Author Topic: 2Stone pizza pics  (Read 46698 times)

Offline corkd

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: 2Stone pizza pics
« Reply #260 on: April 27, 2014, 10:36:05 AM »
2 from last nite. Caputo, 66%, 1.5% starter, 40 hour.. Took a cue from Roberta's & upped my HR%- big difference in taste & texture. Dough almost opens itself.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #261 on: April 27, 2014, 12:30:19 PM »
Nice. I like the fresh (not dry) look.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline dineomite

« Reply #262 on: April 27, 2014, 01:26:06 PM »
Corkd,

Really nice looking pies. Do you think you're going to stay at 66%, or are you going to inch up from there?

Offline corkd

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #263 on: April 27, 2014, 02:35:13 PM »
Thanks Craig. I use your work flow & SD %. Very helpful.

Dinomite, I think I'll stay here for a while. This HR is a good fit for my modest skill level. It might prove to be more difficult as the temp & humidity increase (as far as sticking )

What do you think? How far do you push yours?

Offline dineomite

« Reply #264 on: April 27, 2014, 03:08:33 PM »
Technically, I doubt I've pushed it much further than 66%, and even then it might have just been 65 because I was using more starter for a 24 dough.

I'm typically at 63. I've been on a pretty good streak lately, so right now I'm just trying to nail the consistency for a 24, 48, 72 hour dough. I keep playing with the yeast percentages until I get a dough I like. If I've learned anything it's that you only alter one variable at a time. This pizza thing reminds me a lot of fiddling with a golf swing.

Offline corkd

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #265 on: April 27, 2014, 06:57:03 PM »
Not a golfer- but I can relate.. Like perfecting a turn in alpine skiing. Yes, a moving target for sure.

Offline anverc

• Supporting Member
  • gameplay engineer / pizza maker
    • sourdough utility app
« Reply #266 on: April 28, 2014, 11:55:42 PM »
i tried a different opening technique and ripped this one, but it turned out amazing anyway:

100% caputo pizzaria (1% is technically KAAP)
2% starter
63% hydration
2.9% salt (a portion was smoked salt)

32hour bulk at 64F
balled, 75 hours at 35F
8 hours at 78F
the last hour it was sitting in the flour, on the counter, uncovered... we had a little accident i had to deal with  :-D
90 seconds ~800F

best crust flavor award goes to this one.  we have two others from this batch that are still at 35F.  I'll be warming them slightly less tomorrow.
i'm making a pizza utility app.  check it out and give suggestions! http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=30444.0

Offline corkd

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #267 on: April 29, 2014, 08:00:49 AM »
Looks good-- from your SD % and fermentation length I would guess you got pronounced SD favors ?
My most recent 52hr total@65 , 1.5% French starter, were just a little too pronounced for me.
I find that these SD Doughs degrade quickly in the fridge.

Offline anverc

• Supporting Member
    • sourdough utility app
« Reply #268 on: April 29, 2014, 11:08:33 AM »
Looks good-- from your SD % and fermentation length I would guess you got pronounced SD favors ?
My most recent 52hr total@65 , 1.5% French starter, were just a little too pronounced for me.
I find that these SD Doughs degrade quickly in the fridge.

I'd call the flavor perfect, but I tend to like dough that's a bit on the sour side. The starters I have do great in the fridge.  Once out of the fridge I normally let mine warm a little longer than I originally expected to get good spring.  I've done 1.3% for 48hrs @ 65F and it's not enough flavor for me.  I have friends coming over thursday and some coming over saturday - so i'll target saturday for the 52hr and let you know the difference.  I think I'm SOL for thursday (making that dough tonight)

I don't know if the photo above is Camaldoli or Ischia - I lost track of which was which a while ago.  One of the two is a little bit faster than the other, that's the one in this photo - it is currently in the jar marked Camaldoli ;)  If you're ever in Albany let me know and I'll jar them for you.

edit/note: I also have 35F up there because that's what my app (which get's it's data from txCraig's chart) limits it to, and i was copying my recipe and results from there.  We have our fridge running closer to 33-34.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 11:12:46 AM by anverc »
i'm making a pizza utility app.  check it out and give suggestions! http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=30444.0

Offline corkd

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #269 on: April 29, 2014, 06:55:06 PM »
I'd call the flavor perfect, but I tend to like dough that's a bit on the sour side. The starters I have do great in the fridge......

Actually, I meant the dough balls themselves, degrading quickly in fridge. Sorry to not be more clear. Thank you for the offer -- I have had both Italian cultures in the past, but am happy with the French version I currently use. I found that having too many starters was not for me.
Which 2 stone do you have? I use the grill model, plus I modified the weber burner to get more BTU's...

Offline anverc

• Supporting Member
    • sourdough utility app
« Reply #270 on: April 29, 2014, 07:51:06 PM »
Actually, I meant the dough balls themselves, degrading quickly in fridge. Sorry to not be more clear. Thank you for the offer -- I have had both Italian cultures in the past, but am happy with the French version I currently use. I found that having too many starters was not for me.
Which 2 stone do you have? I use the grill model, plus I modified the weber burner to get more BTU's...

I was also talking about the balls. Do you mean the shape? I have never have a ball shape left after just a few hours of sitting. Here is what today's look like.

I have the inferno. I just started using it last weekend. Before then I was on cheap stones in a gas oven and I was addin oil and sugar
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 07:53:26 PM by anverc »

Offline anverc

• Supporting Member
    • sourdough utility app
« Reply #271 on: April 29, 2014, 08:17:34 PM »
Outcome of the extra day. First attempt at bread was a failure. Flavor was better than yesterday!

Offline corkd

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #272 on: April 30, 2014, 11:16:10 AM »
Nice looking pie. I have left SD dough balls past the 48 hour window in the fridge-- maybe  to 4 extra days. The SD  takes over, & they get slack & tear easily. ADY dough balls seem to last longer.

The inferno looks like a good oven. My grill model is rusting badly.. Not sure I will replace it when it finally
Goes....

Offline anverc

• Supporting Member
    • sourdough utility app
« Reply #273 on: May 01, 2014, 06:45:13 PM »
Tonight was slightly wetter but otherwise the same. I worked the pizza for the last 30sec which resulted in far less burning than I was getting

This was my daughters first pizza :)

Corkd which idy recipe are you using? Just flour water salt and Craig's chart?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 06:49:56 PM by anverc »

Offline anverc

• Supporting Member
    • sourdough utility app
« Reply #274 on: May 03, 2014, 08:35:19 PM »
I had a close to 56hr 1.3 ferment. I really liked it.  We launched 8 pies tonight this is the only one I remembered to photo (people were freaking out and a friend demanded a photo)

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #275 on: May 03, 2014, 09:45:51 PM »
BEAUTIFUL!!!! Did you use a base with this, like maybe a sweet cream, sweetened mascarpone??

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline anverc

• Supporting Member
    • sourdough utility app
« Reply #276 on: May 04, 2014, 11:34:30 AM »
BEAUTIFUL!!!! Did you use a base with this, like maybe a sweet cream, sweetened mascarpone??

jon

thanks!
no, we were going to whip up some icing to drizzle on top but this was the end of the night and that just didn't seem reasonable.  sweetened mascarpone is a great idea, it would have gone very well with this!

this was just raw sugar, frozen black/raspberries, and some spoons here and there of chocolate hazelnut spread (similar to nutella).  the spread burned, but didn't affect the taste.  next time i'll melt it down and put it on after the bake.

Offline parallei

« Reply #277 on: May 25, 2014, 11:14:58 PM »
 SD 24 hr room temp dough.  Potato with pancetta, and a pepperoni pie.  Went a bit crazy with the mozz. ;D

Offline anverc

• Supporting Member
    • sourdough utility app
« Reply #278 on: May 28, 2014, 04:15:20 PM »
 :drool:  Those look beautiful Parallei

Tonight I take apart my 2stone and truck it to my friend's where I won't have daily access for at least a year  :'(

Offline parallei

« Reply #279 on: May 28, 2014, 05:59:12 PM »
:drool:  Those look beautiful Parallei

Thanks Anvrc!

Tonight I take apart my 2stone and truck it to my friend's where I won't have daily access for at least a year  :'(

That's no good. ???