of this style pizza.  NY style pizza is very straight forward, but perhaps with time and practice, Neapolitan will also seem straight forward. 

Here's another pic.  This is a warm ferment.  These dough balls were all around 220g. 

« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 05:21:00 PM by Jajo »

Offline vandev

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 08:30:26 PM »
yum... really nice.... ;D