Author Topic: Neapolitan Pizza with Pizza Party WFO  (Read 9953 times)

Offline JD

Re: Neapolitan Pizza with Pizza Party WFO
« Reply #200 on: April 16, 2015, 05:16:16 PM »
I was thinking that if I wanted to make "a lot" of pizza I would use their pizza alla metro (i.e., a long rectangular pie) and could get away with that.  Given that I entertain at most a few times  a year, the larger oven seems like it would just be more oven than I need and likely use more wood to get it up to heat (more floor space has to translate to more heat needed, no?)

It's about 28" x 8" worth of additional hearth to heat up. I don't know for sure, but I can't imagine it would take that much more wood, if any, to preheat.

Offline David Esq.

• Making pizza since 2013
« Reply #201 on: April 17, 2015, 06:33:52 AM »
Maybe not. 224 square inches of brick to saturate may not take much longer. So then maybe the question is, just for the extra money is it worth it for the extra space that I might one day but probably never use?  Do you ever find yourself thinking, I wish the oven were bigger?  Maybe to add more pizza or to just move the one you have further from the flame?

Offline Don Luigi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #202 on: April 17, 2015, 07:26:40 AM »
Maybe not. 224 square inches of brick to saturate may not take much longer. So then maybe the question is, just for the extra money is it worth it for the extra space that I might one day but probably never use?  Do you ever find yourself thinking, I wish the oven were bigger?  Maybe to add more pizza or to just move the one you have further from the flame?

Can't speak for JD obviously, but I've never though about a bigger oven honestly...so far, I might add - you never know... :-D
On a neapolitan pizza journey with Wood fired oven Pizza Party 70x70
My Pizza

Offline JD

« Reply #203 on: April 17, 2015, 08:39:09 AM »

Never when doing Neapolitan, but when making NY style 2 at a time, a little extra room never hurt anybody.

Offline Don Luigi

• I Love Pizza!
Neapolitan Pizza with Pizza Party WFO
« Reply #204 on: April 18, 2015, 08:27:34 AM »
Why is it whenever you have guests that something with your dough doesn't work out as planned. I have a dough that is really ready now but needs to survive for 6 more hours at least. I put it outside at about 12*C. Anything else I could do? Fridge is not an option, too much dough-balls I won't get em inside....
I'm 100% sure bigger batches of dough ferment much faster vs smaller batches...
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 09:07:29 AM by Don Luigi »
My Pizza

Offline Don Luigi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #205 on: April 19, 2015, 06:16:44 AM »
So, my dough was still usable. Maybe slightly on the side of over-fermentation but not by much. The texture and taste changed a bit though due to being fermented for 7 hours at much lower temps, but better than an unusable dough when you have 10 hungry guests knocking your door!
I made 15 Pies in my oven. The Oven is still in the garage while I do the prep work inside. I surely walked a couple kilometres yesterday and fire managment is not always ideal like this - but it worked even for so many pies. I'll get the oven out of the garage and into the sunlight soon!
Formula 61%/6%Ischia/2.7%Salt/Fermented total for 26 Hours at roomtemp with a 6 Hour ferment time in balls @12C.
Not many pics but I managed to do at least a few. Pie 1 and 3 is the same btw. Before and after dressing with Parma Ham, arugula and parmesano...
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 06:39:32 AM by Don Luigi »
My Pizza

Offline JD

« Reply #206 on: April 19, 2015, 09:54:06 AM »
Wow, 15 Neapolitan pizzas? Way to go, those look great as usual.

Offline aspendos

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #207 on: April 20, 2015, 03:20:45 AM »
Servus Markus,

Great looking neapel pizza. Did you take the pics with your cell phone or with a camera?

Offline Don Luigi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #208 on: April 20, 2015, 04:18:49 AM »
Thanks JD and Cengiz!

Yeah 15 Pies was the most I did so far. It worked nicely and soon when I am next to the oven preparing the Pizzas it shouldn't be a problem at all! Everybody loved it - I was only so-so satisfied. These weren't my best but some real nice ones in there. Strife for perfection is a blessing for the others and a burden to the self, ha! The last two Pies I did where Desert Pizza with banannas and brown sugar + Hazelnut Nougat Creme. I'll be adding some ricotta to that next time and it will be very nice!

Cengiz, I am using my Iphone 5s Cam. I am always editing the pics a little with Iphone Onboard Photo Editor to get the colours a little more natural. With the right light the Iphone makes pretty good pics.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 05:21:46 AM by Don Luigi »
My Pizza

Offline schold

• ... unless it's pastry; then it's chemistry
« Reply #209 on: April 20, 2015, 06:16:50 AM »
No pizza with french fries?

Offline Don Luigi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #210 on: April 20, 2015, 06:31:50 AM »
I actually prefer to have my pizza nicely balanced - like this...;-)
My Pizza

Offline JD

« Reply #211 on: April 20, 2015, 07:55:53 AM »
Strife for perfection is a blessing for the others and a burden to the self, ha!

That's an understatement! I made 6 yesterday that everyone loved, not a single slice remaining. What they don't know is my fermentation was off again, over-fermented I believe. None were post-worthy in my opinion >:(

I think I'm going to use bakers yeast and cold ferment my next attempt, or cut way back on my starter, haven't decided yet.

No pizza with french fries?

... and you guys think Americans are fat...

Offline pizapizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #212 on: April 20, 2015, 10:45:11 AM »
they look great!

Offline schold

• ... unless it's pastry; then it's chemistry
« Reply #213 on: April 20, 2015, 02:36:45 PM »

Oh, she's a beaut - balanced both aesthetically and nutritionally...

I wish the "patatine" pizza was a joke, but I have actually seen quite a few Sardinian kids order it.

Offline Don Luigi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #214 on: April 21, 2015, 03:37:52 AM »

I think I'm going to use bakers yeast and cold ferment my next attempt, or cut way back on my starter, haven't decided yet.

Didn't you previously use the Ischia Yeast as well? Why don't you go back and try that again? The 1 gr per Liter of Water Formula for Cake Yeast and 24 Hour Roomtemp works quite well if you wanna go there.
My Pizza

Offline JD

« Reply #215 on: April 21, 2015, 08:37:08 AM »
Didn't you previously use the Ischia Yeast as well? Why don't you go back and try that again? The 1 gr per Liter of Water Formula for Cake Yeast and 24 Hour Roomtemp works quite well if you wanna go there.

Unfortunately I hadn't used my Ischia for so long, and I neglected to refresh it every now and then so it became spoiled and I threw it away.

Great minds think alike however, last night I made dough using IDY for a room temp fermentation to use tonight. It was the last of my Caputo so I hope it goes well.

pizzapan